mandrake = Mandriva

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005.

  1. Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something to
    do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005

  2. Shane (aka froggy), Apr 7, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    > to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their name to
    a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal battle with the
    Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark for their "Mandrake
    the Magician" comic strip.

    Chris Hope, Apr 7, 2005
  4. Chris Hope wrote:
    >>Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >>to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    > They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their name to
    > a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal battle with the
    > Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark for their "Mandrake
    > the Magician" comic strip.

    my wife helpfully suggests "Condrake would've sounded better, Mandriva
    sounds like the name of a drag queen"

    usenet... a real family affair... atleast in our household
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 7, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >>>Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >>>to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    >> They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their name
    >> to a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal battle
    >> with the Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark for their
    >> "Mandrake the Magician" comic strip.

    > my wife helpfully suggests "Condrake would've sounded better, Mandriva
    > sounds like the name of a drag queen"
    >
    > usenet... a real family affair... atleast in our household

    Someone posted about the name change on ./ and there have been many
    alternate suggestions for names... Mandriva is an odd sort of name but
    Condrake sounds like a duck's trying to con you ;)

    Chris Hope, Apr 7, 2005
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    shannon Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:26:43 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something to
    > do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    Have you tried Ubuntu yet ?
    I see their next version is now a release candidate iso, and should
    apt-get update to the release version.
    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/ubuntu/releases/hoary/hoary-rc-install-i386.iso
    shannon, Apr 8, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    shannon wrote:

    > On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:26:43 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >> to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    > Have you tried Ubuntu yet ?
    > I see their next version is now a release candidate iso, and should
    > apt-get update to the release version.

    http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/ubuntu/releases/hoary/hoary-rc-install-i386.iso

    There's now also Kubuntu if you want a KDE desktop instead of Gnome.
    It's basically the same as Ubuntu but uses KDE instead as the WM.
    http://www.kubuntu.org/

    Chris Hope, Apr 8, 2005
  8. shannon wrote:
    >>Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something to
    >>do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    > Have you tried Ubuntu yet ?

    yep, it didn't seem to like a lot of what was in my system,
    Mandrake/Redhat have always "been good to me" so Im trying the latest
    flavours.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 8, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    shannon Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 11:38:14 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    > shannon wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:26:43 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >>> to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    >> Have you tried Ubuntu yet ?
    >> I see their next version is now a release candidate iso, and should
    >> apt-get update to the release version.
    >>

    > http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/ubuntu/releases/hoary/hoary-rc-install-i386.iso
    >
    > There's now also Kubuntu if you want a KDE desktop instead of Gnome.
    > It's basically the same as Ubuntu but uses KDE instead as the WM.
    > http://www.kubuntu.org/

    I'm quite impressed with the latest Gnome on Ubuntu, it seems to render
    Firefox better than KDE on Xandros 3.0
    shannon, Apr 8, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their
    >>> name to a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal
    >>> battle with the Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark
    >>> for their "Mandrake the Magician" comic strip.

    >> my wife helpfully suggests "Condrake would've sounded better,
    >> Mandriva sounds like the name of a drag queen"
    >>
    >> usenet... a real family affair... atleast in our household

    > Someone posted about the name change on ./ and there have been many
    > alternate suggestions for names... Mandriva is an odd sort of name but
    > Condrake sounds like a duck's trying to con you ;)

    Yeah, into thinking it's a drake. :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 8, 2005
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:
    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >

    >>Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >>to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    > They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their name to
    > a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal battle with the
    > Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark for their "Mandrake
    > the Magician" comic strip.

    That strip MUST be over 50 years old.....and out of copyright.

    steve, Apr 8, 2005
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    steve wrote:

    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>>Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >>>to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    >> They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their name
    >> to a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal battle
    >> with the Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark for their
    >> "Mandrake the Magician" comic strip.

    > That strip MUST be over 50 years old.....and out of copyright.

    Looks like it's still being produced:
    http://www.kingfeatures.com/features/comics/mandrake/about.htm

    ZDNet Article about the court case here:
    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-5162456.html

    From the Wikipedia article about Mandrake, sorry, Mandriva:
    "On February 2004 MandrakeSoft lost a court case against Hearst
    Corporation, owners of King Features Syndicate. Hearst contends that
    MandrakeSoft is infringing upon King Features' trademarked character
    Mandrake the Magician. The word Mandrake is not unique to the King
    Features character, and MandrakeSoft is appealing the decision. As a
    precaution, MandrakeSoft has renamed its products by removing the space
    between the brand name and the product name and changing the first
    letter of the product name to lower case, thus creating one word.
    Starting from version 10.0, Mandrake Linux became known as
    Mandrakelinux, and its logo changed accordingly. Similarly,
    MandrakeMove became Mandrakemove."

    Chris Hope, Apr 8, 2005
  13. steve said the following on 8/04/2005 3:17 p.m.:
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>

    >>> Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >>> to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    >> They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their name to
    >> a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal battle with the
    >> Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark for their "Mandrake
    >> the Magician" comic strip.

    > That strip MUST be over 50 years old.....and out of copyright.

    Not in the USA, they keep changing the rules and copyright seems to live
    forever over there

    Collector»NZ, Apr 8, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:

    > steve said the following on 8/04/2005 3:17 p.m.:
    >> Chris Hope wrote:

    >>> They merged with Conectiva a little while back and changed their
    >>> name to a) reflect the merger and b) to put an end to the legal
    >>> battle with the Hearst Corporation who owns the Mandrake trademark
    >>> for their "Mandrake the Magician" comic strip.

    >> That strip MUST be over 50 years old.....and out of copyright.

    > Not in the USA, they keep changing the rules and copyright seems to
    > live forever over there

    The dispute was over a trademark rather than copyright so I don't know
    if this is quite the same thing, but what I find odd about copyright
    laws is that if you are continuing to produce the stuff why should the
    copyright lapse X years from the date you first produced that work?

    The one they seem to keep mentioning in the USA when they extend
    copyright (which is now 70 years there IIRC) is Mickey Mouse. I don't
    understand why 70 years after MM was first produced that Disney should
    lose copyright over MM because they're still producing stuff with MM in
    it.

    Chris Hope, Apr 8, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mackin Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something to
    > do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    If you don't mind me asking, where were you going to download it from? The
    latest release is only available to club members at the mo and the problem
    with that is the club is so bloody expensive to join.

    Mackin.
    Mackin, Apr 8, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    Mackin wrote:

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >
    >> Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >> to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    > If you don't mind me asking, where were you going to download it from?
    > The latest release is only available to club members at the mo and
    > the problem with that is the club is so bloody expensive to join.

    10.1 is the most recent version and you can download the official
    version here: ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/mandrake-iso/10.1/i586

    10.2 is currently only in release candidiate stage.

    Chris Hope, Apr 8, 2005
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 15:47:32 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    >>> That strip MUST be over 50 years old.....and out of copyright.

    >> Not in the USA, they keep changing the rules and copyright seems to live
    >> forever over there

    > The dispute was over a trademark rather than copyright so I don't know if
    > this is quite the same thing,

    They're not - Trademarks don't expire. Although they can be taken away if
    you stop defending them and let them fall into common use. Hence the
    reason trademarks are vigorously defended - even against people who aren't
    making money off them.

    > but what I find odd about copyright laws is
    > that if you are continuing to produce the stuff why should the copyright
    > lapse X years from the date you first produced that work?

    Copyright applies to each work. Later works will have later copyright
    dates. But where it gets messy is when new editions come out, which
    version are you copying etc etc.

    > The one they seem to keep mentioning in the USA when they extend copyright
    > (which is now 70 years there IIRC) is Mickey Mouse. I don't understand why
    > 70 years after MM was first produced that Disney should lose copyright
    > over MM because they're still producing stuff with MM in it.

    Mickey Mouse himself is protected by trademarks - they don't expire. This
    is what stops you making your own original film with Mickey in it. ie
    Mickey himself is still the exclusive property of Disney.

    Individual films are protected by copyright. If for example Steamboat
    Willy's copyright expired soon, you could then make your own copies of it
    and sell them. But that would not allow you to copy later Mickey Mouse
    films until their copyright had also expired.

    In OOP terms Mickey's trademark is protecting the object class, while
    copyright is protecting the instances (for a limited time). Yeah I know -
    silly analogy ;)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 8, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Hope Guest

    AD. wrote:

    >>> Not in the USA, they keep changing the rules and copyright seems to
    >>> live forever over there

    >> The dispute was over a trademark rather than copyright so I don't
    >> know if this is quite the same thing,

    > They're not - Trademarks don't expire. Although they can be taken away
    > if you stop defending them and let them fall into common use. Hence
    > the reason trademarks are vigorously defended - even against people
    > who aren't making money off them.
    >
    >> but what I find odd about copyright laws is
    >> that if you are continuing to produce the stuff why should the
    >> copyright lapse X years from the date you first produced that work?

    > Copyright applies to each work. Later works will have later copyright
    > dates. But where it gets messy is when new editions come out, which
    > version are you copying etc etc.
    >
    >> The one they seem to keep mentioning in the USA when they extend
    >> copyright (which is now 70 years there IIRC) is Mickey Mouse. I don't
    >> understand why 70 years after MM was first produced that Disney
    >> should lose copyright over MM because they're still producing stuff
    >> with MM in it.

    > Mickey Mouse himself is protected by trademarks - they don't expire.
    > This is what stops you making your own original film with Mickey in
    > it. ie Mickey himself is still the exclusive property of Disney.
    >
    > Individual films are protected by copyright. If for example Steamboat
    > Willy's copyright expired soon, you could then make your own copies of
    > it and sell them. But that would not allow you to copy later Mickey
    > Mouse films until their copyright had also expired.

    Good info. Thanks for that.

    > In OOP terms Mickey's trademark is protecting the object class, while
    > copyright is protecting the instances (for a limited time). Yeah I
    > know - silly analogy ;)

    It's not too bad. But it is pretty geeky ;)

    Chris Hope, Apr 8, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Mackin Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > Mackin wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Well I was going to download the latest mandrake today for something
    >>> to do, and it appears they've changed their name... how odd.

    >> If you don't mind me asking, where were you going to download it from?
    >> The latest release is only available to club members at the mo and
    >> the problem with that is the club is so bloody expensive to join.

    > 10.1 is the most recent version and you can download the official
    > version here: ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/mandrake-iso/10.1/i586
    >
    > 10.2 is currently only in release candidiate stage.

    Not correct I'm afraid. Mandriva Limited Edition 2005 (10.2) is available
    now to Mandrake Club members and will be available to the general public at
    the beginnig of next month.

    See here: http://qa.mandrakesoft.com/twiki/bin/view/Main/Mandrakelinux102

    Mackin
    Mackin, Apr 8, 2005
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 16:10:04 +1200, Chris Hope wrote:

    >> Mickey Mouse himself is protected by trademarks - they don't expire.
    >> This is what stops you making your own original film with Mickey in it.
    >> ie Mickey himself is still the exclusive property of Disney.
    >>
    >> Individual films are protected by copyright. If for example Steamboat
    >> Willy's copyright expired soon, you could then make your own copies of
    >> it and sell them. But that would not allow you to copy later Mickey
    >> Mouse films until their copyright had also expired.

    > Good info. Thanks for that.

    Oh yeah, another difference. You actually have to register trademarks
    (just like patents), whereas copyright is inherent in the creation. It
    still pays to put a copyright notice on a work, but they don't have to be
    registered anywhere.

    >> In OOP terms Mickey's trademark is protecting the object class, while
    >> copyright is protecting the instances (for a limited time). Yeah I know
    >> - silly analogy ;)

    > It's not too bad. But it is pretty geeky ;)

    I had just taken a break from some Python hacking when I answered hehe

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 8, 2005