mandrake 9.1 and Windows XP networking

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Kenny S, Jul 18, 2004.

  1. Kenny S

    Kenny S Guest

    I want to share a folder using samba server on linux so that my XP machine
    will be able to write and read files on that machine.. I will be using it as
    a file server.

    I have Samba up and running on the Mandrake 9.1 machine and I can see in the
    windows xp network a new workgroup called MDKgroup and when I open that I
    see a computer thats name is
    SMABA SERVER 2.2.7a (localhost).

    Does anyone know what I have to do to create the correct permissions for xp
    tp be able to browse a folder, and
    how to share a folder in mandrake?

    If anyone can help in simple step by step instrunctions it would be great
    because I dont know much about linux.

    THANKS IN ADVANCE!

    Kenny S
    http://www.computerboom.net
    FREE programs and MORE!

    ---

    Kenny S, Jul 18, 2004

  2. Kenny S

    Malke Guest

    Kenny S wrote:

    > I want to share a folder using samba server on linux so that my XP
    > machine will be able to write and read files on that machine.. I will
    > be using it as a file server.
    >
    > I have Samba up and running on the Mandrake 9.1 machine and I can see
    > in the windows xp network a new workgroup called MDKgroup and when I
    > open that I see a computer thats name is
    > SMABA SERVER 2.2.7a (localhost).
    >
    > Does anyone know what I have to do to create the correct permissions
    > for xp tp be able to browse a folder, and
    > how to share a folder in mandrake?
    >
    > If anyone can help in simple step by step instrunctions it would be
    > great because I dont know much about linux.

    man samba

    Or go to the official Samba site, here:

    http://www.samba.org/

    You can also use SWAT or Webmin if you need a gui instead of
    hand-editing the samba.config file, although I'm sure Mandrake has a
    gui-based configuration tool built-in. I just don't know what it is
    since I haven't used Mandrake for years.

    Malke
    --
    MS MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Elephant Boy Computers