Mandrake 9.1 stalling on startup

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
    (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if you
    leave it it fires into life and is working.

    Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

    mandrake 9.1
    uname -r give 2.4.21-0.13mdk
    default install

    XP2100
    KT400 motherboard with Via chipset
    40G on IDE0 but it is split
    6G FAT32-
    24G NTFS-
    10G Linux Ext2
    576Meg Linux swap.

    In that order.

    GeForce4MX460

    Anything else you need to know or do you know how to speed up bootup?

    PS> Many thanx to Recycler Man for his help getting this thing on it's
    way.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 15, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    Matthias Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
    > (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if you
    > leave it it fires into life and is working.
    >
    > Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

    It is likely to be a timeout of some sort. Did you recently make changes
    to your /etc/hosts file?

    -- Matthias
    Matthias, Jul 15, 2003

  3. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    "Matthias" <> wrote in message
    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    > > Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
    > > (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if

    you
    > > leave it it fires into life and is working.
    > >
    > > Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

    > It is likely to be a timeout of some sort. Did you recently make changes
    > to your /etc/hosts file?
    >
    > -- Matthias

    No. default install. has done it from the very first boot.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 15, 2003
  4. cowboyz

    AD. Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    >> It is likely to be a timeout of some sort. Did you recently make changes
    >> to your /etc/hosts file?
    >>
    >> -- Matthias
    >>

    > No. default install. has done it from the very first boot.

    Sendmail can cause stuff like that if the hostname and/or domain isn't fully
    configured.

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Jul 15, 2003
  5. cowboyz

    Brett Mason Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:54:06 +1200, cowboyz wrote:

    > Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
    > (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if
    > you leave it it fires into life and is working.
    >
    > Is this a known problem and is there a fix?

    I have heard of others who had the same problem. I think it was network
    related.

    Is your NIC set to get its address automatically?

    Does your hostname have an address associated with it in /etc/hosts?
    Mandrake should have done for you but some times it doesn't.

    Just for reference, I have a similar system running mandrake 9.1 and it
    takes 1:30 - 2mins to start up depending on what services I start.

    Brett.
    Brett Mason, Jul 15, 2003
  6. cowboyz

    Peter Guest

    this quote is from cowboyz of Tue, 15 Jul 2003 12:54 :
    > Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
    > (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if
    > you leave it it fires into life and is working.

    Look in /var/log/messages
    This file needs root permissions to view it, and it logs timestamped events
    including boot up.

    In more detail ...
    open a konsole or xterm or whatever
    cd /var/log
    su
    (enter your root password)
    less messages
    This can be long, so ctrl-end then page up. In your case, look at the time
    stamps to see where it is pausing. Maybe this will give some clues.

    Or, use the command dmesg to see boot up log, but it isn't timestamped.

    HTH

    Peter
    Peter, Jul 15, 2003
  7. cowboyz

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:10:37 +1200, Brett Mason wrote:

    > I have heard of others who had the same problem. I think it was network
    > related.
    >
    > Is your NIC set to get its address automatically?

    it has a static IP (102.169.0.1)

    > Does your hostname have an address associated with it in /etc/hosts?
    > Mandrake should have done for you but some times it doesn't.

    only 127.0.0.1 localhsot

    should I put in the eth0 192.168.0.1 ?

    > Just for reference, I have a similar system running mandrake 9.1 and it
    > takes 1:30 - 2mins to start up depending on what services I start.
    >
    > Brett.

    To show you what I am on about it show the time at 17:06:03 just before it
    locks up and it loaded the desktop at 17:12
    cowboyzlinux, Jul 15, 2003
  8. cowboyz

    Brett Mason Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:30:37 +0100, cowboyzlinux wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:10:37 +1200, Brett Mason wrote:
    >

    >> I have heard of others who had the same problem. I think it was network
    >> related.
    >>
    >> Is your NIC set to get its address automatically?
    >>

    > it has a static IP (102.169.0.1)
    >
    >> Does your hostname have an address associated with it in /etc/hosts?
    >> Mandrake should have done for you but some times it doesn't.

    > only 127.0.0.1 localhsot
    >
    > should I put in the eth0 192.168.0.1 ?

    Yes, if your hostname is set to something other than localhost.

    Also have a look in /var/log/messages as peter suggested. If something is
    wrong with linux it will usually tell you there.

    Brett.
    Brett Mason, Jul 16, 2003
  9. cowboyz

    Allistar Guest

    Brett Mason wrote:

    > On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 21:30:37 +0100, cowboyzlinux wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:10:37 +1200, Brett Mason wrote:
    >>

    >>> I have heard of others who had the same problem. I think it was network
    >>> related.
    >>>
    >>> Is your NIC set to get its address automatically?
    >>>

    >> it has a static IP (102.169.0.1)
    >>
    >>> Does your hostname have an address associated with it in /etc/hosts?
    >>> Mandrake should have done for you but some times it doesn't.

    >> only 127.0.0.1 localhsot
    >>
    >> should I put in the eth0 192.168.0.1 ?
    >>

    > Yes, if your hostname is set to something other than localhost.
    >
    > Also have a look in /var/log/messages as peter suggested. If something is
    > wrong with linux it will usually tell you there.

    That's interesting. I have just changed my hostname from localhost to
    allistar.paradise.net.nz to get sendmail working and I noticed when I
    rebooted yesterday that it took ages to startup.

    I'm not too concerned as I leave my PC on 24x7 (it had been previously
    running for 86 days when I rebooted to add some new hardware).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Jul 16, 2003
  10. cowboyz

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:22:58 +1200, m00se wrote:

    > cowboyzlinux wrote:
    > > it has a static IP (102.169.0.1)
    >>

    > Im presuming this is a typo?

    sorry.. damn I wish I was a typist.

    should say 192.168.0.1
    cowboyzlinux, Jul 16, 2003
  11. cowboyz

    Thor Guest

    Around %D Allistar Spake of :

    > Brett Mason wrote:

    >>> it has a static IP (102.169.0.1)

    >>> only 127.0.0.1 localhsot
    >>>
    >>> should I put in the eth0 192.168.0.1 ?
    >>>

    >> Yes, if your hostname is set to something other than localhost.
    >>
    >> Also have a look in /var/log/messages as peter suggested. If something is
    >> wrong with linux it will usually tell you there.

    > That's interesting. I have just changed my hostname from localhost to
    > allistar.paradise.net.nz to get sendmail working and I noticed when I
    > rebooted yesterday that it took ages to startup.

    You shouldn't change the localhost to the new host, some of the apps need
    the local host line, you should in fact enter the second line with the host
    and ip of the ethernet etc..Or at least that's what you need to do in
    Redhat, Mandrake could be different,

    > I'm not too concerned as I leave my PC on 24x7 (it had been previously
    > running for 86 days when I rebooted to add some new hardware).

    Tend to do the samwe, switch the monitor off when I'm not using it otherwise
    the only time I reboot or shutdown is to run a new kernel..
    Thor, Jul 16, 2003
  12. cowboyz

    J Murphy Guest

    I just posted a similar question over in alt.os.linux.mandrake. Mine hangs
    at the same place, although I've never let it go that far without a forced
    reboot. Second time around it works fine (in Linux within seconds).

    I'd be curious what you find to resolve it - thanks all.

    J Murphy, Jul 17, 2003
  13. cowboyz

    Owen Cook Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, cowboyz wrote:

    > Just after it checks the dependencies it pauses for about 5 minutes
    > (probably longer than that actually) I tought it was locking up but if you
    > leave it it fires into life and is working.

    I have 2 x 9.1s, the first is a upgrade of a 9.0 and it often, like every
    second time, stalls at the "loading compose keys Latin" or similar. I am
    certain that I also get a prior error message about a missing partition
    which google suggests is my ZIP drive.

    Hit the reset button and there is a 90% chance that the new boot up will
    go without any problem. The most reboots I have had to do is 2.

    The second 9.1 is a clean install on another HDD and sofar there has been
    no lockups.

    Just one of those mysteries that I am not prepared to spend any more time
    on.

    Owen
    Owen Cook, Jul 23, 2003