    powerful. We learn a lot about Chomsky's formative experiences as a child,
    student, academic, activist, and politician (he has campaigned for office),
    but we learn just as much about the media institutions that deny him access
    today, from ABC to PBS. The centerpiece of the film, arguably, is a long
    examination into the history of the New York Times' coverage of Indonesia's
    atrocity-ridden occupation of East Timor, reportage that (as Chomsky shows
    us) was absolutely in lock step with the government's unwillingness to
    criticize an ally. --Tom Keogh --This text refers to the VHS Tape edition.
    A Must See, Regardless of Your Views, May 15, 2000

    "

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005Y726/002-9036788-6365661?v=glance

    "This is one of the most influential documentaries I've ever seen. It has
    affected my life in ways I never imagined; like reading Walden or Catcher in
    the Rye in high school.
    It's very difficult to rebuke what Dr. Chomsky says and writes. He backs up
    his views with miles of objective research (although even he may claim that
    no source is truly objective). He spoke of East Timor in the 70's. Perhaps
    you recall sound bites about the atrocities, which finally became "public"
    in about 1999.

    But Manufacturing Consent sticks to media influence; how corporations
    control the media, and that the media is not free speech since it's owned by
    corporations. The New York Times will print what is in the interest of The
    New York Times...."

    ANDon DVD: Uncovered - The Whole Truth About the Iraq War (2003)

    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...d_sim_dv_2/002-9036788-6365661?v=glance&s=dvd

    Editorial Reviews
    AL FRANKEN
    "It's one thing for a President to lie about his sex life. It's another to
    lie about why we are sending our young men and women into battle."

    ERROL MORRIS - Filmmaker - The Fog of War
    "On a daily basis we, the American public, are exposed to unending
    administration insanities: fear mongering, the reduction of foreign policy
    to a bad video game, an exhausting audio-visual parade of lies and
    self-deceptions. Robert Greenwald's film is a welcome antidote. It sets an
    example of what a concerned and committed citizen can do. Speak truth to
    power.
    Jasmine, Sep 20, 2004

  2. Jasmine

    Jasmin Guest

    "Day Brown" <> wrote in message
    > The transnational media will try to make the election as close as
    > possible to motivate the political parties to spend as much as possible
    > on TV ads, thereby increasing their revenue.
    >
    > The journalists themselves lean more twards Kerry because they have been
    > paying attention. The behavior of Rather is rather typical, to go for
    > the scoop without taking the time to validate the info. I would not be
    > surprised to discover that the Neocons were behind the con so as to blow
    > any further investigation into GW Bush's service record.

    The U.S. News analysis also showed that during the final two years of his
    obligation, Bush did not comply with Air Force regulations that impose a
    time limit on making up missed drills. What's more, he apparently never made
    up five months of drills he missed in 1972, contrary to assertions by the
    administration. White House officials did not respond to the analysis last
    week but emphasized that Bush had "served honorably."

    Some experts say they remain mystified as to how Bush obtained an honorable
    discharge. Lawrence Korb, a former top Defense Department official in the
    Reagan administration, says the military records clearly show that Bush "had
    not fulfilled his obligation" and "should have been called to active duty."

    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/issue/040920/usnews/20guard.htm

    > BTW: I googled "shapshots of Bush in the National Guard". got no hits.
    > Asked at alt.politics about this, got no response. Curious. How does
    > anyone serve in the service without making buddies who take snapshots?
    > Curious as well, that I have asked this at alt.politics.greens, reform,
    > and libertarian, and nobody notices what aint there that should be.

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    =---
    Jasmin, Sep 24, 2004