    - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active

    - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.

    Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
    Geoff Pearson, Mar 22, 2008

  2. Geoff Pearson

    philo Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a

    new
    > bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of the

    old
    > one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
    >
    > I am suggesting:
    >
    > - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set to
    > auto.
    >
    > - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it

    last
    > on the EIDE cable.
    >
    > - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
    >
    > - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
    >
    > Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?

    If using XP...
    just boot with the cd and from the repair console issue the command:
    fixmbr
    philo, Mar 22, 2008

  3. "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >> I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a

    > new
    >> bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of the

    > old
    >> one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
    >>
    >> I am suggesting:
    >>
    >> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set to
    >> auto.
    >>
    >> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it

    > last
    >> on the EIDE cable.
    >>
    >> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
    >>
    >> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
    >>
    >> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
    >>

    > If using XP...
    > just boot with the cd and from the repair console issue the command:
    > fixmbr

    Thanks - that gets the MBR fixed; are my other thoughts about right?
    Geoff Pearson, Mar 22, 2008
  4. Geoff Pearson

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > >> I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a

    > > new
    > >> bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of the

    > > old
    > >> one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
    > >>
    > >> I am suggesting:
    > >>
    > >> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set

    > >> auto.
    > >>
    > >> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it

    > > last
    > >> on the EIDE cable.
    > >>
    > >> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
    > >>
    > >> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
    > >>
    > >> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
    > >>

    > > If using XP...
    > > just boot with the cd and from the repair console issue the command:
    > > fixmbr
    > >

    > Thanks - that gets the MBR fixed; are my other thoughts about right?

    Yes, the clone should have been bootable but sometimes the mbr does not get
    cloned.

    Try the fixmbr command and see what happens
    there should be noting else to do it the drive was otherwise cloned properly
    philo, Mar 22, 2008
  5. Geoff Pearson

    VanguardLH Guest

    >I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to
    >a new bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact
    >clone of the old one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
    >
    > I am suggesting:
    >
    > - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is
    > set to auto.
    >
    > - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make
    > it last on the EIDE cable.
    >
    > - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
    >
    > - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
    >
    > Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?

    Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.
    VanguardLH, Mar 22, 2008
  6. "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a
    >>new bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of
    >>the old one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
    >>
    >> I am suggesting:
    >>
    >> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set to
    >> auto.
    >>
    >> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it
    >> last on the EIDE cable.
    >>
    >> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
    >>
    >> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
    >>
    >> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
    >>

    > Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.

    I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.
    Geoff Pearson, Mar 22, 2008
  7. Geoff Pearson

    > "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    > > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > >>I have a friend who has used Norton Ghost to copy his old C: drive to a
    > >>new bigger drive. He assumed that as the new one was an exact clone of
    > >>the old one, it would boot - but it doesn't.
    > >>
    > >> I am suggesting:
    > >>
    > >> - he check that the new disk is being found in BIOS - check it is set

    > >> auto.
    > >>
    > >> - he check the jumpering on the new disk (Master or CS) and to make it
    > >> last on the EIDE cable.
    > >>
    > >> - I am about to suggest he use FDISK to make the partition active
    > >>
    > >> - he try to rewrite the MBR - can't remember how to do that.
    > >>
    > >> Any further thoughts or corrections of mine?
    > >>

    > > Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.

    > I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.

    If he's 200 miles away from his computer
    have him attach one of these to his wireless mouse and keyboard

    http://www.featurepics.com/online/Antenna-Person-Pictures132617.aspx
    philo, Mar 22, 2008
  8. "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message
    >> > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message

    >> > Have your friend post here to describe what actually happens.

    >> I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.
    >>

    > If he's 200 miles away from his computer
    > have him attach one of these to his wireless mouse and keyboard
    >
    > http://www.featurepics.com/online/Antenna-Person-Pictures132617.aspx

    there are plenty of those nearby!
    Geoff Pearson, Mar 22, 2008
  9. Geoff Pearson

    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> "VanguardLH" <> wrote in message

    of

    set

    > >> I will report back - he is 200 miles from the PC at the moment.
    > >>

    > > If he's 200 miles away from his computer
    > > have him attach one of these to his wireless mouse and keyboard
    > >
    > > http://www.featurepics.com/online/Antenna-Person-Pictures132617.aspx
    > >

    > there are plenty of those nearby!

    Good, then you can remotely administer the fixmbr command <G>
    philo, Mar 22, 2008