    there. The installation proceeds for a short time, detects the mouse, and
    then just stops with no error messages.

    TIA
    Diane, Mar 24, 2005

  2. Diane

    cluedweasel Guest

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:55:08 -0000, "Diane" <> wrote:

    >I want to make my XP Home machine into a dual boot one with Mandrake 10.1.
    >Should I remove XP first with a 98 floppy, then install Mandrake?
    >
    >I ask because I have tried booting from the Linux CD while XP is still
    >there. The installation proceeds for a short time, detects the mouse, and
    >then just stops with no error messages.

    I would leave the XP alone at the moment. If the Mandrake CD is
    failing to boot then it is probably nothing to do with the XP
    installation. Try asking in one of the Mandrake groups.
    cluedweasel, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Diane

    Parko Guest

    Diane wrote:
    > I want to make my XP Home machine into a dual boot one with Mandrake 10.1.
    > Should I remove XP first with a 98 floppy, then install Mandrake?
    >
    > I ask because I have tried booting from the Linux CD while XP is still
    > there. The installation proceeds for a short time, detects the mouse, and
    > then just stops with no error messages.
    >
    > TIA

    10.1 Community Edition or Official Edition? Leave WinXP alone and allow
    Mandrake to configure a /(root), Swap, and /home partition for you.
    Mandy will install the Lilo bootloader for you which can be uninstalled
    from CD1. As for the installation hanging after mouse detection, try
    checking keyboard and other basic hardware configuration. I suspect an
    unusual VGA card, so try installing in text mode (hit F1) and use the
    older 2.4.xx kernel with Xfree86 as the graphical server. BTW Mandrake
    10.2 will be out soon, I've been farting around with a beta version and
    it looks pretty good, you could just wait and install that version.

    --
    Parko
    Parko, Mar 25, 2005