    remote computer so I can allow this user to manage these services?

    TIA

    Nathan

    Nathan, Jul 16, 2007

  2. Hi,

    Nathan schrieb:
    > We are running Win2k3 x64 as a TS and the GPMC isn't supported.

    Simply install the GPMC it on XP or 2003 (x86).

    Mark
    --
    Mark Heitbrink - MVP Windows Server - Group Policy

    Homepage: www.gruppenrichtlinien.de - deutsch
    Blog: gpupdate.spaces.live.com - english

    Mark Heitbrink [MVP], Jul 16, 2007

  3. Nathan

    Nathan Guest

    Hi Mark,

    I have done this, but how can I show the services that are installed on the
    remote computer?

    When I open the GPO it only shows the services from the machine that I am
    viewing the GPO on.

    Nathan

    Nathan, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Hi,

    Nathan schrieb:
    > I have done this, but how can I show the services that are installed on the
    > remote computer?
    > When I open the GPO it only shows the services from the machine that I am
    > viewing the GPO on.

    - create a GPO, not linked
    - edit a local service, no matter which one
    - open the created GptTmpl.inf with an editor (notepad)
    - remove the entry or replace bei yours
    - you have to use the Name from registry, not the Displayname
    - save it on your desktop
    - import the *.inf on "Security Settings" -> Context menu -> Import
    Done.

    They will be displayed with name you typed in.

    Alterntative:
    - Use the system, with the installed services
    - MMC -> SnapIn "Security TEmplates"
    - create a new on, edit the services in the UI
    - save *.inf
    - import into GPO like in the example above.

    Perhaps a littel bit easier, because you can edit the settings
    in the UI, especially much easier if you are not only define
    the startoptions, but security settings.

    Mark

    Mark Heitbrink [MVP], Jul 16, 2007
  5. If you set service permissions this way, do it from a W2k3, not an
    XP (unless you have obtained and applied the post-SP2 patch for
    XP http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894794 )

    Since this may be a one-time event, it might just be more simple
    to set the permissions with the sc utility using the sdshow action
    to get the current permissions, and then adding an ACE for the
    desired grantee and applying with sdset)

    Roger

    Roger Abell [MVP], Jul 16, 2007
  6. Nathan

    Nathan Guest