    ISP's, or do I have to get some miniPBX like Asterisk and maybe SIP
    phones to make this happen?

    Thank you.

    John Doe, Apr 26, 2006

  2. Asterisk can do this. You would configure a ring group and add the remote
    extension to it. There are VoIP companies that provide virtual PBX setups.
    I believe they then should offer this feature. You might search for
    business VoIP providers to find ones that offer PBX functionality.

    Jonathan Roberts, Apr 26, 2006

  3. I had tinkered with this when it was announced a few months ago...
    http://www.easypabx.com/ It's free and is a virtual Asterisk installation
    (I think it is Asterisk anyway). You would have to setup your own service
    accounts. They just provide the platform. Their servers are in Europe so
    it may not be more useful than just testing.

    Hope this helps

    Jonathan Roberts, Apr 26, 2006
  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:08:37 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    <> wrote:
    >http://www.easypabx.com/ It's free and is a virtual Asterisk installation
    >(I think it is Asterisk anyway). You would have to setup your own service
    >accounts. They just provide the platform. Their servers are in Europe so
    >it may not be more useful than just testing.

    No problem, we're this side of the pond anyway :)

    So the solution to the problem is using a PBX, either on the premises
    of our main office (with a couple of IP phones at the new office), or
    subscribing to a virtual PBX so that we don't have to bother setting
    one up ourselves.

    Thanks!

    John Doe, Apr 26, 2006
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:01:06 -0400, Carl Navarro <>
    wrote:
    >I just did a Vonage installation today and we set up a 4 lines on the
    >customer's high bandwidth DSL. Vonage has simultaneous ring and a UK
    >website. Trh http://www.vonage.co.uk/. They advertise unlimited
    >business for 18.99 a month.

    I'm on my way :)

    >I don't know if that's expensive or not,
    >and I don't know how to make the Pound symbol :)

    ALT 0163 ;-)

    Thx.

    John Doe, Apr 26, 2006
  6. John Doe

    Carl Navarro Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 04:10:58 +0200, John Doe <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:08:37 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    ><> wrote:
    >>http://www.easypabx.com/ It's free and is a virtual Asterisk installation
    >>(I think it is Asterisk anyway). You would have to setup your own service
    >>accounts. They just provide the platform. Their servers are in Europe so
    >>it may not be more useful than just testing.

    >No problem, we're this side of the pond anyway :)
    >
    >So the solution to the problem is using a PBX, either on the premises
    >of our main office (with a couple of IP phones at the new office), or
    >subscribing to a virtual PBX so that we don't have to bother setting
    >one up ourselves.
    >
    >Thanks!

    I just did a Vonage installation today and we set up a 4 lines on the
    customer's high bandwidth DSL. Vonage has simultaneous ring and a UK
    website. Trh http://www.vonage.co.uk/. They advertise unlimited
    business for 18.99 a month. I don't know if that's expensive or not,
    and I don't know how to make the Pound symbol :)

    Carl Navarro

    Carl Navarro, Apr 26, 2006
  7. John Doe

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 19:08:37 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    > <> wrote:
    > > http://www.easypabx.com/ It's free and is a virtual
    > > Asterisk installation (I think it is Asterisk anyway).
    > > You would have to setup your own service accounts.
    > > They just provide the platform. Their servers are in
    > > Europe so it may not be more useful than just testing.

    > No problem, we're this side of the pond anyway :)
    >
    > So the solution to the problem is using a PBX, either on
    > the premises of our main office (with a couple of IP
    > phones at the new office), or subscribing to a virtual
    > PBX so that we don't have to bother setting one up
    > ourselves.
    >
    > Thanks!

    If the "line" concerned is a VoIP one terminating on an ATA or SIP phone,
    then another device configured with the same account information will ring
    wherever it is plugged in. This is known as call forking For example,
    when I go on holiday and take an ATA configured with my number with me,
    both my phone at home and my additional one ring. Whichever one picks up
    first gets the call.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 26, 2006
  8. John Doe

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 23:01:06 -0400, Carl Navarro
    > <> wrote:
    > > I just did a Vonage installation today and we set up a
    > > 4 lines on the customer's high bandwidth DSL. Vonage
    > > has simultaneous ring and a UK website. Trh
    > > http://www.vonage.co.uk/. They advertise unlimited
    > > business for 18.99 a month.

    > I'm on my way :)
    >

    > > I don't know if that's expensive or not,
    > > and I don't know how to make the Pound symbol :)

    > ALT 0163 ;-)

    Hmm. Alt-156 on my keyboard..!

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Apr 26, 2006
  9. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:22:36 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:
    >> ALT 0163 ;-)

    >Hmm. Alt-156 on my keyboard..!

    Mmm... Maybe we're not using the same codepage :)

    John Doe, Apr 26, 2006
  10. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:21:49 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:
    >If the "line" concerned is a VoIP one terminating on an ATA or SIP phone,
    >then another device configured with the same account information will ring
    >wherever it is plugged in. This is known as call forking.

    Thx for the info :) Unfortunately, it's an analog line.

    John Doe, Apr 26, 2006
  11. Asterisk w/ a zap trunk is the answer then :)

    Jonathan Roberts, Apr 26, 2006
  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:49:49 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    <> wrote:
    >Asterisk w/ a zap trunk is the answer then :)

    Looks like it, although I don't know what a zap trunk is, but I shall
    know soon enough ;-)

    John Doe, Apr 26, 2006
  13. I have had good luck with Asterisk@Home. It does a lot of the heavy lifting
    for you. It uses CentOS for its OS.

    Let us know if you run into trouble.

    Jonathan Roberts, Apr 27, 2006
  14. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:02:43 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    <> wrote:
    >I have had good luck with Asterisk@Home. It does a lot of the heavy lifting
    >for you. It uses CentOS for its OS.

    Yup, I burned the CD last night for a first encounter: It complained
    that no Ethernet cable was connected to the NIC, and once up and
    running... I didn't know where to start :) startx wouldn't start the
    GUI. I'm going to give it a shot again today.

    BTW, before I go further...

    - am I right in saying that the only two open-source PBX projects with
    serious momentum are Asterisk and sipX, or are there others I should
    know about?

    - which should I choose for what I'm trying to do?

    - what hardware is trued and trud and certified to work out of the
    box? For instance, there are $10-20 FXO cards, and some $50 SIP phones
    on eBay, but before money changes hands, I'd like to make sure I don't
    buy equipment that is known to be flaky for such and such project.

    Thank you!

    John Doe, Apr 27, 2006
  15. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 01:06:42 +0200, John Doe <>
    wrote:

    > trued and trud

    Kids, look what drinking can do to you.

    s/trued and trud/tried and true/

    John Doe, Apr 27, 2006
  16. John Doe <> wrote:
    >"Jonathan Roberts"<> wrote:
    >>I have had good luck with Asterisk@Home. It does a lot of the heavy lifting
    >>for you. It uses CentOS for its OS.

    >Yup, I burned the CD last night for a first encounter: It complained
    >that no Ethernet cable was connected to the NIC, and once up and
    >running... I didn't know where to start :) startx wouldn't start the
    >GUI. I'm going to give it a shot again today.

    The GUI is in a WWWeb browser from another machine pointed at the one
    running Asterisk@Home

    I found a good tutorial at

    http://members.optusnet.com.au/~bsharif/asterisk/AsteriskDumbMeGuide.htm

    and a walkthru of building a testbed at

    http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blo...062301&ATT=Building an Asterisk Home Test Lab

    Though I couldn't get the softphone to connect to the PBX, and
    couldn't find any answers...

    >- what hardware is trued and trud and certified to work out of the
    >box?

    AFAICT the gold standard are the FXO cards from Digium (that's what I
    have on order). There are more phone options that you can shake a
    stick at, and I haven't seen theones I've ordered yet, so I can't
    advise you there.

    The more I look at this, the more I realize that "working out of the
    box" just isn't in the cards, so it's really going to be a learning
    experience. OTOH, I might become passable enough in Linux to start
    distancing myself from WinDoze, which would really be A Good Thing.

    William P.N. Smith, Apr 27, 2006
  17. John Doe <> writes:
    > - am I right in saying that the only two open-source PBX projects with
    > serious momentum are Asterisk and sipX, or are there others I should
    > know about?

    There is also SER (Sip Express Router):

    http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/SER Linksys NSLU2
    http://www.iptel.org/ser/

    > - which should I choose for what I'm trying to do?

    SER is used by sites that have user bases measured in the thousands to
    millions range. Since SER gets out of the media path it doesn't take
    a very fast or powerful computer to run a sip proxy for quite a large
    population.

    On the other hand asterisk does allow you to interface with T1/E1 PRI
    lines. Sites that need both will often run SER for the heavy lifting
    and asterisk for the calls that need to be gatewayed into the legacy
    phone system.

    > - what hardware is trued and trud and certified to work out of the
    > box? For instance, there are $10-20 FXO cards, and some $50 SIP phones
    > on eBay, but before money changes hands, I'd like to make sure I don't
    > buy equipment that is known to be flaky for such and such project.

    I've had good luck with the Linksys SPA-841 phone and the Grandstream
    Bugetone 101. The latter is at the low end of the curve and it does
    take some careful research to find which version of the firmware is
    stable. There are quite a few more expensive > $100 phones which are
    well out of my budget. Poke around www.voip-info.org tons of
    information on sip phones.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Apr 27, 2006
  18. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:00:03 -0400, William P.N. Smith
    <> wrote:
    >The GUI is in a WWWeb browser from another machine pointed at the one
    >running Asterisk@Home

    Stupid me. Should have figured they wouldn't polute the PBX with X :)

    I'll do the reading while I play with A@Home. Thx for the pointers.

    >The more I look at this, the more I realize that "working out of the
    >box" just isn't in the cards, so it's really going to be a learning
    >experience.

    I'm used to Linux, but even then, setting up those open-source PBX
    thingies looks like an interesting challenge ;-)

    John Doe, Apr 27, 2006
  19. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 17:01:54 -0700, "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"
    <> wrote:
    >There is also SER (Sip Express Router):

    Thx for the link. I took a look on the site, but it looks like a big
    beast for just listening on a FXO card and talking to a few IP phones
    :)

    >Poke around www.voip-info.org tons of
    >information on sip phones.

    I'm on my way. Thx.

    John Doe, Apr 27, 2006
  20. "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 18:02:43 -0500, "Jonathan Roberts"
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have had good luck with Asterisk@Home. It does a lot of the heavy

    lifting
    > >for you. It uses CentOS for its OS.

    > Yup, I burned the CD last night for a first encounter: It complained
    > that no Ethernet cable was connected to the NIC, and once up and
    > running... I didn't know where to start :) startx wouldn't start the
    > GUI. I'm going to give it a shot again today.

    You don't want X on your Asterisk box. It will eat up too many
    resources. Oncee you've assigned an IP to the box, hit it from a web
    browser on the LAN. You should then see AMP, Asterisk Management Portal.
    It will let you define the options for your Asterisk.

    > BTW, before I go further...
    >
    > - am I right in saying that the only two open-source PBX projects with
    > serious momentum are Asterisk and sipX, or are there others I should
    > know about?
    >
    > - which should I choose for what I'm trying to do?

    I am only familiar with Asterisk but have heard of SipX and SER. It
    seems SER is popular.

    > - what hardware is trued and trud and certified to work out of the
    > box? For instance, there are $10-20 FXO cards, and some $50 SIP phones
    > on eBay, but before money changes hands, I'd like to make sure I don't
    > buy equipment that is known to be flaky for such and such project.
    >
    > Thank you!

    I bought a X100P compatible card off ebay to hook up a POTS line. I
    bought it for about 10 USD and it has worked well. As far as phones, I just
    bought my first VoIP phone. I got a Soyo one from ebay for about 30.00.
    Quality is supposed to be okay. I'll have to let you know in a week.
    However, I have used a SPA-1000 for a year or so to connect a standard
    cordless phone. It works like a champ.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Apr 27, 2006