making your own frames

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by william kossack, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. anyone make their own frames from scratch?

    I'm curious what equipment your using and how you're doing it.

    william kossack, Sep 14, 2006

  2. william kossack

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    william kossack <> wrote:

    > anyone make their own frames from scratch?
    >
    > I'm curious what equipment your using and how you're doing it.

    By frames, I assume you mean the surround and glass bit, not the
    internal card bit?

    Making the former requires patience and accuracy. Many artist's
    materials shops supply all you need - a jig to cut the 45 degree mitre,
    drills and chisels to join the pieces, a glass cutter - although perspex
    is much easier to work with. The MDF or hardboard backer and the small
    clips to hold the backer in place.

    The reason most people don't make frames from scratch is the initial
    outlay is high and there is inevitable wastage which increases costs.
    Also frame makers often carry a huge range of sizes and frames and
    getting them to make frames for you using metal, wood or plastic would
    eliminate the frustration of trying to learn it all from scratch.

    I generally print on A3 paper using a frame with a 41 x 30cm window -
    slightly different to A3 (29.7 x 42cm). There is a black card frame
    reducing this aperture by 32mm on each side - I can buy these from photo
    shops for around $10. Trying to make one myself would probably cost more
    than that. If I use non reflective glass, much more.

    If you're printing odd sizes ar simply want to display all your pictures
    in identical, but different sized, frames then making your own is a good
    choice.

    Stewy, Sep 15, 2006

  3. william kossack

    Alan Meyer Guest

    william kossack wrote:
    > anyone make their own frames from scratch?
    >
    > I'm curious what equipment your using and how you're doing it.

    I have made frames out of wooden moldings with a miter
    box and back saw to saw 45 degree angle cuts and a
    corner clamp to hold things together while the glue dried.

    It was a tedious process. Store bought frames turn out
    to be cheap enough that I don't bother with it any more.

    Alan

    Alan Meyer, Sep 15, 2006
  4. Alan Meyer wrote:
    > william kossack wrote:
    >> anyone make their own frames from scratch?
    >>
    >> I'm curious what equipment your using and how you're doing it.

    > I have made frames out of wooden moldings with a miter
    > box and back saw to saw 45 degree angle cuts and a
    > corner clamp to hold things together while the glue dried.
    >
    > It was a tedious process. Store bought frames turn out
    > to be cheap enough that I don't bother with it any more.

    I'm pretty much with Alan on that. I used to do same, but used a good
    quality chop saw unless the pieces were small.

    Even doweled a few corners. I haven't framed anything recently, and
    wonder what would be a style I could choose one of and live with?
    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 15, 2006
  5. william kossack wrote:
    > anyone make their own frames from scratch?
    >
    > I'm curious what equipment your using and how you're doing it.

    Depends on what you mean by scratch. Do you mean using premolded frame
    material and merely cutting to length and miter the ends? Or do you
    mean buying wood stock and rabbeting the wood for the glass and the
    print? The former only takes a miter saw and jig. The latter requires
    either a table saw or a router.

    If the later, a table saw will cut to length, miter, AND cut the
    rabbet. That is what I use, though I have an old router I seldom use.
    If you want a complex profile on the frame, however, you will need BOTH
    the router and the saw. I merely use either a rectangular profile or
    add a little bevel to edge of profile, so use just the saw.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Sep 15, 2006
  6. By scratch I mean buying lumber or molding stock and turning it into
    frames. The request is coming from my wife. She has watched the prices
    for frames go up to the point that even the sales at Hobby Lobby are
    much of a sale any more.

    I do woodworking as a hobby (along with photography) I have a cheap
    tablesaw and even a non powered miter saw. Neither seems to be able to
    cut good miters (or at least good enough for my liking). I've been
    looking at the Lion Miter trimmer as an option instead of buying an
    other power tool.

    william kossack, Sep 15, 2006
  7. Okay, get a sheet of material such as particle board or plywood about
    two feet square. Rip a couple of pieces of 3/4 by 3/4 rails (verify
    that the miter guage tracks on your saw are 3/4 inch). Glue them to
    bottom of the sheet, so you have a jig sheet that will slide past the
    blade tracked by the miter guage tracks. Now raise blade and make a
    cut in the jig Now carefully lay out a square corner, oriented at 45
    degrees to blade. Put in strips that allow you to clamp pieces of
    molding or frame stock to these rails, cut one end of piece on one side
    of blade, clamp to other side and cut other end. This will give you
    well mitered corners. Even if the layout is not exactly at 45 degrees,
    the corners made with such a jig will be at 90.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Sep 16, 2006
  8. william kossack

    JohnR66 Guest

    "william kossack" <> wrote in message
    > anyone make their own frames from scratch?
    >
    > I'm curious what equipment your using and how you're doing it.

    I cut my nolding on a power miter saw. Next I true up the miters on ITW-AMP
    miter sander. Next I glue and clamp in decent quality cast iron miter
    clamps. After 15-20 minutes, I V-nail the frames in my Inmes underpinner.
    John

    JohnR66, Sep 17, 2006
  9. william kossack

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <>,
    william kossack <> wrote:

    > anyone make their own frames from scratch?
    >
    > I'm curious what equipment your using and how you're doing it.

    My father makes his own frames. He isn't into photography, but he paints
    landscape scenes and he makes his own frames for his paintings. The
    equipment he uses is very simple: a mitre box, saw, pencil, and a
    t-square. You can buy frame-making tools at any art store or lumber
    store. Even Home Depot and mom & pop hardware stores should sell
    everything you need.

    Shawn Hirn, Sep 17, 2006