    line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
    <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.

    There are some real asshats on the internet.
    SlowLearner, Dec 18, 2007

  2. SlowLearner wrote:
    > I had a lightbulb moment and checked who owned com.co.nz (some guy in
    > Palmerston North)
    >
    > Then I did an nslookup on com.co.nz and it returned 208.73.212.12.
    >
    > So I guess what they have done is registered com.co.nz.
    >
    > When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
    > line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
    > <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.

    Probably your browser.
    Mark Robinson, Dec 18, 2007

  3. SlowLearner

    Richard Guest

    SlowLearner wrote:
    > I had a lightbulb moment and checked who owned com.co.nz (some guy in
    > Palmerston North)
    >
    > Then I did an nslookup on com.co.nz and it returned 208.73.212.12.
    >
    > So I guess what they have done is registered com.co.nz.
    >
    > When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
    > line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
    > <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.
    >
    > There are some real asshats on the internet.

    Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite
    cleaver.
    Richard, Dec 19, 2007
  4. SlowLearner

    Rob S Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > SlowLearner wrote:
    >> I had a lightbulb moment and checked who owned com.co.nz (some guy in
    >> Palmerston North)
    >>
    >> Then I did an nslookup on com.co.nz and it returned 208.73.212.12.
    >>
    >> So I guess what they have done is registered com.co.nz.
    >>
    >> When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
    >> line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
    >> <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.
    >>
    >> There are some real asshats on the internet.

    > Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite
    > cleaver.

    Correct. Whoever set up the dns server is more likely the one at fault,
    not the owner of the domain. Are you sure it's a dns server at fault,
    and not some setting in your browser. IIRC, An older version of IE gave
    you the option of auto-completion of country domains i.e. auto add .com
    or .com.au etc. Don't know if IE still does it as I don't use it.

    --

    Rob
    http://www.aspir8or.com

    I do know everything, just not all at once. It's a virtual memory problem.
    Rob S, Dec 19, 2007
  5. In article
    <>,
    SlowLearner did write:

    > When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
    > line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end ...

    That's being done on your system.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 19, 2007
  6. SlowLearner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SlowLearner <> wrote in news:1d4c08aa-b8f2-48fd-
    :

    > When I try to go to an address that does not exist a nameserver up the
    > line from me 'helpfully' adds .co.nz on the end changing the url to
    > <somename>.com.co.nz which then redirects to information.com.

    Doubtful
    I think if you are running windows, you might want to google for a tutorial
    on nslookup
    Learn how the hosts file , the DNS servers and finaly a URL in your browser
    all go together.

    Try this, start, run, cmd, nslookup, help

    It is a very powerful tool.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 19, 2007
  7. SlowLearner

    SlowLearner Guest

    1stly, apologies for not replying to my own thread about Domain
    Squatting and starting this one as well, I got a little confused.

    Thanks for the advice guys

    The only bit I am unsure of is that when I use nslookup from the
    commandline it returns 208.73.212.12 if I enter the name of a .com
    domain that does not exist.

    As I am not doing this from the browser so I don't think it is adding
    the .co.nz bit. Trying it somewhere else (different location,
    different ISP but still on an XP machine) did not result in .co.nz
    being added and returned a "Domain does not exist".

    I *thought* it was working like this:

    1. I enter: nslookup <some unused domain>.com
    2. nslookup trundles off and passes my query down the line of DNS
    servers until hopefully one recognises the name.
    3. none of the DNS servers recognises the name
    4. somewhere along the line the "Domain does not exist" message is
    caught by a helpful nameserver (or other application) and .co.nz is
    added to the end giving <somename>.com.co.nz.
    5. This returns a result everytime (try typing nslookup
    asdsdlfkjsdfk.com.co.nz) which directs you to a "search" site.

    >Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite cleaver.

    I think having someone (something?) helpfully try other extensions
    *is* helpful, what I thought was pretty lame was taking advantage of
    this and registering a domain as a catch all to sending the poor user
    to a crappy "search" site when you mistype /enter a non-existant
    domain name instead of letting things take their course.
    SlowLearner, Dec 19, 2007
  8. SlowLearner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    SlowLearner <> wrote in news:d1a4362b-5a21-478d-
    :

    > I think having someone (something?) helpfully try other extensions
    > *is* helpful, what I thought was pretty lame was taking advantage of
    > this and registering a domain as a catch all to sending the poor user
    > to a crappy "search" site when you mistype /enter a non-existant
    > domain name instead of letting things take their course.

    Maybe your DNS server is doing this?

    Look into how OpenDNS can help or hinder users:
    Try using a different DNS server to do the lookup.
    OpenDNS is here:
    http://www.opendns.com/
    It redirects invalid DNS queries to safer web sites to protect users who
    don't know any better. It is a good idea for users who cant keep their
    machine up to date with AV, Anti Spyware and just click everything. It is
    not a cure, but helps.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Dec 19, 2007
  9. In article
    <>,
    SlowLearner did write:

    ]> The only bit I am unsure of is that when I use nslookup from the
    > commandline it returns 208.73.212.12 if I enter the name of a .com
    > domain that does not exist.

    nslookup is obsolete. Try the host command, e.g.

    $ host -C example.com
    example.com NS a.iana-servers.net
    dns1.icann.org hostmaster.icann.org (2007051703 7200 3600 1209600 86400)
    !!! example.com SOA primary dns1.icann.org is not advertised via NS
    example.com NS b.iana-servers.net
    dns1.icann.org hostmaster.icann.org (2007051703 7200 3600 1209600 86400)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 19, 2007
  10. In article <>, SlowLearner <> wrote:
    (snip)

    >>Please explain how that is an asshat thing do to? I thought it is quite

    > cleaver.
    >
    >I think having someone (something?) helpfully try other extensions
    >*is* helpful, what I thought was pretty lame was taking advantage of
    >this and registering a domain as a catch all to sending the poor user
    >to a crappy "search" site when you mistype /enter a non-existant
    >domain name instead of letting things take their course.

    IIRC, there are/were telcos in the US (at least) who register names such as
    "I don't care", "I have no idea", "couldn't care less" and similar, so that
    when they call and ask you what teleco you are with and you give them one of
    those answers, they can sign you up. This may have been some time ago ...
    and it may also be wrong - memory is like that. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 20, 2007
  11. SlowLearner

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote in news:fkaqtj
    $h9a$:

    > nslookup is obsolete.

    in some OS

    --