Making the final digital camera purchase choice???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Joe, Jun 18, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS

    I have been looking at stat sheets for a few days. Without really
    knowing what the he!! I am doing it does seem that image stabilization
    is a worthy feature and worth the premium and I am pretty much
    settling on these 2 camera. I read the message string that was posted
    in the past on these cameras.

    There is about $100.00 difference in price. Is the Panasonic worth the
    $100.00 premium for the extra megapixal, 12X optical instead of 10X
    and the Lieca lens?

    Any other comparison features that stand out?

    Most of the reviews were positive. I did read one that was negative on
    the picture quality of the Canon, anyone else find that to be the
    case?

    I have not handled the Panasonic but a local Staples had the Canon. It
    appeared to be a well made piece of equipment.

    I am thinking of purchasing from this on-line business, about $100.00
    less than retail, anyone ever deal with them?
    http://www.digitaletailer.com

    Any points to think about or additional factors to consider would be
    appreciated.

    Thanks

    Joe

    Joe, Jun 18, 2004

  2. Joe wrote:

    I don't really know the two cameras, so let me only address those
    general issues that are not really camera specific:

    > There is about $100.00 difference in price. Is the Panasonic worth the
    > $100.00 premium for the extra megapixal, 12X optical instead of 10X
    > and the Lieca lens?

    If you are going to be using the telephoto 10X or 12X often and not
    using a tripod, then I highly recommend the image stabilization feature.
    The difference between 10X or 12X is not all that much I would not get
    excited about it. (BTW are you talking about 10X zoom ration or 10X max
    telephoto effect?)

    > I have not handled the Panasonic but a local Staples had the Canon. It
    > appeared to be a well made piece of equipment.

    I suggest you at least handle the Panasonic before you buy it. How a
    camera fits your hands and how comfortable with handling the controls on the
    camera can mean a lot after you have it. That is one thing that you have to
    do yourself.

    I might also suggest that you consider buying locally and from a real
    camera shop or a dealer who understands photography. They can offer you a
    lot of help before and after the sale that can more than make up the
    difference in price. When you know what you want and you have no need of
    the dealer for anything other than to get you the produce, then on-line is
    great. It is not exactly fair to go to a dealer, even Staples, and waste
    their time if you are not really considering buying it from them. Yea, I
    sold cameras for a living many years ago.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 19, 2004

  3. Joe

    grenner Guest

    I have the Canon and went with it because of the image stabilization.
    Trying to hold a camera steady for full 10x or 12x zoom is difficult to do
    with out showing some shake. The Canon takes nice pictures and uses the
    commonly available AA batteries of which I have plenty of the PowerEx and in
    a pinch can use regular battries if needed. It also uses CF which I have
    plenty of.

    I am aware of the 12x Panasonic but have never looked at it.

    Greg

    grenner, Jun 19, 2004
  4. Joe

    grenner Guest

    One other note, the store you give the Web address for is in Brooklyn, NY.
    That address alone, selling electronics should strike fear into the hearts
    of anyone buying a camera. If the prices are too good to be true they
    probably are some kind of gray market or open merchandise or simply not
    available

    Greg

    grenner, Jun 19, 2004
  5. Joe

    Nick C Guest

    "Joe" <> wrote in message
    > Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    >
    > I have been looking at stat sheets for a few days. Without really
    > knowing what the he!! I am doing it does seem that image stabilization
    > is a worthy feature and worth the premium and I am pretty much
    > settling on these 2 camera. I read the message string that was posted
    > in the past on these cameras.
    >
    > There is about $100.00 difference in price. Is the Panasonic worth the
    > $100.00 premium for the extra megapixal, 12X optical instead of 10X
    > and the Lieca lens?
    >
    > Any other comparison features that stand out?
    >
    > Most of the reviews were positive. I did read one that was negative on
    > the picture quality of the Canon, anyone else find that to be the
    > case?
    >
    > I have not handled the Panasonic but a local Staples had the Canon. It
    > appeared to be a well made piece of equipment.
    >
    > I am thinking of purchasing from this on-line business, about $100.00
    > less than retail, anyone ever deal with them?
    > http://www.digitaletailer.com
    >
    > Any points to think about or additional factors to consider would be
    > appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Joe

    These type cameras have little sensors and noise progressively becomes a
    problem about ISO 200 and faster.

    nick

    Nick C, Jun 19, 2004
  6. Joe

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    The Panasonic has a somewhat smaller sensor and perhaps more noise. But
    it has a faster lens (f/2.8 throughout its 12x zoom range). OTOH -- the
    Canon is smaller and their IS is excellent.

    In any case, none of us ever make a "final digital camera purchase
    choice". There is always the next one -- and, for most, a dSLR in the end.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Jun 19, 2004
  7. Joe

    Double D Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    >
    > I have been looking at stat sheets for a few days. Without really
    > knowing what the he!! I am doing it does seem that image stabilization
    > is a worthy feature and worth the premium and I am pretty much
    > settling on these 2 camera. I read the message string that was posted
    > in the past on these cameras.
    >
    > There is about $100.00 difference in price. Is the Panasonic worth the
    > $100.00 premium for the extra megapixal, 12X optical instead of 10X
    > and the Lieca lens?
    >
    > Any other comparison features that stand out?

    IMHO the Canon images look much better. The Canon DIGIC processor is a
    factor in this. Superfine JPGs on Canon digicams are as close to lossless
    as possible. This results in smoother, cleaner images with less
    artifacts. My cousin owns the S1 IS. She is very pleased with it. I also
    have a friend who owns the Panasonic FZ10. I have used both cameras.
    Personally, I like the feel of the Canon better, but this is a personal
    preference.

    You would probably be happy with either model, but don't let the extra
    megapixel sway you one way or another. I would go with the Canon, but of
    course I'm a Canon EOS shooter. :)

    Dick

    Double D, Jun 19, 2004
  8. http://tinyurl.com/2an8s

    http://tinyurl.com/2hwwk

    The DMC-FZ10 is a great camera...I just got one this week. I have not used
    the Canon; it is smaller than the FZ10. The FZ10 is sized and shaped more
    like an SLR, but is lighter. After reading all the reviews, professional
    and user, I decided on the FZ10.

    Look at the user reviews at:
    www.amazon.com
    www.epinion.com
    www.vanns.com

    You will notice the price difference is only $10.

    Cathy De Viney, Jun 19, 2004
  9. In article <>,
    (Joe) wrote:

    > Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS

    I recently bought an S1 after several months of aiming for an FZ10
    (because of the x12 and that all-important IS). I was distracted by the S1
    IS for several reasons. For a start it looked like a more pocketable
    general purpose camera. I was also probably swayed more than I'd care to
    admit by the styling; it really is a rather, er... "techno-pretty" camera.
    I also liked the AA batteries and the 30fps/640x480 movie option as I
    don't have a video camera.

    In the end I didn't try either camera before buying, and bought on impulse
    when I found the S1 at a very good price (for the record, 324ukp from
    ebuyer.co.uk, where almost all other UK retailers are asking more like
    370ukp). Of course I then blew that saving by buying a fast (x40) 1Gb CF
    card to make sure I could record in movie mode smoothly.

    Anyway, my first impression of the S1 was that it's nowhere near as
    comfortable to hold as it looked. I don't have huge hands, but a slightly
    larger grip (such as that on the FZ10) would be much nicer IMO. Still, you
    can't have your pocketability cake and eat it. The S1 fits my coat pocket
    easily and is a pretty pleasant handful when wandering around. But then
    you'll know that as you've been sensible enough to try before you buy :)

    I've got used to the feel of the camera in my hand now. It's not a perfect
    bit of ergonomic design though, and you have to be careful where you put
    your thumb (there are buttons everywhere, which is both a blessing and
    curse at times).

    However the autofocus and EVF continue to frustrate me.... or maybe I
    should say it's just the EVF, because it's the EVF which stops you being
    confident about focus even when in manual mode (which I use a lot because
    I have a bad habit of trying to be far too clever for my own good when
    framing shots).

    It's important to say the autofocus is excellent in normal "point & shoot"
    mode. But the EVF (and all EVF's are the same, I'm sure) is a tricky beast
    that doesn't inspire confidence when trying anything more creative. I
    actually find the screen at the back clearer in use than the EVF even
    though they're supposed to have the same resolution... I may just be
    weird.

    Having slagged the EVF off, I will say that when messing about in full
    manual exposure mode I *really* enjoy being able to see the image I'm
    going to capture. It's a very nice creative tool... I just want twice the
    resolution and I want it *now* :)

    What else? Um... Oh, yes. The one thing which still makes me wish I'd
    waited and bought the FZ10 is it's burst mode capture. Ok, most of the
    time it's not a feature I'll need. But when you need something like that
    you *really* need it, especially with digital camera/EVF lag to contend
    with. The S1 only has a 1.7fps mode to offer and it's not something I'd
    want to use in anger (eg trying to catch a decent shot in a high speed
    pass at an airshow or on a race track). However the high res movie mode
    goes a long way towards making up for that. It eats space very quickly
    (8.5mins on an empty 1Gb card) but used sparingly it could compensate for
    burst mode.

    I still wish the S1 had it though :) But then one of the reasons I gave
    in and bought the S1 was I was sick of sitting here thinking "why doesn't
    camera X have feature Y?" Sooner or later you just have to open the wallet
    and feel the pain.

    Overall the S1 is a very capable little package. I hope you have very
    little pain whichever way you jump :)

    Andrew McP

    Andrew MacPherson, Jun 19, 2004
  10. Joe wrote:
    > Panasonic DMC-FZ10K and Canon PowerShot S1 IS
    > ..
    >
    > I am thinking of purchasing from this on-line business, about $100.00
    > less than retail, anyone ever deal with them?
    > http://www.digitaletailer.com

    granner made a very good point about who you might be buying from.
    While you did not ask, you should be aware that we see many messages from
    people who have bought or tried to buy from less than desirable on line
    dealers. They are not happy campers. Everything that could go wrong does.

    There are some fine on line dealers, but be as careful or more so about
    what dealer you choose as what camera.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 19, 2004
  11. Joe

    Renee Guest

    Hi Joe,

    I recently bought the Canon S1 IS and love it. I'm very happy with the
    pictures and I still can't find of that dreaded purple fringing in my shots.
    My printer only prints 8 1/2 x 11 so I don't need anything greater than 3.2
    Mpixel. I don't plan on getting posters made either.

    The camera feels sturdy, unlike my other featherlight cameras, and I am more
    able to keep it still while shooting. I got it for its image stablization,
    10x zoom (which is great!) and good movie taking ability (don't have a
    camcorder). I really like the electronic viewfinder -- I can see the
    functions and menu through it no matter what lighting I'm in. Of course I
    haven't tried that in pitch darkness, but I have taken shots like that where
    I needed the menu in a darkened restaurant, and in bright sunlight. And
    unlike my old cheapo digital camera, there is no parallax (I think that's
    what you call it, where the viewfinder doesn't display what's actually being
    shot). They claim the viewfinder is 100% accurate, and I use it to conserve
    my battery charge.

    I decided to buy S1 IS online from Walmart.com when they had a 10% off sale
    (don't know if it's still on sale). What really cinched the deal for me was
    that they had a 30-day no-questions-asked, no-restocking-fee return policy.
    Even though I bought it online, I could take it back to my local Walmart if
    I didn't like it. My local Circuit City and Best Buy stores carry the
    camera, but they only have a 15-day return policy, and charge a 15%
    restocking fee.

    Renee

    Renee, Jun 19, 2004
  12. This is true...make sure you are getting a USA warranty (not grey market)
    and that the product is not a refurb....just ask the right questions before
    you buy.

    I have not ordered anything from www.vanns.com but they seem to have a good
    reputation from what I have read on the net.

    Cathy De Viney, Jun 19, 2004
  13. Cathy De Viney wrote:
    > This is true...make sure you are getting a USA warranty (not grey
    > market) and that the product is not a refurb....just ask the right
    > questions before you buy.

    And don't send money until you have the product in your hands. Watch
    your charge account carefully if you give them your charge card. Find out
    what name the charge will be paid to.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Jun 19, 2004
  14. So which one have you did you decide on?

    Cathy De Viney, Jun 21, 2004
  15. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Thanks to all that answered.

    I decided on the Canon and just ordered it through Walmart.com

    I have been beating myself up over the little things for a few days
    now and decided to go with the Canon. This is a first camera with any
    "advanced" features so the prolonged indecision was taking away
    opportunity to use the camera. I expect the learning curve will be
    steep.

    My basic rationalization looked at resolution, I discounted the pixels
    and felt that the difference between 3.2 and 4 mega-pixels wasn't that
    great. I also considered the difference between lenses 12X or 10X and
    believe it isn't that much of an issue as well.

    I will say that the burst mode and the 4 FPS for the Panasonic was
    desirable and that was a real sticking point pulling me toward the
    Panasonic, but I am a novice and if as I use the camera and take a lot
    of pics and the 1.7 FPS that the Canon delivers poses a problem I will
    look at the issue then.

    The cost is about $100 bucks difference and for the extra $100 I will
    get some memory and maybe a battery set and charger.

    There were enough features to pull me either way. I expect, I would
    have been happy with either and hope I will be happy with the Canon.

    Time will tell.

    Again, thanks to all that answered this message string as well as the
    10X message string. Your input and direction was a big help in
    choosing.

    Joe

    Joe, Jun 21, 2004
  16. I think you will be very happy with your choice...they are BOTH great
    cameras, and take great pictures, from what I have read. Congratulations!

    Let us hear back after you have had a chance to use it.

    Cathy De Viney, Jun 22, 2004