Malware for Overnet software?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Scivener, May 2, 2004.

  1. Scivener

    Scivener Guest

    I installed Overnet 0.53 and then I installed a crack. Yes, I
    know, I am a bad boy, it all serves me right!

    Since then I have removed the crack because I discivered that the
    free version of Overnet only has some adverts (which I can live
    with).

    I am concerned that the crack may have been malware and may have
    messed things up on my system. I got the crack from eDonkey
    Overnet section on this page http://www.cracks.am/cracks/e3.html.
    It was a DLL called adremover.dll (17 KB or 17,408 bytes) which I
    put into Overnet's Plugins folder. I got it from that web page
    using the entries for either:

    "CRACK.CD-eDonkey_v0.53_-Overnet_v0.53_Registration_Patch.zip"
    "eDonkey_v0.53_-_Overnet_v0.53.zip"

    Does anyone know if this DLL is malware?

    I took the file out but I am not sure if the Overnet ads are back
    or not. All I can see on the Overnet screen is a border about one
    inch high across the top with light gray lettering on a blue
    background. Is this the annoying advert which people are referring
    to? Or should there be more ads? If so then has this
    'adremover.dll' messed things up permenantly?
    Scivener, May 2, 2004

  2. Scivener

    Guest

    On Sun, 02 May 2004 12:58:37 GMT, Scivener <> wrote:

    > "CRACK.CD-eDonkey_v0.53_-Overnet_v0.53_Registration_Patch.zip"
    > "eDonkey_v0.53_-_Overnet_v0.53.zip"
    >
    >Does anyone know if this DLL is malware?

    What does a scan by several good av scanners tell you?

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg
    , May 2, 2004

  3. Scivener

    Darkhorse Guest

    "Scivener" <> wrote in message
    > I installed Overnet 0.53 and then I installed a crack. Yes, I
    > know, I am a bad boy, it all serves me right!
    >
    > Since then I have removed the crack because I discivered that the
    > free version of Overnet only has some adverts (which I can live
    > with).
    >
    > I am concerned that the crack may have been malware and may have
    > messed things up on my system.

    The myth that most cracks/patches are malware is false, some are but most are
    not (unless you download them from Kazaa).

    As with any file downloaded, scan it with 2 or 3 good virus/trojan scanners.
    Darkhorse, May 2, 2004
  4. "Darkhorse" <> wrote in message

    > "Scivener" <> wrote in message
    > > I installed Overnet 0.53 and then I installed a crack. Yes, I
    > > know, I am a bad boy, it all serves me right!
    > >
    > > Since then I have removed the crack because I discivered that the
    > > free version of Overnet only has some adverts (which I can live
    > > with).
    > >
    > > I am concerned that the crack may have been malware and may have
    > > messed things up on my system.

    > The myth that most cracks/patches are malware is false, some are but most

    are
    > not (unless you download them from Kazaa).
    >
    > As with any file downloaded, scan it with 2 or 3 good virus/trojan

    scanners.

    You are really anti Kazaa aren't you. What's up? Did someone block you from
    using the programme because you shared rubbish?

    On average Kazaa works at least as well as any of the others, and doesn't
    grab so much processor time as many of the others.

    All sharing networks have their share of false files shared by idiots who do
    it in an attempt to stop file sharing. Kazaa has no more than any of the
    others. Kazaa does have more users that any of the others meaning you have a
    better chance of finding the rare file you want.

    For the above reasons I share using the Kazaa lite.

    A.W.
    news-text.dsl.pipex.com, May 6, 2004