Making movies on Sony Cybershot DSC-W200

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Moviemaker, Jun 26, 2007.

  1. Moviemaker

    Moviemaker Guest

    I have been trying out the new Sony Cybershot DSC-W200, and I like this
    little camera and its sharp 12 mp stills. The movies, when taken at the
    highest resolution (VX Fine 640 x 480 at 30 frames per second) are also
    pretty good, given the tiny size of the camera.

    I was told by the sales person that you can use the zoom feature when making
    movies with this camera. However, I have found that I can't actually zoom in
    and out while the camera is recording movies. I can select, BEFORE
    recording, either a wide angle, standard, or telephoto view, and take movies
    at these different scales. But it won't zoom in and out while recording. Can
    anyone tell me please whether this is a common limitation of movies taken on
    digital "still" cameras, or do some models allow you to zoom in and out
    while recording?

    Another unexpected movie limitation is that the Sony W200 limits the size of
    movie files to 2GB, after which the camera stops recording automatically. At
    the highest resolution, a 2GB movie file would take about 25 minutes to
    record. Is this a common movie limitation with small digital cameras of this
    type? I was told that movies are only limited in size to the capacity of the
    memory stick, but this isn't the case with the W200.

    Regards, MM
    Moviemaker, Jun 26, 2007

  2. Moviemaker

    Jonathan Guest

    Moviemaker wrote:
    > I have been trying out the new Sony Cybershot DSC-W200, and I like
    > this little camera and its sharp 12 mp stills. The movies, when taken
    > at the highest resolution (VX Fine 640 x 480 at 30 frames per second)
    > are also pretty good, given the tiny size of the camera.
    >
    > I was told by the sales person that you can use the zoom feature when
    > making movies with this camera. However, I have found that I can't
    > actually zoom in and out while the camera is recording movies. I can
    > select, BEFORE recording, either a wide angle, standard, or telephoto
    > view, and take movies at these different scales. But it won't zoom in
    > and out while recording. Can anyone tell me please whether this is a
    > common limitation of movies taken on digital "still" cameras, or do
    > some models allow you to zoom in and out while recording?
    >
    > Another unexpected movie limitation is that the Sony W200 limits the
    > size of movie files to 2GB, after which the camera stops recording
    > automatically. At the highest resolution, a 2GB movie file would take
    > about 25 minutes to record. Is this a common movie limitation with
    > small digital cameras of this type? I was told that movies are only
    > limited in size to the capacity of the memory stick, but this isn't
    > the case with the W200.
    > Regards, MM

    I will follow this thread as I am curious also. I can say that I have a
    Sony Camcorder with a mem stick and the quality sucks compared to a Nikon
    Coolpix 7600. You can record a movie onto the stick the same way you do to
    tape but it is limited to 15 seconds. Zoom and everything works fine while
    recording. I also have a cheap $99 AIRTEK that has better quality than the
    Sony DCR730. The AIPTEK records to SD card and will be as large as the card
    will hold. IMO the same old recommendations stick. For movies get a
    camcorder or plan on only using the movies in small size for web publishing
    maybe.
    Jonathan, Jun 26, 2007

  3. Moviemaker

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:40:25 +1200
    "Moviemaker" <> wrote:

    > I have been trying out the new Sony Cybershot DSC-W200, and I like
    > this little camera and its sharp 12 mp stills. The movies, when taken
    > at the highest resolution (VX Fine 640 x 480 at 30 frames per second)
    > are also pretty good, given the tiny size of the camera.
    >
    > I was told by the sales person that you can use the zoom feature when
    > making movies with this camera. However, I have found that I can't
    > actually zoom in and out while the camera is recording movies. I can
    > select,

    Just think 'Horses for Courses'
    Use a still camera for stills and a movie camera for movies if you want
    convenience.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse ie and delete l for email.
    Neil Ellwood, Jun 26, 2007
  4. Moviemaker wrote:
    > I have been trying out the new Sony Cybershot DSC-W200, and I like this
    > little camera and its sharp 12 mp stills. The movies, when taken at the
    > highest resolution (VX Fine 640 x 480 at 30 frames per second) are also
    > pretty good, given the tiny size of the camera.
    >
    > I was told by the sales person that you can use the zoom feature when making
    > movies with this camera. However, I have found that I can't actually zoom in
    > and out while the camera is recording movies. I can select, BEFORE
    > recording, either a wide angle, standard, or telephoto view, and take movies
    > at these different scales. But it won't zoom in and out while recording. Can
    > anyone tell me please whether this is a common limitation of movies taken on
    > digital "still" cameras, or do some models allow you to zoom in and out
    > while recording?

    The overwhelming majority of P&S cameras have this limitation when
    recording video. The only ones that I know of that doesn't is Canon's
    S3, possibly the S5 and TX1.

    > Another unexpected movie limitation is that the Sony W200 limits the size of
    > movie files to 2GB, after which the camera stops recording automatically. At
    > the highest resolution, a 2GB movie file would take about 25 minutes to
    > record. Is this a common movie limitation with small digital cameras of this
    > type? I was told that movies are only limited in size to the capacity of the
    > memory stick, but this isn't the case with the W200.

    If Sony says the W200 supports memory cards up to 2 gig then they are
    technically right about the video only being limited by the size of
    memory card. I agree though that this is misleading to most buyers.
    Michael Johnson, Jun 26, 2007
  5. Moviemaker

    Smarty Guest

    A number of Nikon point and shoot cameras allow zoom while taking movies,
    including the S10 Coolpix and Coolpix 8800 which I own.

    The 2 GB limit is usually imposed since the file system required to read and
    write larger files which are Windows-compliant (called NTFS) takes a lot of
    complexity to implement versus the simpler, older FAT file system used in
    most cameras. The physical memory of 2 GB may therefore not be the "true"
    reason why this file size is limited. The camera could write multiple files
    for a movie, breaking the movie into 1 or 2 GB chunks, but they do not seem
    to allow this work-around, probably since it also introduces further
    complexity.

    Smarty

    Smarty, Jun 26, 2007
  6. Smarty wrote:
    > A number of Nikon point and shoot cameras allow zoom while taking movies,
    > including the S10 Coolpix and Coolpix 8800 which I own.

    I don't know much about the Nikon P&S cameras. There aren't many that
    allows zooming while recording. I read somewhere that one reason for
    this is the motor noise from zooming would be recorded and cause too
    many complaints.

    > The 2 GB limit is usually imposed since the file system required to read and
    > write larger files which are Windows-compliant (called NTFS) takes a lot of
    > complexity to implement versus the simpler, older FAT file system used in
    > most cameras. The physical memory of 2 GB may therefore not be the "true"
    > reason why this file size is limited. The camera could write multiple files
    > for a movie, breaking the movie into 1 or 2 GB chunks, but they do not seem
    > to allow this work-around, probably since it also introduces further
    > complexity.

    That is a limitation on FAT systems but with FAT32 they could go up to
    4GB.

    Michael Johnson, Jun 26, 2007
  7. Moviemaker

    Moviemaker Guest

    "Neil Ellwood" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 20:40:25 +1200
    > "Moviemaker" <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have been trying out the new Sony Cybershot DSC-W200, and I like
    >> this little camera and its sharp 12 mp stills. The movies, when taken
    >> at the highest resolution (VX Fine 640 x 480 at 30 frames per second)
    >> are also pretty good, given the tiny size of the camera.
    >>
    >> I was told by the sales person that you can use the zoom feature when
    >> making movies with this camera. However, I have found that I can't
    >> actually zoom in and out while the camera is recording movies. I can
    >> select,

    > Just think 'Horses for Courses'
    > Use a still camera for stills and a movie camera for movies if you want
    > convenience.

    I thought there was a big push towards having one small pocket sized camera
    that could give you acceptable stills and movies! It's great to be able to
    get a camera out of your pocket and be able to change from movies to stills
    with just one turn of a button. I realize, however, that if you want high
    quality movies, you are probably best to get a dedicated high definition
    camcorder. Some of these camcorders also let you take 6mp stills, so that's
    not a bad compromise! But these camcorders usually weigh in at about
    450grams or more, but they are still fairly portable!
    Moviemaker, Jun 26, 2007
  8. Moviemaker

    Bill Guest

    There is also a big push on to combine bicycles and cars. It would be
    really cool if you could drive downtown, and then push a button, and
    suddenly your car tilts up, and you can bike through the mall. I
    realize a dedicated bike would be better, but you could still, I bet,
    make a pretty good bike out of a car with thinner wheels... or you could
    put a little motor on the bike and then you could drive on highways
    really fast. I mean, it wouldn't be as good as a car, but for most of
    us, it would save having to take a bike in your car when you go
    downtown, or having to buy a car if you need to go fast....

    Bill, Jun 27, 2007
  9. Moviemaker

    Moviemaker Guest

    "Bill" <> wrote in message
    > There is also a big push on to combine bicycles and cars. It would be
    > really cool if you could drive downtown, and then push a button, and
    > suddenly your car tilts up, and you can bike through the mall. I realize
    > a dedicated bike would be better, but you could still, I bet, make a
    > pretty good bike out of a car with thinner wheels... or you could put a
    > little motor on the bike and then you could drive on highways really fast.
    > I mean, it wouldn't be as good as a car, but for most of us, it would save
    > having to take a bike in your car when you go downtown, or having to buy a
    > car if you need to go fast....

    But to be serious for a moment, when you can now get a 6mp still camera on,
    for example, a Sony AVCHD camcorder, this is getting close to what a lot of
    people are looking for, that is, just one camera that takes reasonable
    stills and movies. I think this is a better option than buying a small point
    and shoot camera which takes good stills, but can't produce very good
    movies. I saw examples of 6mp stills from the Sony HDRSR7E which is a 60GB
    harddrive handycam, and they were very good, and of course the movies are
    excellent as well! I think digital stills and movies are quite a bit closer
    in functionality than bicycles and cars are, but they have successfully
    combined aeroplanes and cars.
    Moviemaker, Jun 28, 2007