    think of it generally.
    cheers
    brianM

    brianM, Feb 5, 2007

  2. brianM

    brianM Guest

    On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 02:13:07 +0000, brianM wrote:

    > I've been a fan of Mandrake Linux for a long time. When free Red Hat
    > became Fedora (around #8 iirc) I switched to Mandrake (thanks Nick) and
    > never looked back. Also ran Xandros and Suse, Knoppix and a few others,
    > but Mandrake has been the bread and butter. Recently replaced old faithful
    > Mandrake 10.1 with the latest Mandriva 2007 (64 bit) to keep up with the
    > times. It detected all my hardware and set up the monitor, resolution
    > correctly - something that was always a hassle with Mdk 10. The graphics
    > are very nice, fonts as well, it's quick to load and I like a lot about it.
    > Have struck a few glitches, printer config, Java, Firefox, cant' install my
    > favourite old Pan (even with --oldpackage --replacefiles) without
    > descending into .rpm hell, so I'm stuck with 0.112 (which I don't like).
    > Would be interested to hear from Mandriva 2007 users to see what they
    > think of it generally.
    > cheers
    > brianM

    I need to add that all the glitches (except Pan) have been fixed.
    If anyone needs help with Java or Flash for this distro, or
    any not_too_technical bits, post it here.
    brianM

    brianM, Feb 5, 2007

  3. brianM

    BrianM Guest

    Blue wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 02:13:07 +0000, brianM wrote:
    >
    >> I've been a fan of Mandrake Linux for a long time. When free Red Hat
    >> became Fedora (around #8 iirc) I switched to Mandrake (thanks Nick) and
    >> never looked back. Also ran Xandros and Suse, Knoppix and a few others,
    >> but Mandrake has been the bread and butter. Recently replaced old
    >> faithful Mandrake 10.1 with the latest Mandriva 2007 (64 bit) to keep up
    >> with the times.

    > Ms Penguin here. Look *all* versions of 10.1 should not be running, for
    > the are so old they must be dead.
    >
    > Linux is not MS Windows and one of the differences is the development
    > cycle. People are constantly making things better and when there is a
    > difference a new version is released.
    >
    > As the new edition is free, one should upgrade.
    >
    > 10.1! Ms Penguin is looking for a gun to kill any 10.1 that are still
    > alive.

    hehehehehe. Shouldn't that be Ms Nouvelle ?.
    Whatever.
    Count your blessings that I didn't tell you about
    RedHat6 & KDE1 which is still a decent O/S and will
    still run on anything from a Commodore to a Cray.
    Mdk 10.1 is 2005 and it's old? Wow! that must bring
    Win95 in with the abbacus.
    cheers
    brianM

    BrianM, Feb 5, 2007
  4. brianM

    BrianM Guest

    Blue wrote:

    > On Mon, 05 Feb 2007 02:18:47 +0000, brianM wrote:
    >
    >> I need to add that all the glitches (except Pan) have been fixed.
    >> If anyone needs help with Java or Flash for this distro, or
    >> any not_too_technical bits, post it here.

    > You do know about urpmi yes?

    yes - what do you need to know
    brianM

    BrianM, Feb 5, 2007
  5. brianM

    Mackin_NZ Guest

    brianM wrote:

    > I've been a fan of Mandrake Linux for a long time. When free Red Hat
    > became Fedora (around #8 iirc) I switched to Mandrake (thanks Nick) and
    > never looked back. Also ran Xandros and Suse, Knoppix and a few others,
    > but Mandrake has been the bread and butter. Recently replaced old faithful
    > Mandrake 10.1 with the latest Mandriva 2007 (64 bit) to keep up with the
    > times. It detected all my hardware and set up the monitor, resolution
    > correctly - something that was always a hassle with Mdk 10. The graphics
    > are very nice, fonts as well, it's quick to load and I like a lot about
    > it. Have struck a few glitches, printer config, Java, Firefox, cant'
    > install my favourite old Pan (even with --oldpackage --replacefiles)
    > without descending into .rpm hell, so I'm stuck with 0.112 (which I don't
    > like). Would be interested to hear from Mandriva 2007 users to see what
    > they think of it generally.
    > cheers
    > brianM

    I have been running Mandrake/Mandriva since v9.0. I've had no trouble with
    any of the installs since MDK 10.1. Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack (32 bit)
    installed flawlessly and everything worked out of the box incl Java &
    Firefox. Printing was easy to set up (my printer is on a network print
    server).

    I think Mandriva is awesome.

    I'm always bemused by people who claim Linux is problematic to install and
    difficult to use etc. My experience has been the opposite.

    Mackin

    Mackin_NZ, Feb 5, 2007
  6. brianM

    brianM Guest

    On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:21:14 +1300, Mackin_NZ wrote:

    > brianM wrote:
    >
    >> I've been a fan of Mandrake Linux for a long time. When free Red Hat
    >> became Fedora (around #8 iirc) I switched to Mandrake (thanks Nick) and
    >> never looked back. Also ran Xandros and Suse, Knoppix and a few others,
    >> but Mandrake has been the bread and butter. Recently replaced old faithful
    >> Mandrake 10.1 with the latest Mandriva 2007 (64 bit) to keep up with the
    >> times. It detected all my hardware and set up the monitor, resolution
    >> correctly - something that was always a hassle with Mdk 10. The graphics
    >> are very nice, fonts as well, it's quick to load and I like a lot about
    >> it. Have struck a few glitches, printer config, Java, Firefox, cant'
    >> install my favourite old Pan (even with --oldpackage --replacefiles)
    >> without descending into .rpm hell, so I'm stuck with 0.112 (which I don't
    >> like). Would be interested to hear from Mandriva 2007 users to see what
    >> they think of it generally.
    >> cheers
    >> brianM

    > I have been running Mandrake/Mandriva since v9.0. I've had no trouble with
    > any of the installs since MDK 10.1. Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack (32 bit)
    > installed flawlessly and everything worked out of the box incl Java &
    > Firefox. Printing was easy to set up (my printer is on a network print
    > server).
    >
    > I think Mandriva is awesome.
    >
    > I'm always bemused by people who claim Linux is problematic to install and
    > difficult to use etc. My experience has been the opposite.
    >
    > Mackin

    I'm bemused as well, your hardware must have been made in heaven.

    brianM

    brianM, Feb 5, 2007
  7. brianM

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Feb 5, 2007
  8. brianM

    Blue Guest

    Blue, Feb 5, 2007
  9. brianM

    Enkidu Guest

    brianM wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:21:14 +1300, Mackin_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> brianM wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been a fan of Mandrake Linux for a long time. When free Red
    >>> Hat became Fedora (around #8 iirc) I switched to Mandrake (thanks
    >>> Nick) and never looked back. Also ran Xandros and Suse, Knoppix
    >>> and a few others, but Mandrake has been the bread and butter.
    >>> Recently replaced old faithful Mandrake 10.1 with the latest
    >>> Mandriva 2007 (64 bit) to keep up with the times. It detected all
    >>> my hardware and set up the monitor, resolution correctly -
    >>> something that was always a hassle with Mdk 10. The graphics are
    >>> very nice, fonts as well, it's quick to load and I like a lot
    >>> about it. Have struck a few glitches, printer config, Java,
    >>> Firefox, cant' install my favourite old Pan (even with
    >>> --oldpackage --replacefiles) without descending into .rpm hell,
    >>> so I'm stuck with 0.112 (which I don't like). Would be interested
    >>> to hear from Mandriva 2007 users to see what they think of it
    >>> generally. cheers brianM

    >> I have been running Mandrake/Mandriva since v9.0. I've had no
    >> trouble with any of the installs since MDK 10.1. Mandriva 2007.0
    >> PowerPack (32 bit) installed flawlessly and everything worked out
    >> of the box incl Java & Firefox. Printing was easy to set up (my
    >> printer is on a network print server).
    >>
    >> I think Mandriva is awesome.
    >>
    >> I'm always bemused by people who claim Linux is problematic to
    >> install and difficult to use etc. My experience has been the
    >> opposite.

    > I'm bemused as well, your hardware must have been made in heaven.

    I do it for a living and I've seen minimal problems both with Linux and
    with Windows installs.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Feb 5, 2007
  10. brianM

    Allistar Guest

    brianM wrote:

    > On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 10:21:14 +1300, Mackin_NZ wrote:
    >
    >> brianM wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've been a fan of Mandrake Linux for a long time. When free Red Hat
    >>> became Fedora (around #8 iirc) I switched to Mandrake (thanks Nick) and
    >>> never looked back. Also ran Xandros and Suse, Knoppix and a few others,
    >>> but Mandrake has been the bread and butter. Recently replaced old
    >>> faithful Mandrake 10.1 with the latest Mandriva 2007 (64 bit) to keep up
    >>> with the times. It detected all my hardware and set up the monitor,
    >>> resolution correctly - something that was always a hassle with Mdk 10.
    >>> The graphics are very nice, fonts as well, it's quick to load and I like
    >>> a lot about it. Have struck a few glitches, printer config, Java,
    >>> Firefox, cant' install my favourite old Pan (even with --oldpackage
    >>> --replacefiles) without descending into .rpm hell, so I'm stuck with
    >>> 0.112 (which I don't like). Would be interested to hear from Mandriva
    >>> 2007 users to see what they think of it generally.
    >>> cheers
    >>> brianM

    >> I have been running Mandrake/Mandriva since v9.0. I've had no trouble
    >> with
    >> any of the installs since MDK 10.1. Mandriva 2007.0 PowerPack (32 bit)
    >> installed flawlessly and everything worked out of the box incl Java &
    >> Firefox. Printing was easy to set up (my printer is on a network print
    >> server).
    >>
    >> I think Mandriva is awesome.
    >>
    >> I'm always bemused by people who claim Linux is problematic to install
    >> and
    >> difficult to use etc. My experience has been the opposite.
    >>
    >> Mackin
    >>

    > I'm bemused as well, your hardware must have been made in heaven.
    >
    > brianM

    I've never had hardware issues with any recent Linux distros (except Kubuntu
    assigned eth1 to the NIC with the cable plugged in instead of eth0).

    Most issues are software configuration issues, like setting up a Samba
    server. Even then they are easily fixed.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 6, 2007