    so I can do some cutting and pasting before deleting the source projects
    from Basecamp.

    ta
    Deano, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Deano

    Vanguard Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    news:447f6957$0$22884$...
    >I subscribe to Basecamp, a web-based project management tool. They
    >allow
    > you to export your data to XML format which I have done. Now of
    > course it
    > has a zillion embedded tags and it's a bit hard to read.
    >
    > Do I need a webmonkey to write a stylesheet to sort this or is there a
    > utility that can help me out. I just want it to be a little more
    > readable
    > so I can do some cutting and pasting before deleting the source
    > projects
    > from Basecamp.

    What does it look like when you open it in IE? Might be good enough for
    copy/paste.
    Vanguard, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Deano

    Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote:

    |>I subscribe to Basecamp, a web-based project management tool. They allow
    |>you to export your data to XML format which I have done. Now of course it
    |>has a zillion embedded tags and it's a bit hard to read.
    |>
    |>Do I need a webmonkey to write a stylesheet to sort this or is there a
    |>utility that can help me out. I just want it to be a little more readable
    |>so I can do some cutting and pasting before deleting the source projects
    |>from Basecamp.

    Use Opera? press Shift-G
    or there's always Greasemonkey http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/

    --
    http://jesuspan.com/
    , Jun 2, 2006
  4. Deano

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >I subscribe to Basecamp, a web-based project management tool. They allow
    > you to export your data to XML format which I have done. Now of course it
    > has a zillion embedded tags and it's a bit hard to read.
    >
    > Do I need a webmonkey to write a stylesheet to sort this or is there a
    > utility that can help me out. I just want it to be a little more readable
    > so I can do some cutting and pasting before deleting the source projects
    > from Basecamp.
    >
    > ta

    Free trial version
    http://www.altova.com/download_spy_enterprise.html

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 2, 2006
  5. Deano

    Deano Guest

    "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > >I subscribe to Basecamp, a web-based project management tool. They allow
    > > you to export your data to XML format which I have done. Now of course

    it
    > > has a zillion embedded tags and it's a bit hard to read.
    > >
    > > Do I need a webmonkey to write a stylesheet to sort this or is there a
    > > utility that can help me out. I just want it to be a little more

    readable
    > > so I can do some cutting and pasting before deleting the source projects
    > > from Basecamp.
    > >
    > > ta
    > >

    > Free trial version
    > http://www.altova.com/download_spy_enterprise.html
    >
    > Duane :)

    Hmm, I presume this is a jokey suggestion, but I'm so clueless about XML
    that I don't see the joke :)
    Deano, Jun 2, 2006
  6. Deano

    Duane Arnold Guest

    "Deano" <> wrote in message

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Deano" <> wrote in message
    >> >I subscribe to Basecamp, a web-based project management tool. They
    >> >allow
    >> > you to export your data to XML format which I have done. Now of course

    > it
    >> > has a zillion embedded tags and it's a bit hard to read.
    >> >
    >> > Do I need a webmonkey to write a stylesheet to sort this or is there a
    >> > utility that can help me out. I just want it to be a little more

    > readable
    >> > so I can do some cutting and pasting before deleting the source
    >> > projects
    >> > from Basecamp.
    >> >
    >> > ta
    >> >

    >> Free trial version
    >> http://www.altova.com/download_spy_enterprise.html
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Hmm, I presume this is a jokey suggestion, but I'm so clueless about XML
    > that I don't see the joke :)

    What joke are you talking about?

    You asked for something that will help you with XML and I gave you one
    solution.

    That's all it is and nothing else.

    How you're interpreting that it's some kind of a joke is beyond me?

    Other than that, I suggest you get a beginner's XML book or something.

    Duane :)
    Duane Arnold, Jun 2, 2006
  7. Deano rambled on in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message

    snip

    >> Free trial version
    >> http://www.altova.com/download_spy_enterprise.html
    >>
    >> Duane :)

    > Hmm, I presume this is a jokey suggestion, but I'm so clueless about
    > XML that I don't see the joke :)

    Jokey? Perhaps you don't need an XML development application. Instead,
    acquire a copy of "XML for Dummies", ($15.74 at Amazon.com) for a start, or
    one of the other basic XML textbooks.

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
    The Old Sourdough, Jun 2, 2006
  8. Deano

    > "Deano" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Duane Arnold" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "Deano" <> wrote in message

    course
    > > it

    > > readable

    > >> Free trial version
    > >> http://www.altova.com/download_spy_enterprise.html
    > >>
    > >> Duane :)

    > > Hmm, I presume this is a jokey suggestion, but I'm so clueless about XML
    > > that I don't see the joke :)
    > >

    > What joke are you talking about?
    >
    > You asked for something that will help you with XML and I gave you one
    > solution.
    >
    > That's all it is and nothing else.
    >
    > How you're interpreting that it's some kind of a joke is beyond me?
    >
    > Other than that, I suggest you get a beginner's XML book or something.
    >
    > Duane :)

    Fine, I just thought there was some joke implied by your smilie. There's no
    need to get defensive.

    Thanks for the link.
    Deano, Jun 2, 2006
  9. Deano

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 23:24:09 +0100, Deano wrote:

    >I subscribe to Basecamp, a web-based project management tool. They allow
    >you to export your data to XML format which I have done. Now of course it
    >has a zillion embedded tags and it's a bit hard to read.

    That's because it's not readable, it's meant to be processed.

    >Do I need a webmonkey to write a stylesheet to sort this or is there a

    Yes, you write a bit of XSLT, about the most basic is simply convert
    everyting to sit in <p> </p> .

    >utility that can help me out. I just want it to be a little more readable
    >so I can do some cutting and pasting before deleting the source projects
    >from Basecamp.

    Maybe open it in newer version of MS Office / OpenOffice and Save As.
    Never tried it that way as I use Oxygen XML Editor, view stuff in a
    syntax color editor and view pages out in Mozilla, Firefox, Opera etc.

    A simple example :) from w3 schools site.

    My CD Collection
    Title Artist
    Empire Burlesque Bob Dylan

    Is from, the source XML
    <?xml-stylesheet type="text/xsl" href="cdcatalog.xsl"?>
    <catalog>
    <cd>
    <title>Empire Burlesque</title>
    <artist>Bob Dylan</artist>
    <country>USA</country>
    <company>Columbia</company>
    <price>10.90</price>
    <year>1985</year>
    </cd>
    </catalog>

    using the XSLT , except for the top / tail notice all it does is a
    normal <html> <body> setup, a plain table , come color. The work is done
    by the xsl:for-each loop. It just reads every <cd> in the XML file

    <cd>
    <title>Empire Burlesque</title>
    <artist>Bob Dylan</artist>
    <country>USA</country>
    <company>Columbia</company>
    <price>10.90</price>
    <year>1985</year>
    </cd>

    title and artist putting them in a table row.

    <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
    <xsl:template match="/">
    <h2>My CD Collection</h2>
    <th align="left">Title</th>
    <th align="left">Artist</th>
    <xsl:for-each select="catalog/cd">
    </xsl:for-each>
    </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>

    :) <very big grin>

    Just tried Word 2003, you need the XSLT, do Save As after opening the
    XML, tick transform, selct the xsl file , do the transform. Select All ,
    right click , remove XML tags, Save as .doc

    Don't know if Word does it any better or easier.

    Me
    why?, Jun 2, 2006