    actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
    I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
    Thanks!
    Becca, Jun 6, 2007

  2. Becca

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    Becca <> wrote:

    > Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists... :)
    > Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
    > manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
    > contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
    > software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
    > tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
    > setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
    > actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
    > I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
    > Thanks!

    You could probably set up a Photoshop workflow to do what you want. Post
    your question on a Photoshop forum to see what they say.
    Shawn Hirn, Jun 6, 2007

  3. Becca

    acl Guest

    On Jun 6, 1:12 pm, Becca <> wrote:
    > Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists... :)
    > Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
    > manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
    > contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
    > software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
    > tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
    > setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
    > actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
    > I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
    > Thanks!

    DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
    depends on the camera).
    acl, Jun 6, 2007
  4. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 6, 12:34 pm, Shawn Hirn <> wrote:
    > You could probably set up a Photoshop workflow to do what you want. Post
    > your question on a Photoshop forum to see what they say.

    No I can't, really.. If I KNEW exactly what I technically wanted to do
    I could, but I want the 'magic' automatic effects of an image
    processing program (not necessarily PS, although I use that too).. I
    just want to be able to control the amount of magic, as I tried to
    explain in my original post.

    Thanks for the suggestion anyway! :)
    Becca, Jun 6, 2007
  5. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 6, 12:44 pm, acl <> wrote:

    > DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
    > depends on the camera).

    DXO seems exciting, but expensive... True to my nature, I was hoping
    to get something for a smile and a song. :) And I toy with images
    from lots of different sources (usually in JPG format to begin with),
    so I'm not sure if DXO's manufacturer-adapted processing would help me
    any. I was hoping for something simpler... but thanks so much for
    tipping me off about it!
    Becca, Jun 6, 2007
  6. Becca

    gowanoh Guest

    Sorry to be a purist but what you want does not exist without understanding
    how to use basic features of a program like Photoshop/Elements.
    If you are using jpegs of who knows what quality and are satisfied with the
    auto fix features of whatever imaging programs you use, and you understand
    the fade control in PS or Elements then simply learning to use simple
    layers will probably do what you want.
    Using Elements simply create a duplicate layer, label it with whatever fix
    you are applying and apply different fixes to different layers. For example
    the color fix on one layer, the contrast fix on another, etc.
    You can flatten the final image and resave in whatever format you like or
    save as a psd with the non-destructive layers intact.
    gowanoh, Jun 6, 2007
  7. ? "Becca" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > On Jun 6, 12:44 pm, acl <> wrote:
    > >
    > > DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
    > > depends on the camera).

    > DXO seems exciting, but expensive... True to my nature, I was hoping
    > to get something for a smile and a song. :) And I toy with images
    > from lots of different sources (usually in JPG format to begin with),
    > so I'm not sure if DXO's manufacturer-adapted processing would help me
    > any. I was hoping for something simpler... but thanks so much for
    > tipping me off about it!

    I have Ulead Photo explorer 8.0 that came with my nytech camera from Lidl
    (www.nytech.de) I don't know if you can get it separately and how.It's quite
    good for a snapshot P&S guy like me...I also have Ulead Video studio 8.0 for
    my camcorder videos which is also satisfactory (came with the firewire
    card)...

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Jun 6, 2007
  8. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:46 pm, "gowanoh" <> wrote:
    > Sorry to be a purist but what you want does not exist without understanding
    > how to use basic features of a program like Photoshop/Elements.

    Oh I think I do... :)

    > If you are using jpegs of who knows what quality and are satisfied with the
    > auto fix features of whatever imaging programs you use, ...

    No, the point is I'm not. Quite. But what they do is often quite
    complex to emulate manually, for me anyway.. and I would simply like
    the opportunity of them doing less or _more_ of what they do.

    >and you understand
    > the fade control in PS or Elements then simply learning to use simple
    > layers will probably do what you want.
    > Using Elements simply create a duplicate layer, label it with whatever fix
    > you are applying and apply different fixes to different layers. For example
    > the color fix on one layer, the contrast fix on another, etc.
    > You can flatten the final image and resave in whatever format you like or
    > save as a psd with the non-destructive layers intact.

    Well, that would allow me to fade effects in tandem, on different
    layers, but again, effect fading is only at most half of what I'm
    looking for. (Technically, applying a certain 'auto fix' effect to a
    lesser degree is not necessarily the same as fading it, you know.) But
    thanks for the suggestion anyway. I am very familiar with it. :)
    Becca, Jun 6, 2007
  9. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 6, 7:47 pm, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:
    > ? "Becca" <> ?????? ??? ??????news:...> On Jun 6, 12:44 pm, acl <> wrote:
    >
    > > > DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
    > > > depends on the camera).

    > > DXO seems exciting, but expensive... True to my nature, I was hoping
    > > to get something for a smile and a song. :) And I toy with images
    > > from lots of different sources (usually in JPG format to begin with),
    > > so I'm not sure if DXO's manufacturer-adapted processing would help me
    > > any. I was hoping for something simpler... but thanks so much for
    > > tipping me off about it!

    > I have Ulead Photo explorer 8.0 that came with my nytech camera from Lidl
    > (www.nytech.de) I don't know if you can get it separately and how.It's quite
    > good for a snapshot P&S guy like me...I also have Ulead Video studio 8.0 for
    > my camcorder videos which is also satisfactory (came with the firewire
    > card)...
    >
    > --
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    > major in electrical engineering
    > mechanized infantry reservist
    > dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr

    Mmm.. are you saying that it has anything of the possibilities I am
    looking for? Or are you simply giving me a tip of an image processing
    program you like? :) That's nice too... but if Ulead has what I'm
    looking for I'd love to hear more about it.
    Becca, Jun 6, 2007
  10. Becca

    ben brugman Guest

    Take a look at Picasa, this has a lot of 'tweaks' were you can adjust the
    amount to you own likings. This is aimed at users not having the knowledge
    and not wanting to have that knowledge needed for photoshop. So there is a
    lot of adjustment, and you do not need to know what the program actually
    does, you also do not have the control as you would have using photoshop
    with knowledge.

    ben

    ben brugman, Jun 6, 2007
  11. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 6, 8:39 pm, "ben brugman" <> wrote:
    > Take a look at Picasa, this has a lot of 'tweaks' were you can adjust the
    > amount to you own likings. This is aimed at users not having the knowledge
    > and not wanting to have that knowledge needed for photoshop. So there is a
    > lot of adjustment, and you do not need to know what the program actually
    > does, you also do not have the control as you would have using photoshop
    > with knowledge.
    >
    > ben

    Haven't used it in a while, so I tried it again now... wow... it's...
    minimalistic. :) (The actual image editing features that is, all the
    tons of functions for indexing and blogging and so on are
    overwhelming...)
    Interesting tip, thanks so much... and I really AM grateful to
    everyone giving suggestions here, hope I don't come off as too
    negative... but as far as I understand, Picasa can't even fade its
    effects (save for some tweaking like fill light and color
    temperature). I found it simple and sweet, but what I'm after is MORE
    control over things like contrast setting and color correction... not
    less. I'll play around with Picasa some more though to see what I
    missed at first glance. :)
    Becca, Jun 6, 2007
  12. Becca

    acl Guest

    On Jun 6, 3:05 pm, Becca <> wrote:
    > On Jun 6, 12:44 pm, acl <> wrote:
    >

    > > DXO probably does what you want. Could be expensive, though (it
    > > depends on the camera).

    > DXO seems exciting, but expensive... True to my nature, I was hoping
    > to get something for a smile and a song. :) And I toy with images
    > from lots of different sources (usually in JPG format to begin with),
    > so I'm not sure if DXO's manufacturer-adapted processing would help me
    > any. I was hoping for something simpler... but thanks so much for
    > tipping me off about it!

    Another option may be Helicon Filter. Lots of control, but maybe it's
    too "low-level" (ie close to photoshop). .
    acl, Jun 6, 2007
  13. Becca

    Wilfred Guest

    Becca wrote:
    > Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists... :)
    > Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
    > manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
    > contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
    > software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
    > tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
    > setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
    > actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
    > I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
    > Thanks!

    Maybe this tutorial by Bruce Fraser is interesting for you:
    "Out of Gamut: Don't Underestimate Photoshop's Auto Color
    Imaging professionals tend to veer away from Photoshop's overly
    simplistic automatic color-correction tools. But version 7's Auto Color
    mode is a horse of a different color, if you know how to use it. Color
    guru Bruce Fraser shows you how. "
    http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/17164-1.html

    I found this approach to be quite effective in many cases.

    Also, if you just want to decrease the effect in Photoshop, try
    "Edit>Fade Auto[color/levels/...]" immediately after performing an auto
    correction adjustment.

    --

    Wilfred van der Vegte.
    e-mail: first five letters of my first name at gmx dot net
    Wilfred, Jun 7, 2007
  14. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 6, 10:46 pm, acl <> wrote:

    > Another option may be Helicon Filter. Lots of control, but maybe it's
    > too "low-level" (ie close to photoshop). .

    First impressions aren't always reliable... but am I ALL off in
    thinking that Helicon Filter is a variation of PS with MUCH friendlier
    and less illogical interface, and about half of the PS functionality?
    And that if anything, in order to keep it maintainable, they have
    preferred manual, single-purpose tools... i.e. the opposite of what
    I'm really looking for?

    Thanks for the tip anyway, Helicon Filter seems a great alternative
    for those intimidated by PS. But I'm not scared, just
    lazy... :) ...and have to be able to work really fast sometimes.
    Becca, Jun 7, 2007
  15. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 7, 12:54 pm, Wilfred <> wrote:
    > Becca wrote:
    > > Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists... :)
    > > Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
    > > manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
    > > contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
    > > software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
    > > tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
    > > setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
    > > actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
    > > I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
    > > Thanks!

    > Maybe this tutorial by Bruce Fraser is interesting for you:
    > "Out of Gamut: Don't Underestimate Photoshop's Auto Color
    > Imaging professionals tend to veer away from Photoshop's overly
    > simplistic automatic color-correction tools. But version 7's Auto Color
    > mode is a horse of a different color, if you know how to use it. Color
    > guru Bruce Fraser shows you how. "http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/17164-1.html
    >
    > I found this approach to be quite effective in many cases.
    >
    > Also, if you just want to decrease the effect in Photoshop, try
    > "Edit>Fade Auto[color/levels/...]" immediately after performing an auto
    > correction adjustment.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Wilfred van der Vegte.
    > e-mail: first five letters of my first name at gmx dot net

    That was a really good reading suggestion, thanks a million! And it
    pinpoints the problem: What he as evangelist describes as 'quick and
    easy' is in his own (slightly glossed-over) version a SEVEN step
    process, including entering two numerical values and picking a color
    (or two or three, making it even more cumbersome) for EACH 'tweak
    level' you want to try. It helped me a lot in confirming that the
    whole process really IS as awkward as it seems in PS... but I'm still
    looking for that easy route... :)
    Becca, Jun 7, 2007
  16. Becca

    Guest

    On Jun 6, 11:12 am, Becca <> wrote:
    > Looking for an easy route here, please forgive me all purists... :)
    > Most image processing software from the simplest digicam
    > manufacturer's CD contents to PhotoShop offers 'auto fixes' of
    > contrast, color etc, which I often find ALMOST right. Is there any
    > software which can fix my pics automagically, but then allow me to
    > tweak the amount of applied effect without having to start manually
    > setting all curves, balances etc, or even bother about what the effect
    > actually did? I AM aware of the 'fade effect' option often found, but
    > I want to be able to increase the effect as well as decrease it.
    > Thanks!

    Why bother installing any software at all? Try online image processing
    at http://picomat.com
    Picomat has auto wizards to undrab, unmist, undiscolor, unblur, unspot
    and unblend your images, all with slider controls to adjust effect
    intensity up as well as down. (Plus naturally manual light/contrast/
    saturation and color balance controls, resizing and cropping controls
    etc) It is also stateless, giving you the same 'tandem effect control'
    functionality as suggested in the 'create multiple layers' post. And
    free. (Actually credits-based, but you get a wad of credits to begin
    with, and it's not hard to get as many more credits as you want.)
    , Jun 7, 2007
  17. Becca

    Becca Guest

    On Jun 7, 4:30 pm, wrote:
    > Why bother installing any software at all? Try online image processing
    > athttp://picomat.com
    > Picomat has auto wizards to undrab, unmist, undiscolor, unblur, unspot
    > and unblend your images, all with slider controls to adjust effect
    > intensity up as well as down. (Plus naturally manual light/contrast/
    > saturation and color balance controls, resizing and cropping controls
    > etc) It is also stateless, giving you the same 'tandem effect control'
    > functionality as suggested in the 'create multiple layers' post. And
    > free. (Actually credits-based, but you get a wad of credits to begin
    > with, and it's not hard to get as many more credits as you want.)

    Jessie... I don't use this word often, but Picomat seems PERFECT for
    my lazy purposes! You've saved... far more than my day... I owe you
    BIG time. Learning the mechanics of it took me about five minutes, and
    I'm just beginning to explore the possibilities of it. Can I contact
    you for questions & tips?
    Thanks again... and thanks everyone else, you gave me lots of nice
    suggestions!
    Becca, Jun 7, 2007
  18. Becca

    Becca Guest

    Becca, Jun 7, 2007
  19. Becca

    Becca Guest

    Becca, Jun 7, 2007
  20. Becca wrote:
    > On Jun 7, 4:30 pm, wrote:
    >> Why bother installing any software at all? Try online image processing
    >> athttp://picomat.com
    >> Picomat has auto wizards to undrab, unmist, undiscolor, unblur, unspot
    >> and unblend your images, all with slider controls to adjust effect
    >> intensity up as well as down. (Plus naturally manual light/contrast/
    >> saturation and color balance controls, resizing and cropping controls
    >> etc) It is also stateless, giving you the same 'tandem effect control'
    >> functionality as suggested in the 'create multiple layers' post. And
    >> free. (Actually credits-based, but you get a wad of credits to begin
    >> with, and it's not hard to get as many more credits as you want.)

    > Jessie... I don't use this word often, but Picomat seems PERFECT for
    > my lazy purposes! You've saved... far more than my day... I owe you
    > BIG time. Learning the mechanics of it took me about five minutes, and
    > I'm just beginning to explore the possibilities of it. Can I contact
    > you for questions & tips?
    > Thanks again... and thanks everyone else, you gave me lots of nice
    > suggestions!

    So, in less than two hours you have been given the perfect solution,
    downloaded it, tried it, and written back to say thanks? (Three times)

    I'd say that is record time, or .......

    --
    john mcwilliams
    John McWilliams, Jun 7, 2007