Managing bluetooth: how best to proceed?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by spamlet, Feb 21, 2008.

  1. spamlet

    spamlet Guest

    We are beginning to acquire blue tooth devices and things are starting to
    get confusing.

    Our XPPro seems to have its own bluetooth management settings in control
    panel.
    Then there is a 'BlueSoleil' suite that loaded itself with our 'dongle', and
    through which I have been pairing other devices but not using its other
    'services'.
    And another set that came with our Nokia phone which we seem to have to use
    for synchronising the contacts and diary if nothing else.

    Now we have bought a Motorola headset to use both with the phone, and with
    the pc for Skype.

    Foolishly, I was expecting this to be just a 'pair it and go' thing, but it
    is all getting rather difficult to keep track of. I was expecting the
    headset to be just a substitute for the desktop speakers but this does not
    seem to be the case.

    I notice that if I set Skype to use the headset, our desktop speakers
    continue to put out radio streamed via Realplayer, but the speaker icon in
    the notification area becomes the volume control for the headset, and does
    not pick up the radio stream.

    The headset properties also seem to have an option to connect through the
    wireless LAN: an unanticipated prospect of mixing connexions that makes my
    head hurt!

    I am obviously not managing all this very effectively: how should I be
    setting things up and keeping track?

    Helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.

    Regards,

    spamlet, Feb 21, 2008

  2. spamlet

    smlunatick Guest

    On Feb 21, 10:48 am, "spamlet" <> wrote:
    > We are beginning to acquire blue tooth devices and things are starting to
    > get confusing.
    >
    > Our XPPro seems to have its own bluetooth management settings in control
    > panel.
    > Then there is a 'BlueSoleil' suite that loaded itself with our 'dongle', and
    > through which I have been pairing other devices but not using its other
    > 'services'.
    > And another set that came with our Nokia phone which we seem to have to use
    > for synchronising the contacts and diary if nothing else.
    >
    > Now we have bought a Motorola headset to use both with the phone, and with
    > the pc for Skype.
    >
    > Foolishly, I was expecting this to be just a 'pair it and go' thing, but it
    > is all getting rather difficult to keep track of.  I was expecting the
    > headset to be just a substitute for the desktop speakers but this does not
    > seem to be the case.
    >
    > I notice that if I set Skype to use the headset, our desktop speakers
    > continue to put out radio streamed via Realplayer, but the speaker icon in
    > the notification area becomes the volume control for the headset, and does
    > not pick up the radio stream.
    >
    > The headset properties also seem to have an option to connect through the
    > wireless LAN: an unanticipated prospect of mixing connexions that makes my
    > head hurt!
    >
    > I am obviously not managing all this very effectively:  how should I be
    > setting things up and keeping track?
    >
    > Helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,

    Microsoft's standard Bluetooth protocol stack is very limited.
    Microsoft has deemed to only use Bluetooth for mouse, keyboard, serial
    port and "pesonal network" (PAN.) To use headsets, you must use some
    other Bluetooth protocol stack after renaming Microsoft's Bluetooth
    INF file (BTH.INF) so it does not over-ride the new BT stack.

    smlunatick, Feb 21, 2008

  3. spamlet

    Steve H Guest

    "smlunatick" <> wrote in message
    On Feb 21, 10:48 am, "spamlet" <> wrote:
    > We are beginning to acquire blue tooth devices and things are starting to
    > get confusing.
    >
    > Our XPPro seems to have its own bluetooth management settings in control
    > panel.
    > Then there is a 'BlueSoleil' suite that loaded itself with our 'dongle',
    > and
    > through which I have been pairing other devices but not using its other
    > 'services'.
    > And another set that came with our Nokia phone which we seem to have to
    > use
    > for synchronising the contacts and diary if nothing else.
    >
    > Now we have bought a Motorola headset to use both with the phone, and with
    > the pc for Skype.
    >
    > Foolishly, I was expecting this to be just a 'pair it and go' thing, but
    > it
    > is all getting rather difficult to keep track of. I was expecting the
    > headset to be just a substitute for the desktop speakers but this does not
    > seem to be the case.
    >
    > I notice that if I set Skype to use the headset, our desktop speakers
    > continue to put out radio streamed via Realplayer, but the speaker icon in
    > the notification area becomes the volume control for the headset, and does
    > not pick up the radio stream.
    >
    > The headset properties also seem to have an option to connect through the
    > wireless LAN: an unanticipated prospect of mixing connexions that makes my
    > head hurt!
    >
    > I am obviously not managing all this very effectively: how should I be
    > setting things up and keeping track?
    >
    > Helpful suggestions would be much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,

    Microsoft's standard Bluetooth protocol stack is very limited.
    Microsoft has deemed to only use Bluetooth for mouse, keyboard, serial
    port and "pesonal network" (PAN.) To use headsets, you must use some
    other Bluetooth protocol stack after renaming Microsoft's Bluetooth
    INF file (BTH.INF) so it does not over-ride the new BT stack.

    Thanks SM,
    I had began to wonder about XP's capabilities:
    I tried uninstalling the BlueSoleil software to simplify things, but then
    found I no longer had any options for the headset showing up in Skype even
    though the device itself was showing in the MS bluetooth devices dialogue as
    connected and working. The uninstall did get the Skype sound coming out of
    the desktop speaker though.

    I'm not sure what you mean by a 'bluetooth stack', but would there be one I
    could get that would manage the phone, pc, and headset settings all in one
    place as the MS should have done? Is there an update from MS on this: they
    are forever sending updates for everything else! We already were reluctant
    to use the BlueSoleil as it was not able to handle the synchronising of the
    Nokia phone very easily.

    Thanks for your help,

    Steve H, Feb 24, 2008
  4. spamlet

    spamlet Guest

    "Steve H" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    > Thanks SM,
    > I had began to wonder about XP's capabilities:
    > I tried uninstalling the BlueSoleil software to simplify things, but then
    > found I no longer had any options for the headset showing up in Skype even
    > though the device itself was showing in the MS bluetooth devices dialogue
    > as connected and working. The uninstall did get the Skype sound coming
    > out of the desktop speaker though.
    >
    > I'm not sure what you mean by a 'bluetooth stack', but would there be one
    > I could get that would manage the phone, pc, and headset settings all in
    > one place as the MS should have done? Is there an update from MS on this:
    > they are forever sending updates for everything else! We already were
    > reluctant to use the BlueSoleil as it was not able to handle the
    > synchronising of the Nokia phone very easily.

    PS
    Apologies for any confusion created by replying above with wrong ID!

    spamlet, Feb 25, 2008