Manipulate audio from VCR in computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Dave, Aug 11, 2005.

  1. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Hi,

    I'm looking for a way to slow down the spoken audio from a VHS tape so I
    can transcribe it into text form (as opposed to stopping and starting
    the VCR every 10 seconds). Each tape has a maximum of 30 minutes of
    audio. I was mulling over the alternatives:

    (1) I can route the audio into my stereo amplifier and record it on
    cassette, but I don't have a two-speed cassette player.

    (2) I could record the audio on a digital voice recorder (which I'd have
    to buy) and slow it down to transcription speed.

    (3) I could probably record the audio onto my older laptop (win 98 SE,
    PII) hard drive and find a program which would slow down the playback
    speed. I don't know if this is feasible.

    (4) ???

    It's not like I'm cheap, but I don't have a lot of money to fund this
    endeavour.

    I'd appreciate any input you might have on this.

    Thanks,

    ds

    Dave, Aug 11, 2005

  2. Dave

    Shel-hed Guest

    Many burners come with Nero. The wave editor can slow down the file by half.
    Otherwise, a foot switch rigged to the vcr pause button. :)

    On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:21:16 -0600, Dave <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I'm looking for a way to slow down the spoken audio from a VHS tape so I
    >can transcribe it into text form (as opposed to stopping and starting
    >the VCR every 10 seconds). Each tape has a maximum of 30 minutes of
    >audio. I was mulling over the alternatives:

    <snip>

    Shel-hed, Aug 11, 2005

  3. Dave

    trout Guest

    Dave wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a way to slow down the spoken audio from a VHS tape
    > so I can transcribe it into text form (as opposed to stopping and
    > starting the VCR every 10 seconds). Each tape has a maximum of 30
    > minutes of audio. I was mulling over the alternatives:
    >
    > (1) I can route the audio into my stereo amplifier and record it on
    > cassette, but I don't have a two-speed cassette player.
    >
    > (2) I could record the audio on a digital voice recorder (which I'd
    > have to buy) and slow it down to transcription speed.
    >
    > (3) I could probably record the audio onto my older laptop (win 98 SE,
    > PII) hard drive and find a program which would slow down the playback
    > speed. I don't know if this is feasible.
    >
    > (4) ???
    >
    > It's not like I'm cheap, but I don't have a lot of money to fund this
    > endeavour.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any input you might have on this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ds

    I've been fiddling with stuff, since I read your post; and it seems
    you *could* do this with Audacity. Should be able to record from
    line-in, or auxiliary, and then slow down the tempo.
    Of course, this would depend on the quality of the original sound,
    as this effects the tone and timbre, also. It could be like listening to
    a groaning giant.
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    if you feel like having a look.
    --
    Freeware.

    trout, Aug 11, 2005
  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Shel-hed wrote:

    > Many burners come with Nero. The wave editor can slow down the file by half.
    > Otherwise, a foot switch rigged to the vcr pause button. :)
    >
    > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 19:21:16 -0600, Dave <> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I'm looking for a way to slow down the spoken audio from a VHS tape so I
    > >can transcribe it into text form (as opposed to stopping and starting
    > >the VCR every 10 seconds). Each tape has a maximum of 30 minutes of
    > >audio. I was mulling over the alternatives:

    > <snip>

    Yes, I have Nero, so that's a possiblity. I looked at wave editor
    settings in the manual, but the version on my computer seems different,
    as in has less features. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

    Thanks for your help,
    ds

    Dave, Aug 11, 2005
  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    trout wrote:

    > Dave wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I'm looking for a way to slow down the spoken audio from a VHS tape
    > > so I can transcribe it into text form (as opposed to stopping and
    > > starting the VCR every 10 seconds). Each tape has a maximum of 30
    > > minutes of audio. I was mulling over the alternatives:
    > >
    > > (1) I can route the audio into my stereo amplifier and record it on
    > > cassette, but I don't have a two-speed cassette player.
    > >
    > > (2) I could record the audio on a digital voice recorder (which I'd
    > > have to buy) and slow it down to transcription speed.
    > >
    > > (3) I could probably record the audio onto my older laptop (win 98 SE,
    > > PII) hard drive and find a program which would slow down the playback
    > > speed. I don't know if this is feasible.
    > >
    > > (4) ???
    > >
    > > It's not like I'm cheap, but I don't have a lot of money to fund this
    > > endeavour.
    > >
    > > I'd appreciate any input you might have on this.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > ds

    > I've been fiddling with stuff, since I read your post; and it seems
    > you *could* do this with Audacity. Should be able to record from
    > line-in, or auxiliary, and then slow down the tempo.
    > Of course, this would depend on the quality of the original sound,
    > as this effects the tone and timbre, also. It could be like listening to
    > a groaning giant.
    > http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    > if you feel like having a look.
    > --
    > Freeware.

    Now this looks interesting since my laptop doesn't have a CD burner.
    You're right -- it looks doable. And freeware to boot! I'll dig up
    some patch cords tomorrow and see how it goes. I'll post the results to
    this thread.

    Thanks for your help,
    ds

    Dave, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Dave

    SgtMinor Guest

    Dave wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm looking for a way to slow down the spoken audio from a VHS tape so I
    > can transcribe it into text form (as opposed to stopping and starting
    > the VCR every 10 seconds). Each tape has a maximum of 30 minutes of
    > audio. I was mulling over the alternatives:
    >
    > (1) I can route the audio into my stereo amplifier and record it on
    > cassette, but I don't have a two-speed cassette player.
    >
    > (2) I could record the audio on a digital voice recorder (which I'd have
    > to buy) and slow it down to transcription speed.
    >
    > (3) I could probably record the audio onto my older laptop (win 98 SE,
    > PII) hard drive and find a program which would slow down the playback
    > speed. I don't know if this is feasible.
    >
    > (4) ???
    >
    > It's not like I'm cheap, but I don't have a lot of money to fund this
    > endeavour.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any input you might have on this.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > ds

    Another bit of freeware that can slow down the playback of mp3 and wav
    files is "Best Practice" http://www.xs4all.nl/~mp2004/bp/

    It will allow playback at 50% speed without major change in pitch.

    SgtMinor, Aug 11, 2005