    --
    Martin
    ©¿©¬
    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Oct 29, 2007

  2. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    dadiOH Guest

    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net wrote:
    > Hi
    > I have a talking book on CD with many chapters in mp3 format
    > I have got the same tracks that I downloaded on my hdd in mp3 format
    >
    > But, when I try to burn the same tracks from HDD to CD they are way
    > too large & won't fit
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why that is?
    > Is it possibe to compress mp3 files even more than they are?

    Because you told your burning software to make an "audio" disc. It
    then decodes the MP3s to waves. You need to make a "data" CD;
    afterall, you are just copying data from one place (HDD) to another
    (CD).

    You won't be able to play that data CD in a CD player unless the
    player has a built in MP3 to wave decoder.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Oct 29, 2007

  3. On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 14:26:40 GMT, "dadiOH" <>
    wrote:

    >Because you told your burning software to make an "audio" disc. It
    >then decodes the MP3s to waves. You need to make a "data" CD;
    >afterall, you are just copying data from one place (HDD) to another
    >(CD).
    >
    >You won't be able to play that data CD in a CD player unless the
    >player has a built in MP3 to wave decoder.

    Thank you very much
    I have been doing talking books for my visually impared brother-in-law
    His player will play mp3 discs, but I was burning wav files
    I didn't realise it was that simple
    That's another tick in the "One learns something new every day" box
    --
    Regards
    Martin
    Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net, Oct 29, 2007
  4. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Tony Guest

    Well look who it is 4 eyes from alt.freenewsservers. Why you could've
    just asked the question there. The easiest way would be to lower the
    bitrate on some of the mp3's so all of them fit on a 700 mb cd.

    Tony, Oct 29, 2007
  5. Tony wrote:
    > Well look who it is 4 eyes from alt.freenewsservers. Why you could've
    > just asked the question there. The easiest way would be to lower the
    > bitrate on some of the mp3's so all of them fit on a 700 mb cd.

    Sorry, but his question has already been answered by someone who makes
    sense.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Oct 29, 2007
  6. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    nobody > Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Tony wrote:
    >> Well look who it is 4 eyes from alt.freenewsservers. Why you could've
    >> just asked the question there. The easiest way would be to lower the
    >> bitrate on some of the mp3's so all of them fit on a 700 mb cd.

    > Sorry, but his question has already been answered by someone who makes
    > sense.

    I get the feeling that Tony has the capability of a PII-300 with 96 megs
    of RAM that's running XP.
    nobody >, Oct 29, 2007
  7. Martin ©¿©¬ @nohere.net

    Mitch Guest

    In article <>, < @nohere.net>
    wrote:

    > Hi
    > I have a talking book on CD with many chapters in mp3 format
    > I have got the same tracks that I downloaded on my hdd in mp3 format
    >
    > But, when I try to burn the same tracks from HDD to CD they are way
    > too large & won't fit
    >
    > Can anyone tell me why that is?
    > Is it possibe to compress mp3 files even more than they are?

    First of all, everything about your answer depends on whether you are
    trying to use them as MP3 files or burn them as regular audio CDs.

    If you are trying to burn regular audio CDs, for playing in any CD
    player -- well, of course they are too big. They are measured in
    minutes (not by file size), and most audio books take 12-16 discs that
    way. (If you decide to do it this way, remember you can probably use
    CD-RW discs, and delete and reuse the discs later.)

    If you are trying to make MP3 type discs, for use in a player that
    knows how to read MP3 files (and the files actually end in .mp3!):
    you can burn them in a player or right in the OS, as regular data
    discs. They will play in order there.
    MUCH more can fit that way -- because MP3 can be compressed to much
    smaller files. Audiobooks might even be compressed to 32 bit rate,
    because the fidelity isn't so demanding. You could fit hours on a
    single disc -- but again, you can't read it everywhere.

    Remember, if you are playing and burning from a program, even a good
    one like iTunes, you have to tell it which kind of disc you intend to
    make.
    (In iTunes, Preferences>Advanced>Burning> audio or MP3/data disc)
    Mitch, Oct 30, 2007