    I'm told it has to do with whether the autofocus will be constantly
    re-focussing with a moving subject, but that doesn't tell me all that much.

    Anyone? Thanks in advance!

    john, Jul 11, 2004

  2. john

    Frank Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:08:23 GMT, "john" <> wrote:

    > b) Can anyone explain the Limit/Full switch near the front lens?
    >
    >I'm told it has to do with whether the autofocus will be constantly
    >re-focussing with a moving subject, but that doesn't tell me all that much.

    Sounds like you've been told wrong. The limit/full switch allows the
    autofocus to range over the full range of focusing distances or limits
    it to a part (I think half) of that range. Some experimentation with
    the switch set to limit should show you how it works and how to select
    the range it focuses. The object is to speed up autofocus by limiting
    the time spent at the wrong end of the focusing range.
    Frank, Jul 11, 2004

  3. The switch controls whether the lens searches for focus over its entire
    range ie from close up to infinity,(usually wasting battery power) or just
    within a limited range. If you are trying to focus on something with very
    little definition like the sky or fog etc, and you have the switch set to
    full, it gets confused and focuses from one end of the scale to the other.
    If you are trying to focus on something up close though, if you have it on
    limit, it won't be able to focus in close enough. If you go to
    www.nikonlinks.com there are links to manuals etc. (a great site to add to
    your favorites)

    Michael Sherman/msphoto, Jul 12, 2004
  4. john

    zorg Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 17:12:59 -0500, Frank <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:08:23 GMT, "john" <> wrote:
    >

    >> b) Can anyone explain the Limit/Full switch near the front lens?
    >>
    >>I'm told it has to do with whether the autofocus will be constantly
    >>re-focussing with a moving subject, but that doesn't tell me all that much.
    >>

    >Sounds like you've been told wrong. The limit/full switch allows the
    >autofocus to range over the full range of focusing distances or limits
    >it to a part (I think half) of that range. Some experimentation with

    On the 70-200 VR the limit option is 2.5m to infinity. I think "half",
    whatever half of infinity is in practical terms, is not the near
    focusing limit.

    zorg, Jul 12, 2004
  5. john

    Jose Marques Guest

    On Sun, 11 Jul 2004, john wrote:

    > b) Can anyone explain the Limit/Full switch near the front lens?

    It limits the range over which the AF will hunt. If the lens is focused
    beyond 2.5m (I think) when the limit switch is enabled then AF will only
    hunt between infinity and 2.5m. If the lens is focused nearer than 2.5m
    when the limit switch is enabled then AF will only hunt between 2.5m and
    the close focus distance. The limit switch also applies to manual
    focusing.

    --
    Jose Marques
    Jose Marques, Jul 12, 2004