    until I find it.
    cheers
    brianM

    BrianM, Jan 30, 2007

  2. BrianM

    Shane Guest

    BrianM wrote:

    > Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva 2007.
    > Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden files
    > under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in /usr/lib,
    > hasn't installed itself into firefox about:plugins. Can't make a simlink
    > until I find it.
    > cheers
    > brianM

    As root:
    # updatedb
    # locate firefox/plugins

    HTH

    Shane, Jan 30, 2007

  3. BrianM

    brianM Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:01:48 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > BrianM wrote:
    >
    >> Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva 2007.
    >> Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden files
    >> under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in /usr/lib,
    >> hasn't installed itself into firefox about:plugins. Can't make a simlink
    >> until I find it.
    >> cheers
    >> brianM

    > As root:
    > # updatedb
    > # locate firefox/plugins
    >
    > HTH

    Hi Shane
    thanks
    updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
    missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
    libraries in /usr/lib64
    Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
    whether it's better than 2005 LE.
    cheers
    brianM

    brianM, Jan 30, 2007
  4. BrianM

    Shane Guest

    brianM wrote:

    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:01:48 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> BrianM wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva
    >>> 2007. Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden
    >>> files under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in
    >>> /usr/lib,
    >>> hasn't installed itself into firefox about:plugins. Can't make a
    >>> simlink until I find it.
    >>> cheers
    >>> brianM

    >> As root:
    >> # updatedb
    >> # locate firefox/plugins
    >>
    >> HTH

    > Hi Shane
    > thanks
    > updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
    > missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
    > libraries in /usr/lib64
    > Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
    > whether it's better than 2005 LE.
    > cheers
    > brianM

    Hi
    uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
    I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
    locator of files in Linux
    I recommend you download and install it if you havent already

    I had a look on rpmfind and found this
    http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mlocate

    The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
    database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
    a cron job updating it overnight)

    Shane, Jan 30, 2007
  5. BrianM

    brianM Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:27:59 +1300, Shane wrote:

    > brianM wrote:

    >>> As root:
    >>> # updatedb
    >>> # locate firefox/plugins
    >>>
    >>> HTH

    >> Hi Shane
    >> thanks
    >> updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
    >> missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
    >> libraries in /usr/lib64
    >> Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
    >> whether it's better than 2005 LE.
    >> cheers
    >> brianM

    > Hi
    > uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
    > I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
    > locator of files in Linux
    > I recommend you download and install it if you havent already
    >
    > I had a look on rpmfind and found this
    > http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mlocate
    >
    > The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
    > database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
    > a cron job updating it overnight)

    thanks Shane - yes I've used locate lots on other linux's but it wasn't
    packaged in the default group. I'll have a look at rpmfind if it isn't on
    my install disks.
    cheers
    brianM

    brianM, Jan 30, 2007
  6. BrianM

    Enkidu Guest

    brianM wrote:
    > On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:27:59 +1300, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> brianM wrote:

    >>> Hi Shane
    >>> thanks
    >>> updatedb as su not recognised in this version.(have I
    >>> missed something?) however, I did eventually stumble on the firefox
    >>> libraries in /usr/lib64
    >>> Although Mda 2007 has later software - I'm beginning to have doubts
    >>> whether it's better than 2005 LE.
    >>> cheers
    >>> brianM

    >> Hi
    >> uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
    >> I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
    >> locator of files in Linux
    >> I recommend you download and install it if you havent already
    >>
    >> I had a look on rpmfind and found this
    >> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mlocate
    >>
    >> The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
    >> database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
    >> a cron job updating it overnight)

    > thanks Shane - yes I've used locate lots on other linux's but it wasn't
    > packaged in the default group. I'll have a look at rpmfind if it isn't on
    > my install disks.
    > cheers

    Hmm, you should download it from the repository. I don't know Mandriva
    so I can't tell you the way to access it. You should update your system
    with patches etc every so often from the repository anyway. I'd be
    surprised if slocate or mlocate is not in the repository.

    Um, are you sure you don't have updatedb? Does locate work? Because that
    comes from the same package as updatedb.

    Run the following from the command line:

    rpm -qa | grep locate

    and see if it finds the package. If the package is there run

    rpm -qil <package> | less

    to find out where updatedb is located. Even then you may have to run it
    as root.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Jan 30, 2007
  7. BrianM

    brianM Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 21:16:34 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    > brianM wrote:

    >>> Hi
    >>> uodatedb is part of the slocate package (sometimes packaged as mlocate)
    >>> I had assumed it came default in your distro as it is the (IMO) easiest
    >>> locator of files in Linux
    >>> I recommend you download and install it if you havent already
    >>>
    >>> I had a look on rpmfind and found this
    >>> http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=mlocate
    >>>
    >>> The only 'hassle' with the application is that it locates files in a
    >>> database, which may be outdated, hence the need to update it first (or run
    >>> a cron job updating it overnight)

    >> thanks Shane - yes I've used locate lots on other linux's but it wasn't
    >> packaged in the default group. I'll have a look at rpmfind if it isn't on
    >> my install disks.
    >> cheers
    >>

    > Hmm, you should download it from the repository. I don't know Mandriva
    > so I can't tell you the way to access it. You should update your system
    > with patches etc every so often from the repository anyway. I'd be
    > surprised if slocate or mlocate is not in the repository.
    >
    > Um, are you sure you don't have updatedb? Does locate work? Because that
    > comes from the same package as updatedb.
    >
    > Run the following from the command line:
    >
    > rpm -qa | grep locate
    >
    > and see if it finds the package. If the package is there run
    >
    > rpm -qil <package> | less
    >
    > to find out where updatedb is located. Even then you may have to run it
    > as root.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    No it's not anywhere on the system Cliff. You can only run updatedb as
    root.
    cheers
    brianM

    brianM, Jan 30, 2007
  8. BrianM

    BrianM Guest

    BrianM wrote:

    > Just downloaded and installed JRE plugin for Firefox 1.5 in Mandriva 2007.
    > Can't find where the Firefox plugins directory is. Not in hidden files
    > under /home/user/.mozilla and there is no mozilla or firefox in /usr/lib,
    > hasn't installed itself into firefox about:plugins. Can't make a simlink
    > until I find it.
    > cheers
    > brianM

    Just to tidy this thread up - I did a workaround as per another
    post. Also Urpmi'd slocate and installed that also
    cheers
    brianM

    BrianM, Feb 5, 2007