    I go with a Canon-branded battery, or are the OEM batteries (non-Canon)
    just as good.

    Thanks in advance.

    rab, May 8, 2005

  2. rab

    Paul Rubin Guest

    rab <> writes:
    > I need to buy an additional battery for my Canon SD400 (NB-4L).
    > SHould I go with a Canon-branded battery, or are the OEM batteries
    > (non-Canon) just as good.

    The 3rd party batteries are often not quite as good, but they're so
    much cheaper that the camera maker batteries aren't worth paying for.

    Paul Rubin, May 8, 2005

  3. rab

    Paul Furman Guest

    rab wrote:

    > I need to buy an additional battery for my Canon SD400 (NB-4L). SHould
    > I go with a Canon-branded battery, or are the OEM batteries (non-Canon)
    > just as good.

    Ritz Camera brand are almost worthless!

    --
    Paul Furman
    http://www.edgehill.net/1

    Paul Furman, May 8, 2005
  4. rab

    Jim Guest

    "rab" <> wrote in message
    > I need to buy an additional battery for my Canon SD400 (NB-4L). SHould
    > I go with a Canon-branded battery, or are the OEM batteries (non-Canon)
    > just as good.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    At least one of the OEM brands should be identical to Canon because they
    don't make their batteries.
    Jim

    Jim, May 8, 2005
  5. rab

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > At least one of the OEM brands should be identical to Canon because they
    > don't make their batteries.
    > Jim

    Not necessarily true. Camera makers may specify more rigid specs, standards
    or materials than the third party brands.

    PhotoMan, May 8, 2005
  6. rab

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "PhotoMan" <> writes:
    > Not necessarily true. Camera makers may specify more rigid specs, standards
    > or materials than the third party brands.

    Or vice versa.

    Paul Rubin, May 8, 2005
  7. rab

    MarkH Guest

    rab <> wrote in news:tbWdnWsyEZ4Lw-DfRVn-
    :

    > I need to buy an additional battery for my Canon SD400 (NB-4L). SHould
    > I go with a Canon-branded battery, or are the OEM batteries (non-Canon)
    > just as good.

    The Canon batteries are often not a good as the better 3rd party ones. I
    bought some good batteries from sterlingtek that beat my original Canon
    batteries.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    understand binary and those that don't"

    MarkH, May 8, 2005
  8. rab

    peter Guest

    3rd party batteries are a much better deal. However, from time to time I
    hear horry stories about no-brand batteries exploding in cell phone, which I
    assume could happen in cameras as well.

    A middle ground would be to buy brand name 3rd party batteries or buy
    no-brand batteries from a brand-name store. Either way, someone would stand
    behind the product and therefore there would be better quality check.

    Buying no brand batteries from no brand store or ebay is the riskiest.
    Although I have done exactly that and had no problem so far.

    peter, May 8, 2005
  9. rab

    David Ellis Guest

    I've used both with a D60 and 10D. Hard to tell the difference. I've
    experienced a wide variation in the number of times the battery will
    charge among Canon and among off-brand. (It's been a year since I
    bought one.) The Canon brand BP-511 has a snap cover; the off-brand
    I've used does not. The cover is handy when storing batteries in a
    camera bag.
    --David

    David Ellis, May 8, 2005
  10. rab

    Marvin Guest

    rab wrote:
    > I need to buy an additional battery for my Canon SD400 (NB-4L). SHould
    > I go with a Canon-branded battery, or are the OEM batteries (non-Canon)
    > just as good.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    Third-party batteries can be fine. Some may be better than the ones you can buy from the
    camera maker. Get them from a reliable source. I buy batteries and chargers from
    www.thomasdistributing.com.

    Marvin, May 9, 2005
  11. rab

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Marvin <> writes:
    > Third-party batteries can be fine. Some may be better than the ones
    > you can buy from the camera maker. Get them from a reliable source.
    > I buy batteries and chargers from www.thomasdistributing.com.

    On the other hand, name brand 3rd party batteries cost almost as much
    as the OEM batteries, so I'd go with the OEM batteries in that case.
    I buy 3rd party batteries when they're a lot cheaper, which usually
    means no-name brands. So far I've done ok with them.

    Paul Rubin, May 9, 2005
  12. rab

    JohnR66 Guest

    "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    > Marvin <> writes:
    >> Third-party batteries can be fine. Some may be better than the ones
    >> you can buy from the camera maker. Get them from a reliable source.
    >> I buy batteries and chargers from www.thomasdistributing.com.

    > On the other hand, name brand 3rd party batteries cost almost as much
    > as the OEM batteries, so I'd go with the OEM batteries in that case.
    > I buy 3rd party batteries when they're a lot cheaper, which usually
    > means no-name brands. So far I've done ok with them.

    In my experience with the BP-80 (I think it was) Lithium-ion in my Fujifilm
    6800z

    Battery that shipped with the camera lasted the longest between recharges
    when it was new. It was nearly usless after three years. I could get maybe
    10 shots before the battery warning after three years. It would have cost
    $50-60 to replace. (on a 3 year old digital, no thanks)

    I bought a Digipower brand 3rd party battery for $35. It never lasted as
    long between charges and was junk after only a year.

    Next I bought a $13 BP-80 off of ebay. That is $13 shipped! It too never
    lasted between charges as the OEM, but was as good as the Digipower for a
    fraction of the price. I didn't keep the camera long after getting it, but
    I'd bet it would be junk in under a year. Still not a bad deal considering
    the price.

    Dissapointed in Li-ion, I bought a camera that used 2 AAs. I figured I'd be
    using Ni-mh, after getting over 120 shots from the alkalines, I stayed with
    the alkalines. 6 mo. later, I have 500 shots on the camera and still have
    not used up the $5 8 pack of akalines.

    OTOH, The Li-ion in my dRebel lasts quite long and has not seem to fade yet.
    I've only had the camera for 18 mo. If it lasts for 3 years, perhaps I won't
    think all Li-ion batteries suck! : )
    John

    JohnR66, May 10, 2005
  13. rab

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "JohnR66" <> writes:
    > Dissapointed in Li-ion, I bought a camera that used 2 AAs. I figured I'd be
    > using Ni-mh, after getting over 120 shots from the alkalines, I stayed with
    > the alkalines. 6 mo. later, I have 500 shots on the camera and still have
    > not used up the $5 8 pack of akalines.

    Hey, I like that. Which 2AA camera did you get, and do you use the
    flash or LCD much?

    Paul Rubin, May 10, 2005
  14. rab

    Ron Hunter Guest

    JohnR66 wrote:
    > "Paul Rubin" <http://> wrote in message
    >
    >>Marvin <> writes:
    >>
    >>>Third-party batteries can be fine. Some may be better than the ones
    >>>you can buy from the camera maker. Get them from a reliable source.
    >>>I buy batteries and chargers from www.thomasdistributing.com.

    >>On the other hand, name brand 3rd party batteries cost almost as much
    >>as the OEM batteries, so I'd go with the OEM batteries in that case.
    >>I buy 3rd party batteries when they're a lot cheaper, which usually
    >>means no-name brands. So far I've done ok with them.

    > In my experience with the BP-80 (I think it was) Lithium-ion in my Fujifilm
    > 6800z
    >
    > Battery that shipped with the camera lasted the longest between recharges
    > when it was new. It was nearly usless after three years. I could get maybe
    > 10 shots before the battery warning after three years. It would have cost
    > $50-60 to replace. (on a 3 year old digital, no thanks)
    >
    > I bought a Digipower brand 3rd party battery for $35. It never lasted as
    > long between charges and was junk after only a year.
    >
    > Next I bought a $13 BP-80 off of ebay. That is $13 shipped! It too never
    > lasted between charges as the OEM, but was as good as the Digipower for a
    > fraction of the price. I didn't keep the camera long after getting it, but
    > I'd bet it would be junk in under a year. Still not a bad deal considering
    > the price.
    >
    > Dissapointed in Li-ion, I bought a camera that used 2 AAs. I figured I'd be
    > using Ni-mh, after getting over 120 shots from the alkalines, I stayed with
    > the alkalines. 6 mo. later, I have 500 shots on the camera and still have
    > not used up the $5 8 pack of akalines.
    >
    > OTOH, The Li-ion in my dRebel lasts quite long and has not seem to fade yet.
    > I've only had the camera for 18 mo. If it lasts for 3 years, perhaps I won't
    > think all Li-ion batteries suck! : )
    > John

    Lithium-ion batteries have an average use life of 3 years, whether used
    heavily or not. Just consider it an anticipated expense if you buy them.

    --
    Ron Hunter

    Ron Hunter, May 10, 2005