Malignant advertisements and Scan disc won't work

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mike, Mar 5, 2005.

  1. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Hello all,

    My question is about this relentless pop in add that keeps popping in while
    web surfing, writing documents ect. Actually there are two versions one says
    my mailbox is overloaded with Spam and to click this link.

    The other says my computer may be infected with spyware and to click this
    link then the browser is directed to this page showing a list of spyware
    removal programs.

    http://uk.s13.tempx.cc/csas.php?sid=AMMgG7wBraoFAxGLmy8r57H15+Bk/qi/6K
    y%2BPr7dnC8aHA%3D%3D&pin=1&qq=spyware+removal&

    Since this problem started my scan disc and disc defragmenter stopped
    working.

    I have been attempting to remove/locate the malignant files causing this
    problem by running lavasoft ad aware scans. Then just when I think ad aware
    has done its job and the malignant files have been quarantined and erased
    they again mysteriously reappear. (home old sp) (sp)

    Is there any way to cure this?

    TIA
    Mike, Mar 5, 2005

  2. Mike

    Ionizer Guest

    "Mike" <> wrote in message

    > Hello all,
    >
    > My question is about this relentless pop in add that keeps popping in
    > while
    > web surfing, writing documents ect. Actually there are two versions one
    > says
    > my mailbox is overloaded with Spam and to click this link.
    >
    > The other says my computer may be infected with spyware and to click
    > this
    > link then the browser is directed to this page showing a list of spyware
    > removal programs.
    >
    > http://uk.s13.tempx.cc/csas.php?sid=AMMgG7wBraoFAxGLmy8r57H15+Bk/qi/6K
    > y%2BPr7dnC8aHA%3D%3D&pin=1&qq=spyware+removal&
    >
    > Since this problem started my scan disc and disc defragmenter stopped
    > working.
    >
    > I have been attempting to remove/locate the malignant files causing this
    > problem by running lavasoft ad aware scans. Then just when I think ad
    > aware
    > has done its job and the malignant files have been quarantined and
    > erased
    > they again mysteriously reappear. (home old sp) (sp)
    >
    > Is there any way to cure this?

    If the messages look like the one on this page, disable Messenger Service
    and get a firewall: http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Mar 5, 2005

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    > If the messages look like the one on this page, disable Messenger Service
    > and get a firewall: http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    I am running windows 98SE and the instructions in the link say
    Windows Messenger Service cannot be disabled for windows 98

    and the scan disc won't work either any other suggestions .......?
    Mike, Mar 5, 2005
  4. Mike wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > My question is about this relentless pop in add that keeps popping in while
    > web surfing, writing documents ect. Actually there are two versions one says
    > my mailbox is overloaded with Spam and to click this link.
    >
    > The other says my computer may be infected with spyware and to click this
    > link then the browser is directed to this page showing a list of spyware
    > removal programs.
    >
    > http://uk.s13.tempx.cc/csas.php?sid=AMMgG7wBraoFAxGLmy8r57H15+Bk/qi/6K
    > y%2BPr7dnC8aHA%3D%3D&pin=1&qq=spyware+removal&
    >
    > Since this problem started my scan disc and disc defragmenter stopped
    > working.
    >
    > I have been attempting to remove/locate the malignant files causing this
    > problem by running lavasoft ad aware scans. Then just when I think ad aware
    > has done its job and the malignant files have been quarantined and erased
    > they again mysteriously reappear. (home old sp) (sp)
    >
    > Is there any way to cure this?
    >
    > TIA

    I'd give CWShredder a try, you may have Cool Web Search. Try it from
    safe mode (press F8 on startup to get to safe mode). Also run Spybot
    Search and Destroy, if no joy try the 30 day trial of Spy Sweeper. Run a
    good, updated antivirus scan and then try an online AV program such as
    Panda Activescan.

    Make sure ALL these programs have latest updates:

    CWShredder:

    Spybot Search and Destroy:

    Spy Sweeper Trial Version:
    http://www.webroot.com/downloads/

    Panda ActiveScan:
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 5, 2005
  5. Mike

    Guest

    On Sat, 05 Mar 2005 06:19:14 GMT, "Mike" <> wrote:

    |> > If the messages look like the one on this page, disable Messenger Service
    |> > and get a firewall: http://www.itc.virginia.edu/desktop/docs/messagepopup/
    |> >
    |> > Regards,
    |> > Ian.
    |> >

    |> I am running windows 98SE and the instructions in the link say
    |> Windows Messenger Service cannot be disabled for windows 98
    |>
    |> and the scan disc won't work either any other suggestions .......?

    http://www.spyany.com/program/article_turnoffmessenger.html
    Windows 98 & ME

    Under Control Panel, select Add/Remove.
    Select Windows Setup.
    Select System Tools.
    Click Details.
    Uncheck WinPopUp.
    Click OK.

    If you need to leave the service running, block port 135 in your
    firewall. Alternatively you can try Popup Terminator which automatically
    blocks those ports used by Messenger Service.

    --
    , Mar 5, 2005