    clipart are much larger than that. Is there a way I can reduce my
    stored image sizes? Are there sites which offer clipart in that size?
    (No sites label their images' sizes.)
    PorkTeriyaki, Apr 11, 2005

  2. You haven't said what programs you use. I will tell you how to do it in
    Photoshop...your program might do it the same way.

    Open the file you want to make into an icon
    Open a new file 64p by 64p
    Select all from the old file, copy, paste
    Transform and scale (press the shift button to preserve dimensions.

    This might involve a lot of scaling so you might want to reduce and crop
    your original first.

    OK...back in the early days of the Internet there was more concern over
    bandwidth. Users had dial up connections and page designers tried to keep
    images small so that they could come up quickly. I read about a way to make
    tiny icons that look real good...this is more advance...but the results are
    better.

    Open original file. Save As a new file so you don't overwrite your original.
    Constrain crop to a square and crop out the face...crop close as you have no
    room for extras. Blur the image substantially. Resize to 64 pixels square
    and sharpen substantially. Saturate the colors if desired. Save as desired
    format. If JPG use best quality.

    Gene Palmiter, Apr 11, 2005

  3. PorkTeriyaki

    Roy Guest

    >I am a new member of several sites on which I can create a profile for
    > other members to see. On most of them, they allow photos & avatars,
    > which can be posted on forums. But most will only take images which
    > are 64 pixels wide & 64 pixels tall. All my photos & downloaded
    > clipart are much larger than that. Is there a way I can reduce my
    > stored image sizes? Are there sites which offer clipart in that size?
    > (No sites label their images' sizes.)

    There are lots of ways, but how you do it, will depend on what software you
    have.

    Won't it?

    Roy G
    Roy, Apr 11, 2005
  4. >
    > There are lots of ways, but how you do it, will depend on what software

    you
    > have.
    >
    > Won't it?
    >
    > Roy G

    The OP is obviously a rookie or he would have known the software to be used
    is important. That is why I gave generic instructions. I really do doubt
    that the OP can use the instructions though...but other might benefit.
    Gene Palmiter, Apr 11, 2005
  5. PorkTeriyaki

    PorkTeriyaki Guest

    Thanx for trying to help, Gene. My software is FinePix from FujiFilm.
    Are you familiar with that? Anyhoo, I'll try to apply what you posted.
    PorkTeriyaki, Apr 12, 2005
  6. OK...right off the bat you need to get some software. The software that
    comes with cameras might get you started but if you don't outgrow it in a
    week or so you aren't trying.

    I don't use freeware or shareware so I hope someone will volunteer the name
    of a program that you can download.

    I have no idea what that program can do...but to some degree it can
    accomplish what you need. Crop square; resize to desired number of pixels.
    that does it...the rest just does it better.

    Gene Palmiter, Apr 12, 2005
  7. PorkTeriyaki

    paul Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:

    > OK...back in the early days of the Internet there was more concern over
    > bandwidth. Users had dial up connections and page designers tried to keep
    > images small so that they could come up quickly. I read about a way to make
    > tiny icons that look real good...this is more advance...but the results are
    > better.
    >
    > Blur the image substantially. Resize to 64 pixels square
    > and sharpen substantially.

    Interesting technique. I never heard of bluring before reducing. I guess
    it just makes it simpler & smaller.
    paul, Apr 12, 2005
  8. > Interesting technique. I never heard of bluring before reducing. I guess
    > it just makes it simpler & smaller.

    I never thought about why it works. But, it works remarkably well. Try it
    and see for your self. When I say remarkably I mean it...I had a page of
    portraits of my chat buddies at one time and several people remarked at how
    well a 50p x 50p icon could hold features.
    Gene Palmiter, Apr 12, 2005
  9. PorkTeriyaki

    paul Guest

    Gene Palmiter wrote:

    >>Interesting technique. I never heard of bluring before reducing. I guess
    >>it just makes it simpler & smaller.

    > I never thought about why it works. But, it works remarkably well. Try it
    > and see for your self. When I say remarkably I mean it...I had a page of
    > portraits of my chat buddies at one time and several people remarked at how
    > well a 50p x 50p icon could hold features.

    I'll try it.

    I have heard of reducing gradually in increments. Probably a similar
    result.
    paul, Apr 12, 2005