    Any clues would be appreciated.

    Itchy

    , Dec 21, 2004

  2. dylan Guest

    try Paint Shop Pro Animation Shop (part of PSP), not sure about the
    alignment bit though.

    dylan, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Pete D Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote in message
    > try Paint Shop Pro Animation Shop (part of PSP), not sure about the
    > alignment bit though.
    >
    > <> wrote in message
    >>I have a series of photos that were taken from roughly same place each
    >> day using a digital camera. I am looking for a way to stitch them
    >> together into a time-lapse movie. Can anyone recommend any software for
    >> doing this? Ideally the software would...
    >>
    >> (i) help me to get the photos aligned.
    >> (ii) convert them into an avi file
    >> Any clues would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Itchy

    Post in rec.video.desktop

    Pete D, Dec 21, 2004
  4. Jay Beckman Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have a series of photos that were taken from roughly same place each
    > day using a digital camera. I am looking for a way to stitch them
    > together into a time-lapse movie. Can anyone recommend any software for
    > doing this? Ideally the software would...
    >
    > (i) help me to get the photos aligned.
    > (ii) convert them into an avi file
    > Any clues would be appreciated.
    >
    > Itchy

    Adobe Premiere

    Jay Beckman, Dec 21, 2004
  5. dylan Guest

    I answered a question in here, thanks.

    dylan, Dec 21, 2004
  6. writes:

    > I have a series of photos that were taken from roughly same place each
    > day using a digital camera. I am looking for a way to stitch them
    > together into a time-lapse movie. Can anyone recommend any software for

    Another way to do it would be to save them as an animated GIF. Many of the
    'movies' you see on popup ads are animated gifs. (Some sites still have
    those little envelopes with a pen moving as an icon for email -- animated
    GIFs.)

    Phil Stripling, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Pete D Guest

    "dylan" <> wrote in message
    >I answered a question in here, thanks.

    Sorry, and your point to this post was??? Sure I should have answered him
    directly, sorry I missed, I am sure you will get over it in time. There is
    other software that will do what he wants and the guys over at
    rec.video.desktop will offer help just like you did here.

    Cheers and have a happy holiday season.

    Pete D, Dec 21, 2004
  8. dylan Guest

    Cheers, point taken.

    dylan, Dec 21, 2004
  9. Pete D Guest

    Personally I would use Media Studio Pro or Vegas Video but I doubt that he
    would want to spend that much.

    Pete D, Dec 21, 2004
  10. ed Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have a series of photos that were taken from roughly same place each
    > day using a digital camera. I am looking for a way to stitch them
    > together into a time-lapse movie. Can anyone recommend any software for
    > doing this? Ideally the software would...
    >
    > (i) help me to get the photos aligned.
    > (ii) convert them into an avi file
    > Any clues would be appreciated.
    >
    > Itchy

    Haha, here's another thing that Pro Show Gold rocks at!

    Drag all your photos into the pro show time-line. Set them all to 0.1
    seconds (or whatever frame rate you like) and click the Video button. POW!
    So easy.

    Remember guys, try setting a camera up on a tripod and then use the
    INTERVALOMETER to record a time lapse sequence. It's great fun

    ed, Dec 22, 2004
  11. angus Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a series of photos that were taken from roughly same place each
    > day using a digital camera. I am looking for a way to stitch them
    > together into a time-lapse movie. Can anyone recommend any software for
    > doing this? Ideally the software would...
    >
    > (i) help me to get the photos aligned.
    > (ii) convert them into an avi file
    > Any clues would be appreciated.
    >
    > Itchy

    If you want to build a time lapse animation viewable in a web browser I
    can recommend the free Animator-9 (http://www.vvcool.com/animator9/)
    It does amimated jpg as well as gif.

    Angus

    angus, Dec 22, 2004
  12. Jerry Guest

    wrote:

    > I have a series of photos that were taken from roughly same place each
    > day using a digital camera. I am looking for a way to stitch them
    > together into a time-lapse movie. Can anyone recommend any software for
    > doing this? Ideally the software would...
    >
    > (i) help me to get the photos aligned.
    > (ii) convert them into an avi file
    > Any clues would be appreciated.

    Cheap and easy.... Quicktime Pro

    Jerry

    Jerry, Dec 22, 2004
  13. Mark² Guest

    "ed" <> wrote in message
    > <> wrote in message
    > > I have a series of photos that were taken from roughly same place each
    > > day using a digital camera. I am looking for a way to stitch them
    > > together into a time-lapse movie. Can anyone recommend any software for
    > > doing this? Ideally the software would...
    > >
    > > (i) help me to get the photos aligned.
    > > (ii) convert them into an avi file
    > > Any clues would be appreciated.
    > >
    > > Itchy

    > Haha, here's another thing that Pro Show Gold rocks at!
    >
    > Drag all your photos into the pro show time-line. Set them all to 0.1
    > seconds (or whatever frame rate you like) and click the Video button.

    POW!
    > So easy.

    Wow!! I am so glad you mentioned that!!!!!!

    I've been doing stop-motion animation for years now, but have never found a
    very satysfactory method for creating a file I can easily share with people.

    If this works as well as you suggest...I'm going to be absolutely thrilled.

    I have small projects with up to 1200 images...so I hope this doesn't place
    too much strain on Pro Show Gold. I have always dumbed down (resized to
    small) my images when doing this in other programs or using other methods.
    I'll play with it some and report back here to those who may be interested.

    Thanks for pointing this out.
    -Mark

    Mark², Dec 22, 2004
  14. Guest

    Hi all,

    Thank you for your replies. I see that the following options have been
    recommended.

    * Adobe premiere
    * Animated gifs
    * Media studio pro and vegas video
    * Pro show gold
    * Free animator 9
    * Quicktime pro

    Before I download any of these, could anyone confirm which of them fit
    my two criteria - (i) assistance with alignment and (ii) converting
    into a video file (needn't be avi, come to think of it)?

    In particular, I'd like hints as to how to align the photos. Ideally
    the photos would have been taken in exactly the same place each day,
    but that wasn't an option. At the moment, the only way I can think of
    doing it is to do it manually using Photoshop layers.

    Thanks!

    Itchy

    , Dec 26, 2004
  15. paul Guest

    MS Moviemaker is free with WinXP (you will want to download the latest
    update) It's not all-powerful but pretty easy to use. It'll crash after
    a couple hundred or so frames. Easy to add sound track though.

    Probably photoshop layers are your best bet. I'd be curious if there is
    a better option. I've got some old hand held time lapse film I always
    intended to straighten out.

    I tried a series recently that was panning & zooming, trying to smooth
    it out by drawing guidelines in a CAD program & doing the rotating from
    there & it turned out awful so I think this is going to be very
    difficult tedious work.

    It should help to also capture faded transitions between each frame, I
    managed to slow down some cloud time lapse with a slide show program
    this way once & it worked well but that was done on a tripod.

    paul, Dec 26, 2004
  16. Mark² Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in message
    > MS Moviemaker is free with WinXP (you will want to download the latest
    > update) It's not all-powerful but pretty easy to use. It'll crash after
    > a couple hundred or so frames. Easy to add sound track though.
    >
    > Probably photoshop layers are your best bet. I'd be curious if there is
    > a better option. I've got some old hand held time lapse film I always
    > intended to straighten out.
    >
    > I tried a series recently that was panning & zooming, trying to smooth
    > it out by drawing guidelines in a CAD program & doing the rotating from
    > there & it turned out awful so I think this is going to be very
    > difficult tedious work.
    >
    > It should help to also capture faded transitions between each frame, I
    > managed to slow down some cloud time lapse with a slide show program
    > this way once & it worked well but that was done on a tripod.
    >

    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Thank you for your replies. I see that the following options have been
    > > recommended.
    > >
    > > * Adobe premiere
    > > * Animated gifs
    > > * Media studio pro and vegas video
    > > * Pro show gold
    > > * Free animator 9
    > > * Quicktime pro
    > >
    > > Before I download any of these, could anyone confirm which of them fit
    > > my two criteria - (i) assistance with alignment and (ii) converting
    > > into a video file (needn't be avi, come to think of it)?
    > >
    > > In particular, I'd like hints as to how to align the photos. Ideally
    > > the photos would have been taken in exactly the same place each day,
    > > but that wasn't an option.

    No program can make up for differences in perspective (as in location
    differences within the sequence). There is nothing more important to be
    sure of when doing stop-motion, or time lapse than identical shot
    origin/perspective.

    Beyond this issue, the programs you list will work.
    Personally, I am finding it a huge relief to realise that Pro Show Gold will
    work for this, as it clearly offers more control than any others I have yet
    tried...at least in conjuction with ease of use.

    Do yourself a favor in the future, though, and take any and all measures to
    secure consistent perspective...because so software can replace this most
    vital element.

    -Mark

    Mark², Dec 26, 2004
  17. Guest

    Hi Mark,

    I understand your point about the perspective needing to be constant.
    Fortunately all of the photos were taken from the exact same spot.
    However, the "direction" in which the camera was pointing was slightly
    different in all cases - just enough so that the shots do not exactly
    line up with each other.

    Do you agree with Mark that Photoshop layers would be the easiest (but
    still very time-consuming) way of aligning the photos? Or would one of
    the other options - such as Pro Show Gold - help me to do it
    Thanks,

    Itchy

    , Dec 30, 2004
  18. Mark² Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > I understand your point about the perspective needing to be constant.
    > Fortunately all of the photos were taken from the exact same spot.
    > However, the "direction" in which the camera was pointing was slightly
    > different in all cases - just enough so that the shots do not exactly
    > line up with each other.
    >
    > Do you agree with Mark that Photoshop layers would be the easiest (but
    > still very time-consuming) way of aligning the photos? Or would one of
    > the other options - such as Pro Show Gold - help me to do it
    > Thanks,

    Probably layers, since that will allow you to place them directly on top of
    each other/yet see through to other shots for alignment. Proshow gold is
    great for the sequence rendering, but won't allow as much precision with
    alignment. Once you have them aligned, and cropped to that alignment, then
    drop them in Pro Show Gold, and you'll be in business. Just drop the
    transition times to 0.0 to avoide delays in the progression.

    Mark², Dec 30, 2004