Man, you just gotta LOVE CA's tech support people <rant>

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by -= Hawk =-, Dec 1, 2003.

  1. -= Hawk =-

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    [Begin Rant]

    A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
    eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'. Waited a while. Got a 'query
    error'. Several hours later, got that old 'query error'. Went to their
    web site, "asked sammy" (what a moronic support tool). The only
    entry for 'query error' clearly stated it did NOT apply to current
    versions (and it doesn't) of the software. Looked around some
    more, no solution. Leapt through hoops to submit a request for
    support. Clearly stated "The only entry in your database for 'query
    error' does NOT apply to my version of the software only older
    versions". Hours pass, the problem (which was at their end!)
    clears up on it own. Hours pass, I get a reply that says I've
    gotten a reply. Yes, you read that right, instead of sending
    me an email WITH my reply they send you an email so you can
    go GET your reply. So I head back to their web page and
    read my reply. You've probably guess what happens here but
    I might as well say it. Their response was link to the document
    that I had already referenced as NOT applying to my version
    of their software. The tech had, at that time, closed the
    support ticket as well. I submit a request to reopen the ticket.
    I point out that their web support, the one that I already read,
    the one I told them I already read, the one they said answered
    my question (it didn't) did NOT apply to my version and since
    they asked me what version I was using when I jumped through
    their hoops to ask for support could they please supply me with
    an answer that's actually right. The tech at that time closed the
    support ticket without a response. Days pass, I said "That's
    just not right, I paid MONEY for their software and support
    even after they lied to all the users of the free version of their
    virus scanner." [Anyone else remember that whole MONTH
    between "We will continue to support the free version of
    the software for as long as people use it" and "Give us
    money, fuckers."?] So I politely detailed what had happened
    and sent an email off to CA (after digging their email address
    out of the help files). Days pass. I got a reply this morning.
    Ya know what this one said? "Download the latest version
    of our software to solve your 'query error' problem." (that's
    the problem that cleared itself up days ago mind you) and
    completely ignoring the fact that the email wasn't about
    my problem (which no longer existed) but was with their
    tech support people not actually READING the questions
    before they answer them. Isn't irony wonderful?

    [ok, enough ranting for now]

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Dec 1, 2003

  2. -= Hawk =-

    TRADESMAN Guest

    -= Hawk =- wrote:
    > [Begin Rant]
    >
    > A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
    > eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'. Waited a while. Got a 'query
    > error'. Several hours later, got that old 'query error'. Went to their
    > web site, "asked sammy" (what a moronic support tool). The only
    > entry for 'query error' clearly stated it did NOT apply to current
    > versions (and it doesn't) of the software. Looked around some
    > more, no solution. Leapt through hoops to submit a request for
    > support. Clearly stated "The only entry in your database for 'query
    > error' does NOT apply to my version of the software only older
    > versions". Hours pass, the problem (which was at their end!)
    > clears up on it own. Hours pass, I get a reply that says I've
    > gotten a reply. Yes, you read that right, instead of sending
    > me an email WITH my reply they send you an email so you can
    > go GET your reply. So I head back to their web page and
    > read my reply. You've probably guess what happens here but
    > I might as well say it. Their response was link to the document
    > that I had already referenced as NOT applying to my version
    > of their software. The tech had, at that time, closed the
    > support ticket as well. I submit a request to reopen the ticket.
    > I point out that their web support, the one that I already read,
    > the one I told them I already read, the one they said answered
    > my question (it didn't) did NOT apply to my version and since
    > they asked me what version I was using when I jumped through
    > their hoops to ask for support could they please supply me with
    > an answer that's actually right. The tech at that time closed the
    > support ticket without a response. Days pass, I said "That's
    > just not right, I paid MONEY for their software and support
    > even after they lied to all the users of the free version of their
    > virus scanner." [Anyone else remember that whole MONTH
    > between "We will continue to support the free version of
    > the software for as long as people use it" and "Give us
    > money, fuckers."?] So I politely detailed what had happened
    > and sent an email off to CA (after digging their email address
    > out of the help files). Days pass. I got a reply this morning.
    > Ya know what this one said? "Download the latest version
    > of our software to solve your 'query error' problem." (that's
    > the problem that cleared itself up days ago mind you) and
    > completely ignoring the fact that the email wasn't about
    > my problem (which no longer existed) but was with their
    > tech support people not actually READING the questions
    > before they answer them. Isn't irony wonderful?
    >
    > [ok, enough ranting for now]

    Had very similar problems to you. Luckily it was with the 30 day trial offer
    and I certainly didn't go on to to the paid version.
    Sammy is a perfect case for euthanasia!!

    TRADESMAN, Dec 1, 2003

  3. -= Hawk =-

    Boomer Guest

    -= Hawk =- <> wrote in

    > [Begin Rant]
    >
    > A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for
    > their eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'. Waited a while. Got a
    > 'query error'. Several hours later, got that old 'query error'.
    > Went to their web site, "asked sammy" (what a moronic support
    > tool). The only entry for 'query error' clearly stated it did NOT
    > apply to current versions (and it doesn't) of the software. Looked
    > around some more, no solution. Leapt through hoops to submit a
    > request for support. Clearly stated "The only entry in your
    > database for 'query error' does NOT apply to my version of the
    > software only older versions". Hours pass, the problem (which was
    > at their end!) clears up on it own. Hours pass, I get a reply that
    > says I've gotten a reply. Yes, you read that right, instead of
    > sending me an email WITH my reply they send you an email so you
    > can go GET your reply. So I head back to their web page and
    > read my reply. You've probably guess what happens here but
    > I might as well say it. Their response was link to the document
    > that I had already referenced as NOT applying to my version
    > of their software. The tech had, at that time, closed the
    > support ticket as well. I submit a request to reopen the ticket.
    > I point out that their web support, the one that I already read,
    > the one I told them I already read, the one they said answered
    > my question (it didn't) did NOT apply to my version and since
    > they asked me what version I was using when I jumped through
    > their hoops to ask for support could they please supply me with
    > an answer that's actually right. The tech at that time closed the
    > support ticket without a response. Days pass, I said "That's
    > just not right, I paid MONEY for their software and support
    > even after they lied to all the users of the free version of their
    > virus scanner." [Anyone else remember that whole MONTH
    > between "We will continue to support the free version of
    > the software for as long as people use it" and "Give us
    > money, fuckers."?] So I politely detailed what had happened
    > and sent an email off to CA (after digging their email address
    > out of the help files). Days pass. I got a reply this morning.
    > Ya know what this one said? "Download the latest version
    > of our software to solve your 'query error' problem." (that's
    > the problem that cleared itself up days ago mind you) and
    > completely ignoring the fact that the email wasn't about
    > my problem (which no longer existed) but was with their
    > tech support people not actually READING the questions
    > before they answer them. Isn't irony wonderful?
    >
    > [ok, enough ranting for now]

    I'd be ranting too! I hate those canned replies especially when they
    lead you around in circles!

    Good luck with CA!

    Boomer, Dec 1, 2003
  4. -= Hawk =-

    Paul - xxx Guest

    -= Hawk =- posted ...

    > [Begin Rant]
    >
    > A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
    > eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'.

    > [ok, enough ranting for now]

    I kept getting that error for a short while, cleared up, came back, then it
    decided I wasn't actually subscribed to EZ AV anymore so stopped me getting
    downloads altogether. (I _was_ still well, about a month, within the years
    subscription).

    As with your problem the on-site help wasn't help at all, just an annoyance.

    I now use on-line, AVG and am actively trying other AV programs ...

    It annoys me muchly, especially as EZ AV was one I hyped and recommended any
    time I needed to.

    --
    Digweed
    .... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Dec 1, 2003
  5. -= Hawk =-

    -= Hawk =- Guest

    On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:29:04 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
    <> scribbled:

    >-= Hawk =- posted ...
    >
    >> [Begin Rant]
    >>
    >> A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for their
    >> eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'.

    >> [ok, enough ranting for now]

    >I kept getting that error for a short while, cleared up, came back, then it
    >decided I wasn't actually subscribed to EZ AV anymore so stopped me getting
    >downloads altogether. (I _was_ still well, about a month, within the years
    >subscription).

    Ouch, you've got better reasons to be mad than me even :)

    >As with your problem the on-site help wasn't help at all, just an annoyance.
    >
    >I now use on-line, AVG and am actively trying other AV programs ...
    >
    >It annoys me muchly, especially as EZ AV was one I hyped and recommended any
    >time I needed to.

    I really like the program it's got a really small footprint, it's
    completely non-intrusive but their support totally blows.

    Riddles II, v3
    - T. Pratchett

    -= Hawk =-, Dec 1, 2003
  6. -= Hawk =-

    Paul - xxx Guest

    -= Hawk =- posted ...

    > On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 18:29:04 -0000, "Paul - xxx"
    > <> scribbled:
    >
    >> -= Hawk =- posted ...
    >>
    >>> [Begin Rant]
    >>>
    >>> A week or more ago I decided to download the latest dat file for
    >>> their eTrust Antivirus. Got a 'query error'.

    >>> [ok, enough ranting for now]

    >> I kept getting that error for a short while, cleared up, came back,
    >> then it decided I wasn't actually subscribed to EZ AV anymore so
    >> stopped me getting downloads altogether. (I _was_ still well, about
    >> a month, within the years subscription).

    > Ouch, you've got better reasons to be mad than me even :)
    >
    >> As with your problem the on-site help wasn't help at all, just an
    >> annoyance.
    >>
    >> I now use on-line, AVG and am actively trying other AV programs ...
    >>
    >> It annoys me muchly, especially as EZ AV was one I hyped and
    >> recommended any time I needed to.

    > I really like the program it's got a really small footprint, it's
    > completely non-intrusive

    Agreed, awesome for it's size .. ;)

    > but their support totally blows.

    Agreed, awesomely sucks ...

    Must admit, after looking round, I reckon the odd uninstall and
    re-installation of EZ AV is still probably the best bet overall. Screw the
    poor support, the program's still most excellent, though I _am_ still
    looking ... ;(

    --
    Digweed
    .... ;)

    Paul - xxx, Dec 1, 2003
  7. -= Hawk =- Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <t0gmsvocjvij36h9s2njuagr9d5132if2h@news-server>:

    > [Begin Rant]

    <good rant snipped>
    > [ok, enough ranting for now]

    I had similar problems with their Arcserve v9 line. When we
    purchased the software it said it was compatible with a certain model
    backup/magazine/loader drive.

    Guess what? It wasn't last April, but I found that out after working
    with the tech on the phone for 2 days. He said it would be fixed with
    SP2 for this. (Software was out 3 weeks and they released sp1, BTW)

    Guess what II? It STILL isn't compatible!

    Oh, btw? Their helpdesk is outsourced to Calcutta India, I think the
    tech said...

    NOI

    Thund3rstruck, Dec 2, 2003