manual configuration of home network.

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Jack \(MVP\), Oct 14, 2005.

  1. Jack \(MVP\)

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi

    Assuming that you are using Windows XP.

    If you do not have a Network Card you need to install one (Get a card and follow the
    instructions that comes with it).

    Once a card is installed (or already been there), check to make sure that the hardware
    installation is OK. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost

    Windows XP would install the core Network upon boot up if it detects a valid Network
    card. To manually configure this core setting look here, http://tinyurl.com/ywy73

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Oct 14, 2005

  2. Jack \(MVP\)

    payne Guest

    How do I do this? I don't want to use the configuration wizard, thanks.

    payne, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Jack \(MVP\)

    Lawrence Guest

    Jack (MVP) wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Assuming that you are using Windows XP.
    >
    > If you do not have a Network Card you need to install one (Get a card and follow the
    > instructions that comes with it).
    >
    > Once a card is installed (or already been there), check to make sure that the hardware
    > installation is OK. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
    >
    > Windows XP would install the core Network upon boot up if it detects a valid Network
    > card. To manually configure this core setting look here, http://tinyurl.com/ywy73
    >
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >

    > "payne" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>How do I do this? I don't want to use the configuration wizard, thanks.

    Hi and thanks for your answer. I suppose I should have given a little
    more information but I was trying to keep it short. I have three
    computers all running xp with sp2, I did have a network setup but for
    some reason it got fouled up. When I tried to use the wizard to setup
    again I got this error: cannot complete the network setup wizard on this
    computer. You can configure your network manually or you can run the
    wizard again with different settings. Hence my question about manual
    configuration. I went to the website you gave me and my settings are
    almost identical, I have no idea what "different settings" the wizard is
    referring to. When I go to "my network places" I can see two computers
    but I can't access any because I get the mssage that I don't have
    permission. Windows firewall is turned off and zone alarm is set to
    receive the IP addresses. Hope you can help.

    Lawrence, Oct 14, 2005
  4. Jack \(MVP\)

    Jack \(MVP\) Guest

    Hi
    If the settings are OK and you see the computers but can not share may be this can Help.
    http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP\), Oct 15, 2005
  5. Jack \(MVP\)

    payne Guest

    Jack (MVP) wrote:
    > Hi
    > If the settings are OK and you see the computers but can not share may be this can Help.
    > http://www.ezlan.net/sharing.html
    > Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >
    > "Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Jack (MVP) wrote:
    >>
    >>>Hi
    >>>
    >>>Assuming that you are using Windows XP.
    >>>
    >>>If you do not have a Network Card you need to install one (Get a card and follow the
    >>>instructions that comes with it).
    >>>
    >>>Once a card is installed (or already been there), check to make sure that the

    > hardware
    >
    >>>installation is OK. http://www.ezlan.net/faq#ghost
    >>>
    >>>Windows XP would install the core Network upon boot up if it detects a valid Network
    >>>card. To manually configure this core setting look here, http://tinyurl.com/ywy73
    >>>
    >>>Jack (MVP-Networking).
    >>>

    >>>"payne" <> wrote in message

    >>Hi and thanks for your answer. I suppose I should have given a little
    >>more information but I was trying to keep it short. I have three
    >>computers all running xp with sp2, I did have a network setup but for
    >>some reason it got fouled up. When I tried to use the wizard to setup
    >>again I got this error: cannot complete the network setup wizard on this
    >>computer. You can configure your network manually or you can run the
    >>wizard again with different settings. Hence my question about manual
    >>configuration. I went to the website you gave me and my settings are
    >>almost identical, I have no idea what "different settings" the wizard is
    >>referring to. When I go to "my network places" I can see two computers
    >>but I can't access any because I get the mssage that I don't have
    >>permission. Windows firewall is turned off and zone alarm is set to
    >>receive the IP addresses. Hope you can help.

    Thanks for all the info. I have printed it all out and it will probably
    take me a while to do this as I am not a guru but I think this is what I
    need.

    payne, Oct 15, 2005
  6. Jack \(MVP\)

    Michael T Guest

    "Lawrence" <> wrote in message
    > When I go to "my network places" I can see two computers but I can't
    > access any because I get the mssage that I don't have permission. Windows
    > firewall is turned off and zone alarm is set to receive the IP addresses.
    > Hope you can help.

    I had a similar error and the fix was in Norton Internet Security - running
    on my notebook (laptop). I had to go to the Personal Firewall section of NIS
    and use the WIZARD.

    Michael

    Michael T, Oct 15, 2005