    disappointed Russell.

    <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 18, 2008

  2. Rita Berkowitz

    Mr. G D Geen Guest

    Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    > Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one prior
    > to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    > bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's
    > amazing
    > what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    > any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    > disappointed Russell.
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>
    >

    > Rita

    Beautiful. That is the reason that I want a 500mm as well. Leave it
    alone. I love it! -G
    Mr. G D Geen, Feb 18, 2008

  3. "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    > Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one
    > prior
    > to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    > bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's
    > amazing
    > what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    > any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    > disappointed Russell.
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>

    Very nice shot. What's "Tennessee bokeh"?

    Neil
    Neil Harrington, Feb 18, 2008
  4. Rita Berkowitz

    Douglas Guest

    On Feb 19, 8:53 am, "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:
    > "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message

    > > Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one
    > > prior
    > > to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    > > bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's
    > > amazing
    > > what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    > > any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    > > disappointed Russell.

    > > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>

    > Very nice shot. What's "Tennessee bokeh"?
    >
    > Neil

    "Tennessee" refers to where this groups biggest jackass lives. He just
    happens to create his images with photoshop instead of a camera. Bokeh
    is applied using photoshop's "blur tool" to produce a plastic replica
    of a real photograph. I suspect this is why he calls his images "pics"
    and not photos... Because he creates them in a computer from images
    stolen from other photographers and occasionally ones taken with a
    camera he claims was a gift from a stranger.

    http://www.annika1980.com pretty much describes what this jackass gets
    up to.
    Douglas, Feb 18, 2008
  5. Neil Harrington wrote:

    >> Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one
    >> prior
    >> to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the
    >> highlights a bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have
    >> to do. It's amazing
    >> what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not
    >> to add any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so
    >> don't be too disappointed Russell.
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>

    > Very nice shot. What's "Tennessee bokeh"?

    Thanks. It's what you see from a certain individual that posts plastic crap
    animations instead of actual photographs. The 500/4 Nikkor has such a
    beautiful way of rendering backgrounds that each one is unique because of
    the surrounding scenery and obstacles. The "Tennessee Bokeh" is just a
    Photoshop trick to render lifeless blur in the background. No matter how
    hard they try they can't replace the wonderful signature bokeh of Nikkor.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 19, 2008
  6. Douglas wrote:

    >> Very nice shot. What's "Tennessee bokeh"?

    > "Tennessee" refers to where this groups biggest jackass lives. He just
    > happens to create his images with photoshop instead of a camera. Bokeh
    > is applied using photoshop's "blur tool" to produce a plastic replica
    > of a real photograph. I suspect this is why he calls his images "pics"
    > and not photos... Because he creates them in a computer from images
    > stolen from other photographers and occasionally ones taken with a
    > camera he claims was a gift from a stranger.

    LOL! You said it better than I could ever.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 19, 2008
  7. Rita Berkowitz

    Noons Guest

    On Feb 19, 11:06 am, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:

    > Photoshop trick to render lifeless blur in the background. No matter how
    > hard they try they can't replace the wonderful signature bokeh of Nikkor.

    Hehehe! You should see the bokeh I get from my Nikkor 500:
    it's the mirror one.
    ;-)
    Noons, Feb 19, 2008
  8. Rita Berkowitz

    George Kerby Guest

    On 2/18/08 4:53 PM, in article ,
    "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    > "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one
    >> prior
    >> to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    >> bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's
    >> amazing
    >> what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    >> any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    >> disappointed Russell.
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>

    > Very nice shot. What's "Tennessee bokeh"?
    >
    > Neil

    Otherwise known as "Rita Moonshine".
    George Kerby, Feb 19, 2008
  9. Rita Berkowitz

    Pudentame Guest

    Neil Harrington wrote:
    > "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote in message
    >> Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one
    >> prior
    >> to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    >> bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's
    >> amazing
    >> what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    >> any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    >> disappointed Russell.
    >>
    >> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>

    > Very nice shot. What's "Tennessee bokeh"?

    It's a slam at Bret, aka Annika1980. Rita shoots Nikon, and Annika
    shoots Canon. They're neck and neck in competition to see who can become
    the most boring asshole in all of the usenet photography groups.
    Pudentame, Feb 19, 2008
  10. Rita Berkowitz

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Feb 18, 5:53 pm, "Neil Harrington" <> wrote:

    > What's "Tennessee bokeh"?

    It's the smoothness you see from the Forgotten 400 f/5.6L, and not
    that scratchy Nikon crap. Maybe someday Rita will learn to take a
    proper hawk shot without blowing the highlights or having a butt-ugly
    background.

    Here's an old one taken way back when with the Totally Digital D60:
    http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/24372096/original.jpg
    Annika1980, Feb 19, 2008
  11. Rita Berkowitz

    JT's Ghost Guest

    "Mr. G D Geen" wrote:

    > Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    > > Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one prior
    > > to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    > > bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's
    > > amazing
    > > what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    > > any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    > > disappointed Russell.
    > >
    > > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>
    > >
    > > Rita
    > >

    > Beautiful. That is the reason that I want a 500mm as well. Leave it
    > alone. I love it! -G

    Yep! Rita has a nice shot here... I like it, even with the slight
    touch-up in Photoshop.

    - JT
    only has a D70 w/ 70-200mm f2.8 VR

    --
    Email Address is used to collect Spam!!!

    "The pendulum of the mind oscillates between sense and nonsense,
    not between right and wrong." - Carl Jung
    JT's Ghost, Feb 19, 2008
  12. Rita Berkowitz

    Paul Furman Guest

    JT's Ghost wrote:
    > "Mr. G D Geen" wrote:
    >> Rita Berkowitz wrote:
    >>> Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one prior
    >>> to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    >>> bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's
    >>> amazing
    >>> what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    >>> any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    >>> disappointed Russell.
    >>>
    >>> <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>
    >>>
    >>> Rita
    >>>

    >> Beautiful. That is the reason that I want a 500mm as well. Leave it
    >> alone. I love it! -G
    >>

    > Yep! Rita has a nice shot here... I like it, even with the slight
    > touch-up in Photoshop.
    >
    > - JT
    > only has a D70 w/ 70-200mm f2.8 VR

    Slap a 1.4x on there & you've got 420mm f/4 (630mm equivalent on a D3).
    The 1.4 teleconverter works well on the 70-200.
    Paul Furman, Feb 19, 2008
  13. Rita Berkowitz

    Guest

    On Feb 19, 2:42 am, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    > Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one prior
    > to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    > bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's amazing
    > what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    > any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    > disappointed Russell.
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>
    >
    > Rita

    A better shot. Apart from the control of the highlights, the off
    centre composition, the twig and the direction of his look, all
    balance it up better imwo.

    However, one last thing I didn't mention before (I try to be kind, but
    we are striving for perfection, aren't we?) I do think you need to
    watch your colour balance - the blue shadows are rather noticeable.
    Ah, takes me back to the original Provia...

    Anyway, it's good to see you are listening and learning. Well done
    Rita.

    And it's ok, you really don't have to mention my name on your site.
    After all, I'm just one of those idiots you are entertaining and not
    taking any serious notice of...... (O:
    , Feb 19, 2008
  14. wrote:

    > Anyway, it's good to see you are listening and learning. Well done
    > Rita.

    A complement like this coming from my mentor has me all teary eyed and
    choked up.

    > And it's ok, you really don't have to mention my name on your site.
    > After all, I'm just one of those idiots you are entertaining and not
    > taking any serious notice of...... (O:

    I'm just paying homage to you for taking time out of your busy schedule to
    mentor me with your greatness. After all, it's not every day that one gets
    taught by Usenet's best photographer. Please be patient with me, I do
    realize I have a long way to go to get awe inspiring shots like those spider
    shots of yours. I will modify the web page to remove your name so as I don't
    want everyone to call you for lessons as this will diminish our quality time
    we share together.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 19, 2008
  15. Paul Furman wrote:

    >> Yep! Rita has a nice shot here... I like it, even with the slight
    >> touch-up in Photoshop.

    Thanks.

    >> only has a D70 w/ 70-200mm f2.8 VR

    > Slap a 1.4x on there & you've got 420mm f/4 (630mm equivalent on a
    > D3). The 1.4 teleconverter works well on the 70-200.

    Do you mean D300? It's a 420 on a D3. I think that I'm going to have to
    get a 1.4x TC though.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 19, 2008
  16. Noons wrote:

    >> Photoshop trick to render lifeless blur in the background. No
    >> matter how hard they try they can't replace the wonderful signature
    >> bokeh of Nikkor.

    > Hehehe! You should see the bokeh I get from my Nikkor 500:
    > it's the mirror one.
    > ;-)

    Like Homer Simpson would say, "Mmmm DONUTS!!" Sometimes you can make those
    donuts work for you.

    Rita
    Rita Berkowitz, Feb 19, 2008
  17. Rita Berkowitz

    Ali Guest

    I am going to put a spanner in the works again bud. ;-) Ordinarily I
    wouldn't post, but just because it's you...

    You need to get closer.

    The light is not good. Well actually terrible.

    I haven't looked at the histogram, but I can see straight away that the
    blacks aren't black. Well, maybe they are black, but the log under the
    claws doesn't look right, as it's too light, the tail too. Looks like a
    scan in fact.

    Background, well, I don't know what to make of that, but it's not bad. Just
    looks strange, but I wasn't there.

    Noise/grain, I think that this was cropped or shot on film. Are you sure
    this was taken on a D3? Not used a D3, but doesn't look right. My 20D
    would blow this out of the water.

    Looks too blue in the shadow areas.

    Overall, there is something strange about this photo. I don't really care
    to be honest, but for me I think that this was shot on 35mm film. Possibly
    Fuji.

    Ali, Feb 19, 2008
  18. Rita Berkowitz

    Douglas Guest

    On Feb 19, 2:42 am, "Rita Berkowitz" <> wrote:
    > Since I don't alter a pic once it is posted I decided to post the one prior
    > to the first hawk pic. A couple minutes in PS toned down the highlights a
    > bit, but I'm not looking for perfection so it will have to do. It's amazing
    > what high level of dynamic range the good old D3 has. I opted not to add
    > any of the aggressive Tennessee bokeh we all see here, so don't be too
    > disappointed Russell.
    >
    > <http://www.geocities.com/ritaberk2008/hungry_hawk.htm>
    >
    > Rita

    No, no no Rita. You've got it all wrong (again). FF sake.
    You were doing better with the Canon crap. Now you've even got the
    master himself Mark/charles (call him markles, eh?) telling you it a
    good shot. What ever were you thinking?

    You ought to know by now that a negative from him is a sure award
    winner. Getting positives from him is the curse of loonies - BIG
    TIME!

    If you keep going like this, you'll end up at the bottom of the ladder
    again. Just when I was beginning to admire your skills and prowess,
    you go and blow it all with this shot. Must be the poison of cross
    posting down under!

    Have you ever tried shooting with a different camera? The master
    himself used a little Sony digicam he pinched from his boss. I'm sure
    you'll get a lot better shots if you follow his lead. Only ever use
    someone else's camera.

    Look at this one from his highness... Weep and learn my friend. THIS
    is photography at it's finest: http://www.marktphoto.com/portfolio/slides/estuary_fisher.jpg

    See? You have used far too much of the picture. You should aim for at
    least 1/3rd totally black or totally white. This is what the rule of
    thirds is all about. ROTFL.

    Enjoy your day mate,
    Mine is filled with boredom. NOT!
    Douglas, Feb 19, 2008