    will make this task much easier? If so, I would just wait.

    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Mark Anthony Ferrante

    FERRANTE, Feb 1, 2004

  2. FERRANTE

    Thor Guest

    "FERRANTE" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a lot of videos that I have kept over the years because of
    > things on them that I want to keep. Some may be a few minutes long (as
    > in a particular news broadcast or something like that), others may be
    > a couple of hours. Is it difficult to make DVD's from those tapes
    > using the computer? What are the minimum acceptable requirements for
    > being able to do so, such as hard drive space, DVD burner, stuff like
    > that? If there one particular program that most consider the best for
    > this kind of burning/transfer process?

    Yes, this can be done. But how easy it is depends on your hardware and
    software. You'll want a reasonbly fast machine so encoding can be done
    quickly. Lots of RAM, (if using WinXP, I'd say 512MB or more) and I'd make
    sure to have at least 20-30GB of free harddrive space. Then you'll need a
    DVD burner, and some kind of video capture device. You can use an external
    video capture device if you have a high speed USB 2.0 port, otherwise you'll
    likely need some kind of internal card solution like a separate capture
    card, or a video card that has video capture ability. You'll need some kind
    of DVD authoring software to encode the incoming video into a format that
    can be recorded onto a DVD. Cyberlink's Power Director is one such program.
    Use your sound card's audio input jack to get the sound from your VHS
    machine into the computer. You will need the appropriate cabling for all of
    these connections.

    > Lastly, is anything (technology) forthcoming in the near future that
    > will make this task much easier? If so, I would just wait.

    There already is a very easy way. Far easier than doing it on a PC or MAC,
    IMHO. Just go out and buy a stand-alone DVD recorder. Hook your VHS deck up
    to it's inputs and away you go. Prices for stand-alone units have dropped
    substantially. I'm seeing them in the mid to high $300 (US) range locally
    these days. It may be well worth the price to radically simplify the process
    with such unit.

    Thor, Feb 1, 2004