Manual DHCP binding static-dynamic on 3750

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by colin c., Aug 15, 2006.

  1. colin c.

    colin c. Guest

    Hi NG,

    i'm currently stuck on following, i try to create a dhcp scope on one of my
    WS-C3750Gs. The global scope should begin at .16 and end at .199.
    within this scope i have deliver single ip adresses static-dynamicly via
    dhcp.dhcp works fine for the rest, but those i want to deliver
    static-dynamicly newer use there configured reservation. my config is
    according to the IOS IP Configuration Guide. as follows:

    ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.0 10.10.10.15
    ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.200 10.9.8.255
    !
    ip dhcp pool students
    network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0
    domain-name my.domain.xy
    dns-server IP_of_NS1 IP_of_NS2
    default-router 10.10.10.1
    lease 0 8 40
    !
    ip dhcp pool COMPUTER_1
    host 10.10.10.35 255.255.255.0
    hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ
    client-name COMPUTER_1

    any suggestions are welcome.
    thank you, cheers colin
    colin c., Aug 15, 2006

  2. "colin c." <> wrote in message
    > Hi NG,
    >
    > i'm currently stuck on following, i try to create a dhcp scope on one of
    > my WS-C3750Gs. The global scope should begin at .16 and end at .199.
    > within this scope i have deliver single ip adresses static-dynamicly via
    > dhcp.dhcp works fine for the rest, but those i want to deliver
    > static-dynamicly newer use there configured reservation. my config is
    > according to the IOS IP Configuration Guide. as follows:
    >
    > ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.0 10.10.10.15
    > ip dhcp excluded-address 10.10.10.200 10.9.8.255
    > !
    > ip dhcp pool students
    > network 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0
    > domain-name my.domain.xy
    > dns-server IP_of_NS1 IP_of_NS2
    > default-router 10.10.10.1
    > lease 0 8 40
    > !
    > ip dhcp pool COMPUTER_1
    > host 10.10.10.35 255.255.255.0
    > hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    you miss the OS identifier of the client

    debug dhcp will tell you whats wrong

    HTH
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Aug 15, 2006

  3. >> ip dhcp pool COMPUTER_1
    >> host 10.10.10.35 255.255.255.0
    >> hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    > you miss the OS identifier of the client
    >
    > debug dhcp will tell you whats wrong

    fx use client-identifier 0100.4063.d67b.4a
    and not hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ
    Martin Bilgrav, Aug 15, 2006
  4. colin c.

    colin c. Guest

    "Martin Bilgrav" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >>> ip dhcp pool COMPUTER_1
    >>> host 10.10.10.35 255.255.255.0
    >>> hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    >> you miss the OS identifier of the client
    >>
    >> debug dhcp will tell you whats wrong

    > fx use client-identifier 0100.4063.d67b.4a
    > and not hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    so i basicly just have to swop hardware with the client-identifier thats it.
    well ok gona try it tomorrow right away. hey martin, youre rather a speedy!
    the answer just came within 2 minutes wow!
    colin c., Aug 15, 2006
  5. colin c.

    Guest

    Martin Bilgrav wrote:
    > >> ip dhcp pool COMPUTER_1
    > >> host 10.10.10.35 255.255.255.0
    > >> hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    > > you miss the OS identifier of the client
    > >
    > > debug dhcp will tell you whats wrong

    > fx use client-identifier 0100.4063.d67b.4a
    > and not hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    i.e. if your hw address is

    XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    use

    01XX.XXYY.YYZZ.ZZ

    Thats Zero One

    ip dhcp pool 3
    host 172.19.16.201 255.255.255.0
    client-identifier 0100.166f.0370.02

    My hw address is 0016.6f03.7002
    , Aug 15, 2006
  6. colin c.

    colin c. Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> > you miss the OS identifier of the client
    >> >
    >> > debug dhcp will tell you whats wrong

    >> fx use client-identifier 0100.4063.d67b.4a
    >> and not hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    > i.e. if your hw address is
    >
    > XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ
    >
    > use
    >
    > 01XX.XXYY.YYZZ.ZZ
    >
    > Thats Zero One
    >
    > ip dhcp pool 3
    > host 172.19.16.201 255.255.255.0
    > client-identifier 0100.166f.0370.02
    >

    > My hw address is 0016.6f03.7002

    whats about the 01 prefix part? what does it define?
    colin c., Aug 15, 2006
  7. colin c.

    Guest

    colin c. wrote:
    > <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > >> fx use client-identifier 0100.4063.d67b.4a
    > >> and not hardware-address XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ

    > > i.e. if your hw address is
    > >
    > > XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ
    > >
    > > use
    > >
    > > 01XX.XXYY.YYZZ.ZZ
    > >
    > > Thats Zero One
    > >
    > > ip dhcp pool 3
    > > host 172.19.16.201 255.255.255.0
    > > client-identifier 0100.166f.0370.02
    > >

    > > My hw address is 0016.6f03.7002
    > >

    > whats about the 01 prefix part? what does it define?

    I don't know. I needed to get this working one
    day and hacked about until it did.

    Please post when you find out.

    If Aaron is listening, maybe the docs need a bit
    of tidying here? This took me several hours to get
    working a while back. That little magic 01 and the left
    justified dots took quite a bit of figuring out. (I initially tried
    right justified dots 01.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx since that seemed the
    best thing to do). As can be seen above a fully
    worked example is only a few of lines long. It was also not
    clear to me from the docs how the static reservations
    interacted with dynamic pools and I had to do experiments
    to find out.

    End of rant:)
    , Aug 16, 2006
  8. colin c.

    colin c. Guest

    <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > colin c. wrote:
    >> <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    >> > i.e. if your hw address is
    >> >
    >> > XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ
    >> >
    >> > use
    >> >
    >> > 01XX.XXYY.YYZZ.ZZ
    >> >
    >> > Thats Zero One
    >> >
    >> > ip dhcp pool 3
    >> > host 172.19.16.201 255.255.255.0
    >> > client-identifier 0100.166f.0370.02
    >> >

    >> > My hw address is 0016.6f03.7002
    >> >

    >> whats about the 01 prefix part? what does it define?

    > I don't know. I needed to get this working one
    > day and hacked about until it did.
    >
    > Please post when you find out.
    >
    > If Aaron is listening, maybe the docs need a bit
    > of tidying here? This took me several hours to get
    > working a while back. That little magic 01 and the left
    > justified dots took quite a bit of figuring out. (I initially tried
    > right justified dots 01.xxxx.xxxx.xxxx since that seemed the
    > best thing to do). As can be seen above a fully
    > worked example is only a few of lines long. It was also not
    > clear to me from the docs how the static reservations
    > interacted with dynamic pools and I had to do experiments
    > to find out.
    >
    > End of rant:)

    Thank you for saving us from hours of reserch!! I hope this post will be
    precius to others.
    colin c., Aug 17, 2006
  9. colin c. wrote:
    >> XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ
    >>
    >> use
    >>
    >> 01XX.XXYY.YYZZ.ZZ
    >>

    > whats about the 01 prefix part? what does it define?

    I recently run into this problem, and my understanding is that the 01
    prefix defines that the rest of the client identifier (i.e. the MAC
    address) is from an Ethernet connection.

    However, an interesting fact that came up, but isn't covered very well,
    is that 'hardware-address' and 'client-identifier' are for BOOTP and
    DHCP receptively. DHCP will ignore the former, requiring that you use
    the latter.

    --
    Jonathan Wright
    http://djnauk.co.uk

    cat /dev/random (you never know, you may see something you like!)

    2.6.17-gentoo-r3-djnauk-b1 AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2100+
    up 18 days, 7:27, 1 user, load average: 1.48, 1.43, 1.17
    Jonathan Wright, Aug 18, 2006
  10. On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 00:24:01 +0100, Jonathan Wright wrote:

    > colin c. wrote:
    >>> XXXX.YYYY.ZZZZ
    >>>
    >>> use
    >>>
    >>> 01XX.XXYY.YYZZ.ZZ
    >>>

    >> whats about the 01 prefix part? what does it define?

    > I recently run into this problem, and my understanding is that the 01
    > prefix defines that the rest of the client identifier (i.e. the MAC
    > address) is from an Ethernet connection.
    >
    > However, an interesting fact that came up, but isn't covered very well,
    > is that 'hardware-address' and 'client-identifier' are for BOOTP and
    > DHCP receptively. DHCP will ignore the former, requiring that you use
    > the latter.

    Not quite. From RFC2131:

    A DHCP server needs to use some unique identifier to associate a
    client with its lease. The client MAY choose to explicitly provide
    the identifier through the 'client identifier' option. If the client
    supplies a 'client identifier', the client MUST use the same 'client
    identifier' in all subsequent messages, and the server MUST use that
    identifier to identify the client. If the client does not provide a
    'client identifier' option, the server MUST use the contents of the
    'chaddr' field to identify the client.

    --
    Rgds,
    Martin