MAKING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM SECURE AFTER IT'S BEEN COMPROMISED

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Jene Keller, Nov 3, 2003.

  1. Jene Keller

    Jene Keller Guest

    Copyright 2003 by Debbie X. All rights Reserved. No part of this
    publication may be reproduced in any form or by any means, or stored
    in a data base or retrieval system, without prior written permission
    of the publisher. You may pass along this information, but give
    credit where credit is due.

    MAKING YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM SECURE AFTER IT'S BEEN COMPROMISED:

    I highly recommend keeping the hacked hard drive and purchasing a new
    one. Of course you could mirror the drive, but you still need a
    replacement drive to perform this task. You can't produce the same
    results by replicating files versus viewing the actual hard drive
    itself. If your system was used to attack and crash a Network, or
    System, you have proof for the FBI or any Law Enforcement Agency.
    This would show you were not involved in any illegal activities until
    you discovered your system was hacked.

    The proper method is to re-format your hard drive, and install from
    original CD-ROM. To safe guard against software manufacturer employee
    malicious activity always virus check your CD-ROM. Not too long ago,
    I decided to install X Software Application on a computer, media form
    was a CD-ROM. Immediately, Norton Anti-virus told me a suspicious
    file named "install.exe" was trying to load into my hard drive boot
    sector. We all know an application doesn't need to load in a boot
    sector of a drive. After telling the computer not to install this
    application, it still made it's way and changed the name of my hard
    drive. The computer access slowed down, while viewing directories the
    screen started to move back and forth.

    Virus check all floppy disks because hackers DO install a Backdoor,
    Trojan Horse, or Virus on disks. They enjoy doing this especially
    when you're online using your computer, with a floppy in the drive.
    My preference is to obtain a replacement CD-ROM if your software
    applications are on a floppy. What concerned me most is a Backdoor
    was planted in a .zip file and unopened. Norton's Anti-virus
    application couldn't detect it. Let's one day you come along and for
    no reason, you decide to open this .zip file, voila, the Backdoor is
    unleashed.

    There will always be evil code applications (to knock your system into
    becoming a victim) out in this world which anti-virus applications
    won't be able to catch. Either the Trojan Horse already installed on
    your system will eat the floppies alive, or hacker's will. Hackers
    will bind or disguise their applications and install them on your
    floppy disks. Many Trojan Horses "hide" all traces of their
    applications they run on your system. On your computer perform a
    search for a file named "backdoor.zip". I will warn you now, if you
    unleash this baby after a complete application install and go online,
    you will unleash many of the secrets to the "underground" hackers
    world.

    A number of Internet Service Providers allow free dial-up access with
    DSL and Cable connections. Note: Hackers are taking advantage of
    your canceled accounts even when they were closed. Until certain
    Internet Services Providers and Telecommunication Companies correct
    their major error; telecon your ISP and ask them to change your
    password since malicious hackers are abusing your canceled account,
    holding you liable.

    Disabling all unnecessary Window Services will assist in making your
    computer system secure. How to accomplish this task is presented
    under "Windows Services you might want to disable". If running any
    type of Server, update the latest application patches.

    Once you are able to view all Hidden Files and Folders, it would be
    smart to make a backup copy of your registry. To perform this, do the
    following:

    A. Select Start, Run, type in Regedit, and press enter.
    B. Then Select Registry, Export Registry File
    C. In the box, type a name like "3-21-02.txt"
    D. Select Save.

    You can open this file in any text editor. What you want to do first
    is check the bottom of the file. Hardware/Application/Device Driver
    information can be setup by hackers at the bottom of the file. What I
    did was "incorporate" one registry entry at a time. You could see a
    major difference. Each time you save the registry file it will create
    a file called RB000.CAB and so forth, depending on how many copies
    that you have saved. If you perform the backup when the hackers are
    abusing your system, you might only see 30 lines of text, the next
    time 100, and so on. This is a clear sign that your computer is
    compromised.

    Tracker
    I know how important it is for me not to define myself by how others
    perceive me.
    Jene Keller, Nov 3, 2003

  2. Jene Keller

    Ljudmilka Guest

    Ljudmilka, Nov 3, 2003

  3. Jene Keller

    Paul Overway Guest

    Please consult your physician and check your Haldol dosage.

    --
    Paul Overway
    Logico Solutions, LLC

    Paul Overway, Nov 3, 2003
  4. Jene Keller

    Chuck Guest

    GENERAL COMPUTER HEALTH WARNING

    Any advice from a poster using the identity 'Tracker' in the body of
    the post may contain dangerous nonsense, and should be immediately
    deleted or ignored.

    Please do *NOT* contact this person by newsgroup or email.

    Please do *NOT* feed the Trolls, one warning is enough, further
    messages only reinforce the desire for attention that provides
    motivation.

    For further information:
    http://www.sand-n-sea.us/debbiesdrival.htm

    Chuck
    I hate spam - PLEASE get rid of the spam before emailing me!
    Chuck, Nov 3, 2003
  5. Jene Keller

    BD Guest

    Thanks, jene