    I just installed Mandrake 10.0 ( I had the CDs ) and noticed that 10.1 has
    been released. Is there anyway I can update to it without losing all my
    configurations etc?
    -[Myth]-, Nov 3, 2004

  2. -[Myth]-

    -[Myth]- Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:

    > I just installed Mandrake 10.0 ( I had the CDs ) and noticed that 10.1 has
    > been released. Is there anyway I can update to it without losing all my
    > configurations etc?

    BTW: Kontact has an excellent news reader (IMHO Easier and faster than
    anything i've used on windows)
    -[Myth]-, Nov 3, 2004

  3. -[Myth]-

    Allistar Guest

    -[Myth]- wrote:

    > I just installed Mandrake 10.0 ( I had the CDs ) and noticed that 10.1 has
    > been released. Is there anyway I can update to it without losing all my
    > configurations etc?

    It's been a while since I used Mandrake but I think you can simply use 10.1
    sources for the rpm database. Google for "easy urpmi" and see if one of the
    easy urpmi website has the 10.1 sources available yet. Follow the
    instructions there to re-setup your urpmi source media.

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 3, 2004
  4. -[Myth]-

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:38:26 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed Mandrake 10.0 ( I had the CDs ) and noticed that 10.1 has
    >> been released. Is there anyway I can update to it without losing all my
    >> configurations etc?

    > It's been a while since I used Mandrake but I think you can simply use 10.1
    > sources for the rpm database. Google for "easy urpmi" and see if one of the
    > easy urpmi website has the 10.1 sources available yet. Follow the
    > instructions there to re-setup your urpmi source media.
    >
    > Allistar.

    No. You will make a big mess. You are better to get Mandrake 10.1 cd's,
    and then do an "upgrade of 10.0", rather than a fresh install. Your
    configuration should be preserved. If you have /home on a separate
    partition, you can do an install (rather than an upgrade), without
    affecting your user configuration.

    Matt
    Dumbkiwi, Nov 3, 2004
  5. -[Myth]-

    Allistar Guest

    Dumbkiwi wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 20:38:26 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >
    >> -[Myth]- wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just installed Mandrake 10.0 ( I had the CDs ) and noticed that 10.1
    >>> has been released. Is there anyway I can update to it without losing all
    >>> my configurations etc?

    >> It's been a while since I used Mandrake but I think you can simply use
    >> 10.1 sources for the rpm database. Google for "easy urpmi" and see if one
    >> of the easy urpmi website has the 10.1 sources available yet. Follow the
    >> instructions there to re-setup your urpmi source media.
    >>
    >> Allistar.

    > No. You will make a big mess. You are better to get Mandrake 10.1 cd's,
    > and then do an "upgrade of 10.0", rather than a fresh install. Your
    > configuration should be preserved. If you have /home on a separate
    > partition, you can do an install (rather than an upgrade), without
    > affecting your user configuration.
    >
    > Matt

    I upgraded from 9.1 to 10.0CE in exactly this way and it worked fine.

    I do agree that a cleaner way would be to reinstall from CD, so long as you
    have a separate partition for /home.

    It was this very reason (lack of ease of upgrading) that convinced me to
    start using Gentoo (as well as the control Gentoo gives me and the fuzzy
    feeling of things being compiled for my exact architecture).

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Nov 3, 2004
  6. -[Myth]-

    Guest

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:10:31 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > I just installed Mandrake 10.0 ( I had the CDs ) and noticed that 10.1
    > has been released. Is there anyway I can update to it without losing all
    > my configurations etc?

    Yes - get 10.1 and choose the "upgrade" option.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."
  7. -[Myth]-

    Guest

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2004 18:11:45 +1300, -[Myth]- wrote:

    > -[Myth]- wrote:
    >
    >> I just installed Mandrake 10.0 ( I had the CDs ) and noticed that 10.1 has
    >> been released. Is there anyway I can update to it without losing all my
    >> configurations etc?

    > BTW: Kontact has an excellent news reader (IMHO Easier and faster than
    > anything i've used on windows)

    Have you tried Pan?

    Have you tried Xnews?

    Personally, I think that Xnews was the best of the Windows-only NG readers.

    Alas it's developor is not interested in producing a Linux version. :eek:(

    Divine