Mandriva and Me

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Jan 8, 2006.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    I have a dark past.

    Mandrake / Mandriva Linux and I have never seen eye to eye.

    We have, periodically through the years, agreed to disagree on the how's,
    why's and wherefore's on several PCs.

    I have known people who have used Mandrake/Mandriva and loved it. They would
    consider no other.

    I have always found it wanting and have for several years now avoided it.

    Until today. I downloaded the the 2006.0 FREE ISOs and tried to install.

    The beautiful blue penguin splash logo came up and I presed enter to
    install.

    The screen went black. It stayed black. Having just had the same problem
    with Lunar Linux the night before (while FreeBSD and Ubuntu worked
    perfectly) I decided to change the video card.

    OK....New card.....run the install.....and it runs right through. There were
    a few burps and creaks as a few packages failed to install -
    "rosegarden-???" and one or two others.

    The install completed, the network was up (it claimed)....and I was told to
    re-boot.

    Started normally.....and then a mouse pointer appeared over a horizontal
    stripe of utterly scrabbled video egg.

    Repeatable endlessly.

    Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.

    We are not meant to be together, it seems.
     
    steve, Jan 8, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. steve

    Peter Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Mandrake / Mandriva Linux and I have never seen eye to eye.

    I've used Mandrake / Mandriva for several years. A few glitches along the
    way, but I don't think these were distro specific.

    > OK....New card.....run the install.....and it runs right through. There
    > were a few burps and creaks as a few packages failed to install -
    > "rosegarden-???" and one or two others.


    This shouldn't happen, and could be some defect with the CDs or reader. A
    couple of times, I have had similar symptoms when using old CD readers, and
    guess that these struggle to read CDs burnt with newer faster drives.
    Burning at slower speeds seems to help. Did you check the CDs after
    burning?

    > The install completed, the network was up (it claimed)....and I was told
    > to re-boot.


    With Mandriva, there is a screen near the end of the install process, with
    buttons down the right side, where you can configure all sorts of things
    (NIC, X, mouse, location, printer, etc). It is really worthwhile checking
    each of these.

    > Started normally.....and then a mouse pointer appeared over a horizontal
    > stripe of utterly scrabbled video egg.


    Sounds like a problem with the graphics driver or X configuration.

    > Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.


    I've been meaning to try Ubuntu, except I like several of the apps in KDE
    and AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have KDE.


    Peter
     
    Peter, Jan 8, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. >
    >>Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.

    >
    >
    > I've been meaning to try Ubuntu, except I like several of the apps in KDE
    > and AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have KDE.
    >
    >
    > Peter
    >

    Ubuntu does have KDE, just not on the install disk. It is downloadable
    from a Ubuntu mirror. ;)
     
    Maximum Damage, Jan 8, 2006
    #3
  4. steve

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 08:25:37 +1300, Maximum Damage wrote:

    >
    >>>Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.

    >>
    >>
    >> I've been meaning to try Ubuntu, except I like several of the apps in
    >> KDE and AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have KDE.
    >>
    >>
    >> Peter
    >>

    > Ubuntu does have KDE, just not on the install disk. It is downloadable
    > from a Ubuntu mirror. ;)


    Im using Kubuntu (ubuntu with kde)


    --
    "How do you pronounce SunOS?" "Just like you hear it, with a big SOS"
    -- dedicated to Roland Kaltefleiter
     
    Shane, Jan 8, 2006
    #4
  5. steve

    Chris Hope Guest

    Maximum Damage wrote:

    >>>Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.

    >>
    >> I've been meaning to try Ubuntu, except I like several of the apps in
    >> KDE and AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have KDE.
    >>

    > Ubuntu does have KDE, just not on the install disk. It is
    > downloadable from a Ubuntu mirror. ;)


    Or you can get Kubuntu instead which comes with KDE "out of the box"

    --
    Chris Hope | www.electrictoolbox.com | www.linuxcdmall.com
     
    Chris Hope, Jan 8, 2006
    #5
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > I've been meaning to try Ubuntu, except I like several of the apps in KDE
    > and AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have KDE.
    >
    > Peter


    Thanks for the reply.

    I know Mandriva will work really well for a lot of people. I was more or
    less reflecting on the "Murphy's law" aspect of my experience with
    Mandriva.

    It may well be that some or all the possibilities for error you suggest have
    got in the way of a perfect install........and that would be my experience
    of almost every Mandrake/Mandriva install I've ever done.

    :)

    I mainly use Xandros.....which has been more or less flawless on my several
    "diversely hardwared" homebuilt computers.....

    Speaking broadly, it looks to me like the debian-based distros (Xandros,
    Ubuntu, Debian) always install more or less perfectly, while the Red
    Hat-based distros (Fedora Core, Mandriva) almost always have some sort of
    'problem'.

    Correlation isn't causation....but one does wonder.
     
    steve, Jan 8, 2006
    #6
  7. steve

    shannon Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 07:06:31 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Mandrake / Mandriva Linux and I have never seen eye to eye.

    > I've used Mandrake / Mandriva for several years. A few glitches along the
    > way, but I don't think these were distro specific.
    >
    >> OK....New card.....run the install.....and it runs right through. There
    >> were a few burps and creaks as a few packages failed to install -
    >> "rosegarden-???" and one or two others.

    >
    > This shouldn't happen, and could be some defect with the CDs or reader. A
    > couple of times, I have had similar symptoms when using old CD readers, and
    > guess that these struggle to read CDs burnt with newer faster drives.
    > Burning at slower speeds seems to help. Did you check the CDs after
    > burning?
    >
    >> The install completed, the network was up (it claimed)....and I was told
    >> to re-boot.

    >
    > With Mandriva, there is a screen near the end of the install process, with
    > buttons down the right side, where you can configure all sorts of things
    > (NIC, X, mouse, location, printer, etc). It is really worthwhile checking
    > each of these.
    >
    >> Started normally.....and then a mouse pointer appeared over a horizontal
    >> stripe of utterly scrabbled video egg.

    >
    > Sounds like a problem with the graphics driver or X configuration.
    >
    >> Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.

    >
    > I've been meaning to try Ubuntu, except I like several of the apps in KDE
    > and AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have KDE.
    >
    >
    > Peter


    Ubuntu is the gnome default install disk and Kubuntu is the kde default
    install disk, both assembled from the ubuntu repositaries. ubuntu
    doesn't have any kde and kubuntu doesn't have any gnome, but you can mix
    and match from either install.
    I installed ubuntu breezy yesterday, it was smooth as silk. They have an
    excellent wiki page on how to get mp3 realaudio flash java etc running
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RestrictedFormats
    I'm impressed that it set up ALSA sound perfectly for the onboard via 8235
    chipset.
    It takes debian to another level.
     
    shannon, Jan 8, 2006
    #7
  8. steve

    Allistar Guest

    steve wrote:

    > I have a dark past.
    >
    > Mandrake / Mandriva Linux and I have never seen eye to eye.
    >
    > We have, periodically through the years, agreed to disagree on the how's,
    > why's and wherefore's on several PCs.
    >
    > I have known people who have used Mandrake/Mandriva and loved it. They
    > would consider no other.
    >
    > I have always found it wanting and have for several years now avoided it.
    >
    > Until today. I downloaded the the 2006.0 FREE ISOs and tried to install.
    >
    > The beautiful blue penguin splash logo came up and I presed enter to
    > install.
    >
    > The screen went black. It stayed black. Having just had the same problem
    > with Lunar Linux the night before (while FreeBSD and Ubuntu worked
    > perfectly) I decided to change the video card.
    >
    > OK....New card.....run the install.....and it runs right through. There
    > were a few burps and creaks as a few packages failed to install -
    > "rosegarden-???" and one or two others.


    Rosegarden is (from memory) a music compositing application. Odd that would
    be in a standard install unless you specifically selected it. Either way,
    could be a problem with the release media. Did you check the MD5 of the
    iso?

    > The install completed, the network was up (it claimed)....and I was told
    > to re-boot.
    >
    > Started normally.....and then a mouse pointer appeared over a horizontal
    > stripe of utterly scrabbled video egg.
    >
    > Repeatable endlessly.
    >
    > Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.
    >
    > We are not meant to be together, it seems.


    I used Mandrake (before the name change) for a couple of years. It was the
    system I "cut my teeth" on as far as Linux/KDE goes. The major reason I
    changed to Gentoo was that upgrading to the next major version of Mandrake
    was essentially a reinstall each time. Stuff that. Upgrading Gentoo
    couldn't be easier, and gives me MUCH more control.

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Jan 8, 2006
    #8
  9. "steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a dark past.
    >
    > Mandrake / Mandriva Linux and I have never seen eye to eye.
    >
    > We have, periodically through the years, agreed to disagree on the how's,
    > why's and wherefore's on several PCs.
    >
    > I have known people who have used Mandrake/Mandriva and loved it. They
    > would
    > consider no other.
    >
    > I have always found it wanting and have for several years now avoided it.
    >
    > Until today. I downloaded the the 2006.0 FREE ISOs and tried to install.
    >
    > The beautiful blue penguin splash logo came up and I presed enter to
    > install.
    >
    > The screen went black. It stayed black. Having just had the same problem
    > with Lunar Linux the night before (while FreeBSD and Ubuntu worked
    > perfectly) I decided to change the video card.
    >
    > OK....New card.....run the install.....and it runs right through. There
    > were
    > a few burps and creaks as a few packages failed to install -
    > "rosegarden-???" and one or two others.
    >
    > The install completed, the network was up (it claimed)....and I was told
    > to
    > re-boot.
    >
    > Started normally.....and then a mouse pointer appeared over a horizontal
    > stripe of utterly scrabbled video egg.
    >
    > Repeatable endlessly.
    >
    > Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.
    >
    > We are not meant to be together, it seems.
    >
    >


    You should use microsoft windows xp - it is easier to use.
     
    news.xtra.co.nz, Jan 8, 2006
    #9
  10. steve

    shannon Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    >
    >
    > You should use microsoft windows xp - it is easier to use.
    >
    >


    I've got both, and Windows XP isn't any easier, pretty much the same
    ease of use, but some things are quite a bit harder.
    Every time I want to upgrade an application, I have to upgrade it
    individually. Each time I want to install an application I have to
    install it individually, and quite often I have to shutdown and reboot
    just to upgrade an application.

    With Ubuntu I just select an application and click.
    To upgrade all the applications from the nz based mirror archive I just
    click.

    Ubuntu has an easier installer too, it has an easier partitioning tool,
    no typing in long authentication key numbers, and by default the basic
    applications are installed.

    I'm happy to use Windows, but I like to find things out for myself too,
    and each time I get told different things about linux, I check for myself.

    Its easier that way ;-)
     
    shannon, Jan 8, 2006
    #10
  11. steve

    steve Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > You should use microsoft windows xp - it is easier to use.


    WinXP has its install issues, too....like blue-screening if you install it
    with an Epson printer connected and powered up. WinXP takes AGES to install
    compared to Linux...and then you have to add the devices drivers for a fair
    amount of hardware that Linux supports out of the box these days.

    The problem with Windows, though, is you really only have one choice of
    vendor.

    With Linux, you have dozens - even hundreds - of companies, groups and
    individuals all beavering away trying to make a better, easier-to-use OS.

    I'll stick with more choice, thanks....and report the experiences here of
    each of the many choices I tial from the huge array on offer.
     
    steve, Jan 9, 2006
    #11
  12. steve

    smf Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >> Mandrake / Mandriva Linux and I have never seen eye to eye.

    > I've used Mandrake / Mandriva for several years. A few glitches along the
    > way, but I don't think these were distro specific.
    >
    >> OK....New card.....run the install.....and it runs right through. There
    >> were a few burps and creaks as a few packages failed to install -
    >> "rosegarden-???" and one or two others.

    >
    > This shouldn't happen, and could be some defect with the CDs or reader. A
    > couple of times, I have had similar symptoms when using old CD readers, and
    > guess that these struggle to read CDs burnt with newer faster drives.
    > Burning at slower speeds seems to help. Did you check the CDs after
    > burning?
    >
    >> The install completed, the network was up (it claimed)....and I was told
    >> to re-boot.

    >
    > With Mandriva, there is a screen near the end of the install process, with
    > buttons down the right side, where you can configure all sorts of things
    > (NIC, X, mouse, location, printer, etc). It is really worthwhile checking
    > each of these.
    >
    >> Started normally.....and then a mouse pointer appeared over a horizontal
    >> stripe of utterly scrabbled video egg.

    >
    > Sounds like a problem with the graphics driver or X configuration.
    >
    >> Back to Ubuntu. C ya Mandriva....maybe in a few more years.

    >
    > I've been meaning to try Ubuntu, except I like several of the apps in KDE
    > and AFAIK Ubuntu doesn't have KDE.
    >
    >
    > Peter
    >


    just download kubuntu - it is ubuntu with the kde environment. Its
    alright. Installed it the other night on my thinkpad - really easy -
    recognised everything. I went back to ubuntu though as the kde enviro
    makes me feel like I am in noddy land.... lol ... although I guess as a
    newbie to linux, I kinda am..?
     
    smf, Jan 9, 2006
    #12
  13. steve

    Gordon Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:59:18 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > I used Mandrake (before the name change) for a couple of years. It was the
    > system I "cut my teeth" on as far as Linux/KDE goes. The major reason I
    > changed to Gentoo was that upgrading to the next major version of Mandrake
    > was essentially a reinstall each time. Stuff that. Upgrading Gentoo
    > couldn't be easier, and gives me MUCH more control.


    True, but the cavet is that one has to have the ability/training to be
    able to enjoy the control.
     
    Gordon, Jan 9, 2006
    #13
  14. steve

    Allistar Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:59:18 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> I used Mandrake (before the name change) for a couple of years. It was
    >> the system I "cut my teeth" on as far as Linux/KDE goes. The major reason
    >> I changed to Gentoo was that upgrading to the next major version of
    >> Mandrake was essentially a reinstall each time. Stuff that. Upgrading
    >> Gentoo couldn't be easier, and gives me MUCH more control.

    >
    > True, but the cavet is that one has to have the ability/training to be
    > able to enjoy the control.


    Indeed. I wouldn't recommend it for my parents (well, not at the moment
    anyway - it's only getting better).

    Allistar.
     
    Allistar, Jan 9, 2006
    #14
  15. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:
    >
    > Speaking broadly, it looks to me like the debian-based distros
    > (Xandros, Ubuntu, Debian) always install more or less perfectly,
    > while the Red Hat-based distros (Fedora Core, Mandriva) almost always
    > have some sort of 'problem'.
    >

    Much as I loathe the DeadRat distros and love the Debian ones, I've
    never found the installation of RPM-based distros to be a problem.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Jan 9, 2006
    #15
  16. steve

    steve Guest

    Enkidu wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >>
    >> Speaking broadly, it looks to me like the debian-based distros
    >> (Xandros, Ubuntu, Debian) always install more or less perfectly,
    >> while the Red Hat-based distros (Fedora Core, Mandriva) almost always
    >> have some sort of 'problem'.
    >>

    > Much as I loathe the DeadRat distros and love the Debian ones, I've
    > never found the installation of RPM-based distros to be a problem.


    It's got nothing to do with the package management, of course.......

    Here's the gory list:

    1. FreeBSD 6.0 - installed fine.
    2. Ubuntu 5.1 - installed fine
    3. Xandros 3.0 - installed fine

    4. Lunar Linux - screen goes black after initial text prompt from CD.
    5. Mandrive - screen goes black after initial boot logo prompt from CD

    Something about the way 4 and 5 handle my video hardware sees the screen go
    black and not come back.

    The other 3 have no trouble at all.

    I wonder what 4 and 5 have in common that sees this happen?
     
    steve, Jan 9, 2006
    #16
  17. steve

    steve Guest

    Gordon wrote:

    > On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:59:18 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> I used Mandrake (before the name change) for a couple of years. It was
    >> the system I "cut my teeth" on as far as Linux/KDE goes. The major reason
    >> I changed to Gentoo was that upgrading to the next major version of
    >> Mandrake was essentially a reinstall each time. Stuff that. Upgrading
    >> Gentoo couldn't be easier, and gives me MUCH more control.

    >
    > True, but the cavet is that one has to have the ability/training to be
    > able to enjoy the control.


    Installing Gentoo is excellent hands-on training to teach you hwat you need
    to have control.

    It is step-by-step and very detailed. If you can read and follow
    instructions, you can install Gentoo.

    Having said that, a lot of people can't read or follow instructions.......
     
    steve, Jan 9, 2006
    #17
  18. steve

    Peter Guest

    steve wrote:
    > I mainly use Xandros.....which has been more or less flawless on my
    > several "diversely hardwared" homebuilt computers.....


    Can you get Xandros in NZ, or do you have to buy it from overseas?
    Is there a NZ mirror for updates?
    Does it come with gnome and kde libraries?


    Peter
     
    Peter, Jan 9, 2006
    #18
  19. steve

    Peter Guest

    shannon wrote:
    > Ubuntu is the gnome default install disk and Kubuntu is the kde default
    > install disk, both assembled from the ubuntu repositaries. ubuntu
    > doesn't have any kde and kubuntu doesn't have any gnome, but you can mix
    > and match from either install.


    Sounds a bit messy.
    Of the apps I like, some use kde libraries and some use gnome. Mandriva
    installs both from the install CDs, which suits me.


    Peter
     
    Peter, Jan 9, 2006
    #19
  20. steve

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >
    >
    >> steve wrote:
    >>
    >>> Speaking broadly, it looks to me like the debian-based distros
    >>> (Xandros, Ubuntu, Debian) always install more or less perfectly,
    >>> while the Red Hat-based distros (Fedora Core, Mandriva) almost
    >>> always have some sort of 'problem'.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Much as I loathe the DeadRat distros and love the Debian ones, I've
    >> never found the installation of RPM-based distros to be a problem.
    >>

    >
    >
    > It's got nothing to do with the package management, of course.......
    >
    > Here's the gory list:
    >
    > 1. FreeBSD 6.0 - installed fine. 2. Ubuntu 5.1 - installed fine 3.
    > Xandros 3.0 - installed fine
    >
    > 4. Lunar Linux - screen goes black after initial text prompt from CD.
    > 5. Mandrive - screen goes black after initial boot logo prompt from
    > CD
    >
    > Something about the way 4 and 5 handle my video hardware sees the
    > screen go black and not come back.
    >
    > The other 3 have no trouble at all.
    >
    > I wonder what 4 and 5 have in common that sees this happen?
    >

    They're both derivatives of Xandros, perhaps?

    I've never ever had a distribution of either type that was difficult to
    install, even going back to early Slackwares installed from floppies!

    Whereas you seem to have problems with all of them! If I go back through
    the archives will I find Steve complaining about Debian-based distros?

    Cheers,

    Cliff
     
    Enkidu, Jan 9, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Au79

    HP To Sell Mandriva Linux-based PCs

    Au79, Jan 26, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    406
  2. thenovelldude

    netgear wg111 and mandriva linux

    thenovelldude, Aug 5, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    513
    Whiskers
    Aug 5, 2006
  3. Au79

    Mandriva Linux 2007

    Au79, Oct 4, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    533
  4. Ron Martell

    Mandriva kernel vulnerabilities

    Ron Martell, Nov 7, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    620
    Whiskers
    Nov 10, 2006
  5. Aardvark

    Dual booting Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu

    Aardvark, Feb 24, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    519
    Whiskers
    Feb 25, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page