    Ben Guest

    Can anyone recommend a host that can provide managed servers in NZ?

    Thanks.
    Ben, Sep 5, 2003

  2. Ben

    max Guest

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:

    >Can anyone recommend a host that can provide managed servers in NZ?
    >
    >Thanks.

    Do you mean becoming a reseller. Iserve do that, as well as many
    others.
    max, Sep 6, 2003

  3. Ben

    Ben Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    > <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >Can anyone recommend a host that can provide managed servers in NZ?
    > >

    > Wut? Can you expand on that. What do you actually want? Web server?
    > What do you mean by "managed"?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    > --

    Sorry, thought it was a commonly used term. I meant a dedicated server that
    the host 'manages', i.e, keeps the OS, Control Panel & Apache updated with
    patches, takes care of the any hardware issues, etc.

    Ben
    Ben, Sep 6, 2003
  4. Ben

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 04:08:57 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:

    >"Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    >> <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Can anyone recommend a host that can provide managed servers in NZ?
    >> >

    >> Wut? Can you expand on that. What do you actually want? Web server?
    >> What do you mean by "managed"?
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >> --

    >Sorry, thought it was a commonly used term. I meant a dedicated server that
    >the host 'manages', i.e, keeps the OS, Control Panel & Apache updated with
    >patches, takes care of the any hardware issues, etc.

    Well, technically, a "host" is a server or workstation and the
    "hostname" is "macfly", or "odin" or "ws000345" or whatever you decide
    to name it. A server's hostname might be "www".

    So I assume that you are talking about a hosting service, and more
    specifically one that does web hosting. You don't mention the OS,
    which is OK if all you have is static pages. You don't mention what
    access you might need, eg shell, ftp, FrontPage, so it's a little
    difficult to suggest someone. You don't mention how many pages,
    either.

    These are the sorts of details you should be putting to the hosting
    providers that you contact. I hope it is of some help.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.
    Enkidu, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Ben

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 04:09:56 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:

    >"max" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    >> <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can anyone recommend a host that can provide managed servers in NZ?

    >> Do you mean becoming a reseller. Iserve do that, as well as many
    >> others.

    >No, it's not for reselling but to be used for remote backups.

    Do you mean a "hot standby" for your present server, so that if it
    goes down the other one can be fired up to take up the load?

    Enkidu, Sep 6, 2003
  6. Ben

    max Guest

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2003 04:09:56 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:

    >"max" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 18:04:07 +0000 (UTC), "Ben"
    >> <ben@nospam_uktrader.net> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Can anyone recommend a host that can provide managed servers in NZ?
    >> >
    >> >Thanks.
    >> >

    >> Do you mean becoming a reseller. Iserve do that, as well as many
    >> others.

    >No, it's not for reselling but to be used for remote backups.

    You could try iserve, they have dedicated servers that they may be
    able to mange for you.
    max, Sep 6, 2003
  7. Ben

    Ben Guest

    > >> Do you mean becoming a reseller. Iserve do that, as well as many
    > >> others.

    > >No, it's not for reselling but to be used for remote backups.
    > >

    > You could try iserve, they have dedicated servers that they may be
    > able to mange for you.

    Thanks, have emailed iserve to ask if they can provide a fully-managed
    service.

    Am I right in thinking that if connections to the server to back up data on
    a daily basis are going to be exclusively from with NZ that it makes sense
    for the server to be located in NZ or doesn't it matter? I know ping times
    across the Pacific are considerably longer than within NZ but what
    difference would that make when backing up data. Would it make much
    difference to the backup times?

    Thanks,
    Ben
    Ben, Sep 6, 2003
  8. Ben

    Ben Guest

    > >> Wut? Can you expand on that. What do you actually want? Web server?
    > >> What do you mean by "managed"?
    > >>
    > >> Cheers,
    > >>
    > >> Cliff
    > >> --

    > >Sorry, thought it was a commonly used term. I meant a dedicated server

    that
    > >the host 'manages', i.e, keeps the OS, Control Panel & Apache updated

    with
    > >patches, takes care of the any hardware issues, etc.
    > >

    > Well, technically, a "host" is a server or workstation and the
    > "hostname" is "macfly", or "odin" or "ws000345" or whatever you decide
    > to name it. A server's hostname might be "www".
    >
    > So I assume that you are talking about a hosting service, and more
    > specifically one that does web hosting. You don't mention the OS,
    > which is OK if all you have is static pages. You don't mention what
    > access you might need, eg shell, ftp, FrontPage, so it's a little
    > difficult to suggest someone. You don't mention how many pages,
    > either.
    >
    > These are the sorts of details you should be putting to the hosting
    > providers that you contact. I hope it is of some help.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff
    > --

    Yes, I meant a hosting service that does web hosting.
    OS needs to be Windows 2000 Pro.
    Need FTP access.
    Preferably to host some static sites too.
    To be used for remote backups of data, not a hot standby.
    Minimum 10GB a month.
    Minimum 40GB hard drive.
    Located in a secure data centre.

    Ben