man sentenced to jail for distributing legal dvd's legally. DVD's are ruled illegal.

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Waterperson77, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. A man who legally purchased a bunch of legal rap music dvd's and distributed
    them free to people ( he already paid for all of them himself) by leaaving the
    dvd's on peoples' cars in order to help them apprecciate rap music more has
    been sentenced to jail for terrorism because of the lyrics contained on the
    dvd's.

    The police (and the courts) said that the dvd's are illegal since they contain
    references to suicide, shooting people, sex, and drugs. Since anyone
    distributing dvd's with those lyrics are promoting suicide and shooting of
    people and therefore are a terrorist (according to police and the courts).

    The courts agreed with the police and sentenced the man to jail for it. (These
    were NOT pirate dvd's. They were legally purchased at a regular store).

    The man argued that he was just trying to help people appreciatte music more
    and that rap music often contains that type of lyrics.

    Well, that excuse didn't hold up incourt, as he was still sentenced to jail for
    it.

    What I want to know is if these dvd's are illegal as police and the courts say
    they are and anyone distributing them is a terrorist and committing a crime as
    the police and courts say they are, then why aren't the police and courts going
    after the manufactureres of these rap music dvd's?

    Why are they going only after the little guy, and not going after the
    manufacturers and music studios prodcing them, and the singers singing them?
    Since those people are all also promoting the songs and dvd's by manufacturing
    them and making them available for purchase in retail stores in the first
    place.

    Why are the manufacturers and music studios and bands getting off scott-free
    for doing what the police and courts have ruled is a terrorist crime?

    while arresting the little guy for the exact same thing?

    That happened in Ashtabula, Ohio.

    It makes me think twice now about selling my "Firefly" dvd set to anyone or
    even giving it away free, since there's numerous scenes in there that the
    judges have already ruled illegal (such as shooting people and certain other
    sings).

    And I really wanted to get rid of my "Firefly" dvd set, also, since I don't
    really like the show.

    And it also makes me think twice now about getting rid of any of my other dvd
    sets (except for certain old tv shows and old movies which don't contain scenes
    that have been ruled illegal).

    Waterperson77, Mar 6, 2004

  2. This story was aired on WJW-TV 8.

    Waterperson77, Mar 7, 2004

  3. by the way, the man's last name who they sentenced to jail for this is
    "beebee". I might have spelled his last name wrong, but that is definitely how
    it's pronounced (as in BB gun".

    I wonder if now the police and courts will up the charges on him and sentence
    to even more time because his last name is pronounced "bee bee" which promotes
    BB guns which promotes shooting guns which promotes shooting guns at people
    which the police and courts already said lyrics containing that kind of stuff
    is illegal terrorism.

    Waterperson77, Mar 7, 2004
  4. Waterperson77 wrote:
    > A man who legally purchased a bunch of legal rap music dvd's and
    > distributed them free to people ( he already paid for all of them
    > himself) by leaaving the dvd's on peoples' cars in order to help them
    > apprecciate rap music more has been sentenced to jail for terrorism
    > because of the lyrics contained on the dvd's.
    >
    > The police (and the courts) said that the dvd's are illegal since
    > they contain references to suicide, shooting people, sex, and drugs.
    > Since anyone distributing dvd's with those lyrics are promoting
    > suicide and shooting of people and therefore are a terrorist
    > (according to police and the courts).

    No, he would be jailed for piracy.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian Demolition Man Little, Mar 7, 2004
  5. Waterperson77

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:53:21 -0500, Waterperson77 wrote
    (in message <>):

    > What I want to know is if these dvd's are illegal why are they going
    > only after the little guy, and not going after the
    > manufacturers and music studios and the singers?
    >
    > That happened in Ashtabula, Ohio.

    You just answered your own question.

    We have a saying about Ohio -- "Arrive on vacation, leave on probation."

    The third reich is alive and well in Ohia, especially up North. Anyone can be
    arrested at any time. If they can't find a reason, they'll make one up.
    Illegal searches, fourth ammendment violations, stopping without probable
    cause... it's all fair game in Ohio.

    You might want to plan on driving *around* that particular state for your
    next roadtrip.

    Cernovog, Mar 7, 2004
  6. Waterperson77

    Rich Clark Guest

    > This story was aired on WJW-TV 8.

    And yet no search of the Web on any combination of Ashtabula, rap, DVD
    produced any reference to this story, even on WJW's own site.

    Why are we not surprised?

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Mar 7, 2004
  7. Waterperson77

    DarkMatter Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:35:31 -0500, Cernovog <> Gave
    us:

    >On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:53:21 -0500, Waterperson77 wrote
    >(in message <>):
    >
    >> What I want to know is if these dvd's are illegal why are they going
    >> only after the little guy, and not going after the
    >> manufacturers and music studios and the singers?
    >>
    >> That happened in Ashtabula, Ohio.

    >You just answered your own question.
    >
    >We have a saying about Ohio -- "Arrive on vacation, leave on probation."
    >
    >The third reich is alive and well in Ohia, especially up North. Anyone can be
    >arrested at any time. If they can't find a reason, they'll make one up.
    >Illegal searches, fourth ammendment violations, stopping without probable
    >cause... it's all fair game in Ohio.
    >
    >You might want to plan on driving *around* that particular state for your
    >next roadtrip.

    Sorry to say it. I was born there, and he's right. Ohio cops
    forget their oath three minutes after taking it.

    They are better than the San Diego pigs that forget their oath three
    minutes after taking it AND they dump a clip in your ass for sneezing
    at the wrong time.

    DarkMatter, Mar 7, 2004
  8. >And yet no search of the Web on any combination of Ashtabula, rap, DVD
    >produced any reference to this story, even on WJW's own site.
    >
    >Why are we not surprised?

    Ity was only reported on the tv news just tonight.

    Give it time to show up on the web or their website, if it does.

    And even if it doesn't show up on the web, it was still reported on the tv news
    tonight.

    The tv station kept calling it a cd, but when they "played the cd", the print
    clearly read "dvd video"the entire timr that they were playing one of the music
    segments on it".

    And since tv stations don't use dvd's to broadcast (according to the people in
    this newsgroup), then it was clearly a "dvd video" disc (but without any
    pictures except for rhe part that said "dvd video"

    so I suggest loking on their site with the term "cd" instead of "dvd".

    Waterperson77, Mar 7, 2004
  9. I just looked at their website. The news stories arw only through Friday Marxch
    5.

    It was reported on the tv news tonight, Saturday.

    so give it time to maybe show up on the website.

    They are a tv station. Their primary purpose is getting ratings for their tv
    station, so of course it will show up on the tv news first before it shows uop
    in print on their website, if it shows up on their website at all.

    Waterperson77, Mar 7, 2004
  10. Waterperson77

    David Z Guest

    "Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:53:21 -0500, Waterperson77 wrote
    > (in message <>):
    >
    > > What I want to know is if these dvd's are illegal why are they going
    > > only after the little guy, and not going after the
    > > manufacturers and music studios and the singers?
    > >
    > > That happened in Ashtabula, Ohio.

    > You just answered your own question.
    >
    > We have a saying about Ohio -- "Arrive on vacation, leave on probation."
    >
    > The third reich is alive and well in Ohia, especially up North. Anyone can

    be
    > arrested at any time. If they can't find a reason, they'll make one up.
    > Illegal searches, fourth ammendment violations, stopping without probable
    > cause... it's all fair game in Ohio.

    Um, you're complaining about this? Here in Australia the police can pull
    you over at any time, and they don't need a reason. Usually it is for
    things like random breath tests, etc.

    David Z, Mar 7, 2004
  11. Waterperson77

    Guest

    On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:25:08 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:

    >"Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:53:21 -0500, Waterperson77 wrote
    >> (in message <>):
    >>
    >> > What I want to know is if these dvd's are illegal why are they going
    >> > only after the little guy, and not going after the
    >> > manufacturers and music studios and the singers?
    >> >
    >> > That happened in Ashtabula, Ohio.

    >> You just answered your own question.
    >>
    >> We have a saying about Ohio -- "Arrive on vacation, leave on probation."
    >>
    >> The third reich is alive and well in Ohia, especially up North. Anyone can

    >be
    >> arrested at any time. If they can't find a reason, they'll make one up.
    >> Illegal searches, fourth ammendment violations, stopping without probable
    >> cause... it's all fair game in Ohio.

    >Um, you're complaining about this? Here in Australia the police can pull
    >you over at any time, and they don't need a reason. Usually it is for
    >things like random breath tests, etc.

    If you are not breathing can they ticket you?

    , Mar 7, 2004
  12. Waterperson77

    Justin Guest

    wrote on [Sat, 06 Mar 2004 22:32:16 -0500]:
    > On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 03:25:08 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Cernovog" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 18:53:21 -0500, Waterperson77 wrote
    >>> (in message <>):

    >>> You just answered your own question.
    >>>
    >>> We have a saying about Ohio -- "Arrive on vacation, leave on probation."
    >>>
    >>> The third reich is alive and well in Ohia, especially up North. Anyone can

    >>be
    >>> arrested at any time. If they can't find a reason, they'll make one up.
    >>> Illegal searches, fourth ammendment violations, stopping without probable
    >>> cause... it's all fair game in Ohio.

    >>Um, you're complaining about this? Here in Australia the police can pull
    >>you over at any time, and they don't need a reason. Usually it is for
    >>things like random breath tests, etc.
    >>

    > If you are not breathing can they ticket you?

    depends how you stopped.

    Justin, Mar 7, 2004
  13. Waterperson77

    Cernovog Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 22:25:08 -0500, David Z wrote
    (in message <oCw2c.90960$>):

    > Um, you're complaining about this? Here in Australia the police can pull
    > you over at any time, and they don't need a reason.

    The the Australian police aren't breaking the law. The Ohio cops are.

    For better or worse, American laws are clearly different. Cops can't just
    pull someone over or go into someone's house. They either need a warrant or
    probable cause. They need a reason.

    Cernovog, Mar 7, 2004
  14. Waterperson77

    You Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:24:27 -0600, "Brian Demolition Man Little"
    <> wrote:

    >No, he would be jailed for piracy.

    How could it be piracy? All he did was buy discs and give them to
    people.

    You, Mar 7, 2004
  15. Waterperson77

    Richard C. Guest

    "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Waterperson77" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > This story was aired on WJW-TV 8.
    :
    : And yet no search of the Web on any combination of Ashtabula, rap, DVD
    : produced any reference to this story, even on WJW's own site.
    :
    : Why are we not surprised?
    :
    : RichC
    :
    ================
    But it DID show that Beebee is a big name in the area.
    ================

    Richard C., Mar 7, 2004
  16. You wrote:
    > On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 19:24:27 -0600, "Brian Demolition Man Little"
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >> No, he would be jailed for piracy.

    > How could it be piracy? All he did was buy discs and give them to
    > people.

    Oh... I couldn't tell half of what waterbrain was talking about
    and thought he was refering to someone who bought one disc,
    copied it, then started to give them out.

    --
    Brian "Demolition Man" Little

    Brian Demolition Man Little, Mar 7, 2004
  17. Waterperson77

    Rich Clark Guest

    > A man who legally purchased a bunch of legal rap music dvd's and

    distributed
    > them free to people ( he already paid for all of them himself) by leaaving

    the
    > dvd's on peoples' cars in order to help them apprecciate rap music more

    has
    > been sentenced to jail for terrorism because of the lyrics contained on

    the
    > dvd's.

    You have (wow, what a surprise) completely misunderstood the actual facts of
    the story.

    These were home-made CD's containing Kevin Beebe's own music. The problem
    arose because the lyrics contained lyrics that could be interpreted as
    threats to specific, real individuals who were mentioned by name in the
    songs -- people like the local police chief and the principal of the school
    where Beebe is a student.

    Using a decent news search engine (try alltheweb.com for starters) and
    searching on "kevin beebe" should garner all the actual facts you need.

    In short, this news story, while interesting, has nothing to do with DVDs or
    with any of the whacko issues you've tried to spin from it.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Mar 7, 2004
  18. Waterperson77

    Impmon Guest

    On 06 Mar 2004 23:53:21 GMT,
    (Waterperson77) wrote:

    >It makes me think twice now about selling my "Firefly" dvd set to anyone or
    >even giving it away free, since there's numerous scenes in there that the
    >judges have already ruled illegal (such as shooting people and certain other
    >sings).

    Or what about Die Hard? There's lots of shooting, murders, killing,
    planes being blown up, building destroyed, etc.

    That guy should hire a different lawyer and have the lawyer show a
    report of how many times certains scenes appeared in some violent
    movies. The entire Die Hard trilogy probably has more murders than
    what the hijacker did on 9-11 and ask the court how is selling the
    movie "promoting" murder and terrorism in Walmart any different from
    what that little guy did.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, Mar 7, 2004