    things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or Christchurch. I'll go
    to lounge where the AC is on.

    Any cool advice would be appreciated
    nof, Feb 13, 2011

  2. nof

    Dave Taylor Guest

    nof <> wrote in news:54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
    @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com:

    > I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
    > drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to fix
    > it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet MWS is
    > still there on c\program(86)

    That type of program is not a virus and will not be found.
    Use Spybot Search and Destroy.
    or something similar.
    http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Malware_Help.htm

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 13, 2011

  3. nof

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-02-13, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    > nof <> wrote in news:54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
    > @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
    >> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to fix
    >> it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet MWS is
    >> still there on c\program(86)

    > That type of program is not a virus and will not be found.
    > Use Spybot Search and Destroy.
    > or something similar.
    > http://lists.thedatalist.com/pages/Malware_Help.htm

    Malwarebytes
    Gordon, Feb 13, 2011
  4. nof

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
    @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , nof says...

    > I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
    > drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to fix
    > it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet MWS is
    > still there on c\program(86) . MWS is not one of the 21 files on c
    > \program files! What does it all mean? It is over 30C in Paraparaumu
    > at 7pm maybe that is making it worse? Does it matter that MWS is
    > migrating? I don't like having it foisted on me but there are worse
    > things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or Christchurch. I'll go
    > to lounge where the AC is on.

    Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before? :)

    And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an IE
    addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs (tab),
    Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL other addons
    that just don't look like they should be there - and if you are not
    sure, disable anyway.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 14, 2011
  5. nof

    Enkidu Guest

    On 14/02/11 17:14, Dave Doe wrote:
    > In article<54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
    > @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , nof says...
    >>
    >> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
    >> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to
    >> fix it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet
    >> MWS is still there on c\program(86) . MWS is not one of the 21
    >> files on c \program files! What does it all mean? It is over 30C in
    >> Paraparaumu at 7pm maybe that is making it worse? Does it matter
    >> that MWS is migrating? I don't like having it foisted on me but
    >> there are worse things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or
    >> Christchurch. I'll go to lounge where the AC is on.

    > Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before? :)
    >
    > And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an
    > IE addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs
    > (tab), Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL
    > other addons that just don't look like they should be there - and if
    > you are not sure, disable anyway.

    Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    The end excuses any evil - Sophocles
    Enkidu, Feb 14, 2011
  6. nof

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <4d58d3a0$>, ,
    Enkidu says...

    > On 14/02/11 17:14, Dave Doe wrote:
    > > In article<54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
    > > @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , nof says...
    > >>
    > >> I have unwisely fallen for mywebsearch (MWS)and now have it on 3
    > >> drives. I'm told it is malware and I cannot get the "right" prg to
    > >> fix it. Norton, and AVG free both come up with clean reports yet
    > >> MWS is still there on c\program(86) . MWS is not one of the 21
    > >> files on c \program files! What does it all mean? It is over 30C in
    > >> Paraparaumu at 7pm maybe that is making it worse? Does it matter
    > >> that MWS is migrating? I don't like having it foisted on me but
    > >> there are worse things happening in Cairo or Port au Prince or
    > >> Christchurch. I'll go to lounge where the AC is on.

    > > Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before? :)
    > >
    > > And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an
    > > IE addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs
    > > (tab), Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL
    > > other addons that just don't look like they should be there - and if
    > > you are not sure, disable anyway.
    > >

    > Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

    Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
    it lotsa times.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 14, 2011
  7. nof

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4d58d3a0$>, ,
    > Enkidu says...
    >>
    >> On 14/02/11 17:14, Dave Doe wrote:
    >> > In article<54cef1a2-e71e-42a3-bbd5-1c88891fdbd7
    >> > @o7g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, , nof says...

    >> > Malwarebytes will get rid of that (haven't we been here before? :)
    >> >
    >> > And I think it installs - or more correctly *you* installed it, as an
    >> > IE addon. So look in Control Panel, Internet Options, Programs
    >> > (tab), Manage addons (button). While you are there, disable ALL
    >> > other addons that just don't look like they should be there - and if
    >> > you are not sure, disable anyway.
    >> >

    >> Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

    > Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
    > it lotsa times.

    Simple to remove
    Craig Sutton, Feb 14, 2011
  8. nof

    Enkidu Guest

    On 15/02/11 04:19, Craig Sutton wrote:

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <4d58d3a0$>, ,

    >>> Even with Malwarebytes that is a hard one to remove.

    >> Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
    >> it lotsa times.

    > Simple to remove

    You were lucky.

    Enkidu, Feb 14, 2011
  9. nof

    PeeCee Guest

    On 15/02/2011 9:39 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
    > On 15/02/11 04:19, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>
    >> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>> In article <4d58d3a0$>, ,
    >>> Enkidu says...

    >>> Never had a problem removing it. Malwarebytes, scan, reboot, done. Done
    >>> it lotsa times.

    >> Simple to remove
    >>

    > You were lucky.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Haven't found MyWebSearch a problem to remove.

    Add/Remove programs aka Progams and Features gets the bulk of it.
    A follow up with the usual tools (Spybot, Malwarebytes, HiJack...) to
    catch any registry entiries.

    This page http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml gives a good
    overview on its characteristics.
    Also shows how to remove MyWebSearch and it's cousins.

    If you want something that 'is' difficult to remove look to the 'Fake
    Security Alert' malware that's floating around.
    Very easy to get, hard to remove unless you know it's foibles and where
    it is liable to secrete itself.

    Best
    Paul.
    PeeCee, Feb 14, 2011
  10. nof

    Enkidu Guest

    On 15/02/11 10:26, PeeCee wrote:
    > On 15/02/2011 9:39 a.m., Enkidu wrote:
    >> On 15/02/11 04:19, Craig Sutton wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message

    >>> Simple to remove
    >>>

    >> You were lucky.

    > Haven't found MyWebSearch a problem to remove.
    >
    > Add/Remove programs aka Progams and Features gets the bulk of it.
    > A follow up with the usual tools (Spybot, Malwarebytes, HiJack...) to
    > catch any registry entiries.
    >
    > This page http://www.pchell.com/support/mywebsearch.shtml gives a good
    > overview on its characteristics.
    > Also shows how to remove MyWebSearch and it's cousins.
    >
    > If you want something that 'is' difficult to remove look to the 'Fake
    > Security Alert' malware that's floating around.
    > Very easy to get, hard to remove unless you know it's foibles and where
    > it is liable to secrete itself.

    Actually I might have been thinking of that one. I can't keep up with
    the Malware my son gets on his computer.

    Enkidu, Feb 15, 2011
  11. nof

    Jonno Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 15/02/11 10:26, PeeCee wrote:

    >> If you want something that 'is' difficult to remove look to the 'Fake
    >> Security Alert' malware that's floating around.
    >> Very easy to get, hard to remove unless you know it's foibles and where
    >> it is liable to secrete itself.
    >>

    > Actually I might have been thinking of that one. I can't keep up with the
    > Malware my son gets on his computer.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    You will find most of the 'Fake Security Alert' removal instructions on the
    Bleeping Computer site
    <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/>
    There are dozens of the bloody things so you may have to scroll through the
    previous ones to find the one you have.
    Then click on it to get the full removal instructions including the Reg
    changes it has made

    Jonno
    Jonno, Feb 15, 2011
  12. nof

    Enkidu Guest

    On 15/02/11 21:14, Jonno wrote:
    > "Enkidu"<> wrote in message
    >>> If you want something that 'is' difficult to remove look to the
    >>> 'Fake Security Alert' malware that's floating around. Very easy
    >>> to get, hard to remove unless you know it's foibles and where it
    >>> is liable to secrete itself.
    >>>

    >> Actually I might have been thinking of that one. I can't keep up
    >> with the Malware my son gets on his computer.

    > You will find most of the 'Fake Security Alert' removal instructions
    > on the Bleeping Computer site
    > <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/> There are dozens of
    > the bloody things so you may have to scroll through the previous ones
    > to find the one you have. Then click on it to get the full removal
    > instructions including the Reg changes it has made

    I don't have one. I use Linux. My son has the Malware and viruses.

    Enkidu, Feb 15, 2011
  13. On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 22:27:49 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:

    >On 15/02/11 21:14, Jonno wrote:
    >> "Enkidu"<> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> Actually I might have been thinking of that one. I can't keep up
    >>> with the Malware my son gets on his computer.

    >> You will find most of the 'Fake Security Alert' removal instructions
    >> on the Bleeping Computer site
    >> <http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/> There are dozens of
    >> the bloody things so you may have to scroll through the previous ones
    >> to find the one you have. Then click on it to get the full removal
    >> instructions including the Reg changes it has made
    >>

    >I don't have one. I use Linux. My son has the Malware and viruses.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Cliff

    Stick Avast on it, to me its good.
    William Brown, Feb 15, 2011
  14. nof

    Dave Taylor Guest

    William Brown <> wrote in

    > Stick Avast on it, to me its good.

    Agreed. They have a beta with sandboxing now.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 17, 2011