    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Dec 28, 2008

  2. M-M

    tony cooper Guest

    On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:09:34 -0500, M-M <> wrote:

    >I have a set of photos all taken from the same point that I would like
    >to combine into a time-lapse movie.
    >
    >The problem is each one needs to be slightly rotated or otherwise
    >tweaked so they all line up.
    >
    >Short of using a felt-tip marker on my monitor screen to mark points,
    >can anyone suggest a better way using preferably Photoshop Elements?
    >
    >I have software to make the jpgs into the movie, I just need a way to
    >line them all up first.

    In Elements 5.0, I tried View>Grid then Image>Rotate>Free Rotate
    then rotate and move the image until a selected point is exactly at a
    grid intersection. Repeat for all photos.

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

    tony cooper, Dec 28, 2008

  3. M-M

    Paul Furman Guest

    M-M wrote:
    > I have a set of photos all taken from the same point that I would like
    > to combine into a time-lapse movie.
    >
    > The problem is each one needs to be slightly rotated or otherwise
    > tweaked so they all line up.
    >
    > Short of using a felt-tip marker on my monitor screen to mark points,
    > can anyone suggest a better way using preferably Photoshop Elements?
    >
    > I have software to make the jpgs into the movie, I just need a way to
    > line them all up first.

    There are ways to do that automatically with freeware as a stabilizing
    feature plugin:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=virtualdub plugin stabilize

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 28, 2008
  4. M-M

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <>,
    M-M <> wrote:

    > I have a set of photos all taken from the same point that I would like
    > to combine into a time-lapse movie.
    >
    > The problem is each one needs to be slightly rotated or otherwise
    > tweaked so they all line up.
    >
    > Short of using a felt-tip marker on my monitor screen to mark points,
    > can anyone suggest a better way using preferably Photoshop Elements?

    photoshop cs3 and later has auto-align which will do exactly what you
    need. i don't know if elements has that (i suspect it does not). you
    could try the trial version of cs4 if this is a one-off project.

    nospam, Dec 28, 2008
  5. M-M

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, John Navas
    <> wrote:

    > >> I have a set of photos all taken from the same point that I would like
    > >> to combine into a time-lapse movie.
    > >>
    > >> The problem is each one needs to be slightly rotated or otherwise
    > >> tweaked so they all line up.
    > >>
    > >> Short of using a felt-tip marker on my monitor screen to mark points,
    > >> can anyone suggest a better way using preferably Photoshop Elements?

    > >photoshop cs3 and later has auto-align which will do exactly what you
    > >need. i don't know if elements has that (i suspect it does not). you
    > >could try the trial version of cs4 if this is a one-off project.

    > Auto-Align works with layers, not separate images, so it will take a
    > fair amount of work to use it,

    it's actually trivial to do.

    > and may well be fooled by differences in
    > images -- it's designed to align static images, not motion images.

    and that's exactly what he's aligning, to later be used in creating a
    time lapse.

    furthermore, with cs3 or cs4 extended, he can create the time lapse
    within photoshop, including any alignment or any batch cropping and
    retouching that may be needed. however, since he has elements, he'd
    need to download the cs4 extended trial version if he wanted to go that
    route.

    nospam, Dec 28, 2008
  6. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    tony cooper <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 12:09:34 -0500, M-M <> wrote:
    >
    > >I have a set of photos all taken from the same point that I would like
    > >to combine into a time-lapse movie.
    > >
    > >The problem is each one needs to be slightly rotated or otherwise
    > >tweaked so they all line up.
    > >
    > >Short of using a felt-tip marker on my monitor screen to mark points,
    > >can anyone suggest a better way using preferably Photoshop Elements?
    > >
    > >I have software to make the jpgs into the movie, I just need a way to
    > >line them all up first.

    > In Elements 5.0, I tried View>Grid then Image>Rotate>Free Rotate
    > then rotate and move the image until a selected point is exactly at a
    > grid intersection. Repeat for all photos.

    That worked pretty well. Thx.

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Dec 29, 2008
  7. M-M

    M-M Guest

    M-M, Dec 29, 2008
  8. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <281220081619231025%>,
    nospam <> wrote:

    > photoshop cs3 and later has auto-align which will do exactly what you
    > need. i don't know if elements has that (i suspect it does not). you
    > could try the trial version of cs4 if this is a one-off project.

    Elements 6 lacks this feature.

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Dec 29, 2008
  9. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Hix <> wrote:

    > Does PE support layers? (PE4 does, I assume later versions do, too.)
    >

    > If it does, stack 'em. After you've done your corrections, save the
    > layers out individually.
    >
    > Not the most efficient/quickest way to do the job, but it should work.
    > At least it has the benefit of not incurring additional dollar cost.

    Interesting. I made each photo a layer and adjusted the opacity so I
    could line them up.

    How do I save the layers individually?

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Dec 29, 2008
  10. M-M

    Paul Furman Guest

    M-M wrote:
    > Paul Furman wrote:
    >
    >> There are ways to do that automatically with freeware as a stabilizing
    >> feature plugin:
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=virtualdub plugin stabilize

    > I downloaded the program plus the plugin and it seems to have quite a
    > learning curve.
    >
    > It would be nice if it could work but I did not give it much of a try.

    Yes, not exactly intuitive, I agree. If your sequence is more than a
    couple seconds long at 30fps it could be worth learning.

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 29, 2008
  11. M-M

    Mark Thomas Guest

    Steve Hix wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > M-M <> wrote:
    >> How do I save the layers individually?

    > 1 - Save the original file with a new name.
    >
    > 2 - On the copy, turn off all but the layer you want.
    >
    > 3 - Flatten the image.

    I'm probably missing something obvious, but why this step? I'm not at
    my normal computer to try it, but surely if you have turned off the
    other layers, the jpeg will only be what is visible..? No big deal, but
    the fewer steps the better, unless there is something I'm not thinking of.

    Mark Thomas, Dec 29, 2008
  12. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <>,
    Steve Hix <> wrote:

    > In article
    > <>,
    > M-M <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > Steve Hix <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > Does PE support layers? (PE4 does, I assume later versions do, too.)
    > > >

    > > > If it does, stack 'em. After you've done your corrections, save the
    > > > layers out individually.
    > > >
    > > > Not the most efficient/quickest way to do the job, but it should work.
    > > > At least it has the benefit of not incurring additional dollar cost.

    > > Interesting. I made each photo a layer and adjusted the opacity so I
    > > could line them up.
    > >
    > > How do I save the layers individually?

    > 1 - Save the original file with a new name.
    >
    > 2 - On the copy, turn off all but the layer you want.
    >
    > 3 - Flatten the image.
    >
    > 4 - Save as a jpeg.
    >
    > 5 - Repeat, rinse, etc.
    >
    > Like I said, not very elegant/quick/efficient, but it'll do for a
    > one-time effort.

    Thanks. I sort of figured that out. I shut off all layers except one and
    saved it as a jpg and did that with each layer. I just did a quick
    workup of it and it came out only fair but I see the potential.

    Here is a highly compressed version of a few frames of this project
    (Quicktime Movie). The compression kind of killed the transition effect
    between frames:

    http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/falltree2.mov
    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Dec 29, 2008
  13. M-M

    Paul Furman Guest

    M-M wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Steve Hix <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article
    >> <>,
    >> M-M <> wrote:

    >>> Interesting. I made each photo a layer and adjusted the opacity so I
    >>> could line them up.
    >>>
    >>> How do I save the layers individually?

    >> 1 - Save the original file with a new name.
    >>
    >> 2 - On the copy, turn off all but the layer you want.
    >>
    >> 3 - Flatten the image.
    >>
    >> 4 - Save as a jpeg.
    >>
    >> 5 - Repeat, rinse, etc.
    >>
    >> Like I said, not very elegant/quick/efficient, but it'll do for a
    >> one-time effort.

    > Thanks. I sort of figured that out. I shut off all layers except one and
    > saved it as a jpg and did that with each layer. I just did a quick
    > workup of it and it came out only fair but I see the potential.
    >
    > Here is a highly compressed version of a few frames of this project
    > (Quicktime Movie). The compression kind of killed the transition effect
    > between frames:
    >
    > http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/falltree2.mov

    Ah seasons, that's why it was bumpy. Nice even exposures, fun project!

    --
    Paul Furman
    www.edgehill.net

    Paul Furman, Dec 29, 2008
  14. M-M wrote:
    []
    > Here is a highly compressed version of a few frames of this project
    > (Quicktime Movie). The compression kind of killed the transition
    > effect between frames:
    >
    > http://www.mhmyers.com/temp/falltree2.mov

    Nice one!

    [cross-posting trimmed]

    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 29, 2008
  15. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <xg%5l.12291$>,
    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    > Nice one!
    >
    > [cross-posting trimmed]
    >
    > David

    Thanks, but why trim the cross-posting?

    I posted it to 2 applicable newsgroups. Cross-posting is not a sin.

    Yes, it can be abused and usually is. But you are taking a discussion
    and splitting it up and I have to answer on two fronts.

    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Dec 29, 2008
  16. M-M wrote:
    []
    > Thanks, but why trim the cross-posting?
    >
    > I posted it to 2 applicable newsgroups. Cross-posting is not a sin.
    >
    > Yes, it can be abused and usually is. But you are taking a discussion
    > and splitting it up and I have to answer on two fronts.

    M-M,

    (a) If you saw my compliment in one group I hope that's quite adequate.
    No need for any follow-up to my post.

    (b) having a discussion in one group helps focus that group.

    (c) I don't do "mac.apps".

    I do feel there is far too much cross-posting to rec.photo.digital, and
    hope you will understand why posting "Nice one!" in multiple groups wasn't
    essential here. You did not sin, and you are, of course, welcome to add
    the other group back in any reply you make.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Dec 30, 2008
  17. M-M

    M-M Guest

    In article <Kzk6l.12672$>,
    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-part.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

    > (b) having a discussion in one group helps focus that group.
    >
    > (c) I don't do "mac.apps".
    >
    > I do feel there is far too much cross-posting to rec.photo.digital, and
    > hope you will understand why posting "Nice one!" in multiple groups wasn't
    > essential here. You did not sin, and you are, of course, welcome to add
    > the other group back in any reply you make.

    I wasn't really referring to *your* trimming, but the thread was split
    earlier and I had to make a similar response to each. There were 2
    groups of people contributing and answers were relevant to both.

    Not a big deal, and thanks for your input.
    --
    m-m
    http://www.mhmyers.com

    M-M, Dec 30, 2008