making coasters out of DVD's

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Fake Name, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Fake Name

    Fake Name Guest

    All,
    Thank you for reading my post.

    I am having trouble burning disks with Nero.
    If I create a DVD by transcoding an AVI or MPEG file everything works
    perfectly well. For this, I use Nero Vision Express. However, when I
    try to take the contents of a VIDEO_TS folder, which so many are kind
    enough to post here and elsewhere, and place those files onto the
    project I get a successful burn but a DVD that will not play in any
    player I have access to.

    The file structure is just as one could wish. The files play
    perfectly well from my hard disk.

    If I take the steps to transcode from VIDEO_TS to MPEG then transcode
    back to DVD via the above mentioned method all works well excepting a
    certain loss in quality.

    Please advise what I should do for a successful burn.

    Regards.
    Nero Burning ROM version 6.6.1.15

    Fake Name, Apr 18, 2007

  2. On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:38:28 -0500, Fake Name <>
    wrote:

    ->All,
    ->Thank you for reading my post.
    ->
    ->I am having trouble burning disks with Nero.
    ->If I create a DVD by transcoding an AVI or MPEG file everything
    works
    ->perfectly well. For this, I use Nero Vision Express. However,
    when I
    <snip>.......

    VSO DivxToDVD 0.5.2b (last freeware version)
    http://www.aplusfreeware.com/categories/Audio-Video/vsoDivxToDVD.html

    DivxToDVD converts your movie files from a wide range of formats
    (AVI,
    XVID, MPEG, and DIVX) to compliant DVD structures (VOB and IFO).

    -Art- (not Art)

    -Art- (not Art), Apr 18, 2007

  3. Fake Name

    Stuart Guest

    "Fake Name" <> wrote in message
    > All,
    > Thank you for reading my post.
    >
    > I am having trouble burning disks with Nero.
    > If I create a DVD by transcoding an AVI or MPEG file everything works
    > perfectly well. For this, I use Nero Vision Express. However, when I
    > try to take the contents of a VIDEO_TS folder, which so many are kind
    > enough to post here and elsewhere, and place those files onto the
    > project I get a successful burn but a DVD that will not play in any
    > player I have access to.
    >
    > The file structure is just as one could wish. The files play
    > perfectly well from my hard disk.
    >
    > If I take the steps to transcode from VIDEO_TS to MPEG then transcode
    > back to DVD via the above mentioned method all works well excepting a
    > certain loss in quality.
    >
    > Please advise what I should do for a successful burn.
    >
    > Regards.
    > Nero Burning ROM version 6.6.1.15

    After you have made your VIDEO_TS folder containing the VOB, IFO and BUP
    files what setting do you use in NeroExpress to burn this folder and
    contents to DVD? ie DATA or DVD videofiles

    Stuart, Apr 18, 2007
  4. Fake Name

    Fake Name Guest

    <snip>
    >-Art- (not Art)

    -Art-,

    Thank you, Sir.

    Fake Name, Apr 19, 2007
  5. Fake Name

    Fake Name Guest

    >After you have made your VIDEO_TS folder containing the VOB, IFO and BUP
    >files what setting do you use in NeroExpress to burn this folder and
    >contents to DVD? ie DATA or DVD videofiles

    Actually, I download a VIDEO_TS folder from a.b.dvd.movies et al and
    then start Nero not in express but in full. I sellect new DVD-Video
    and Nero already has a template for VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS.

    I ignore, as you know the AUDIO_TS folder and simply copy and paste
    the contents of the downloaded VIDEO_TS folder to the one Nero
    provides. The folders look the same on both panes and I burn the
    project with no errors then the disk is not readable.

    However, if I transcode the downloded VIDEO_TS folder into a single
    AVI, MPEG, WMV, etc then use Nero Vision Express to create a DVD it
    will play perfectly well but is obviously not so clear as it was in
    its original format.

    I've tried both region free and region 1. I've made sure the disk is
    NTSC not PAL.

    I feel there is something so amazingly obvious that I'm missing early
    on that is screwing it up. Maybe so obvious that those of you trying
    to help me are assuming that I'm doing it right.

    Thanks

    Fake Name, Apr 19, 2007
  6. Fake Name

    Stuart Guest

    "Fake Name" <> wrote in message
    > >After you have made your VIDEO_TS folder containing the VOB, IFO and BUP
    >>files what setting do you use in NeroExpress to burn this folder and
    >>contents to DVD? ie DATA or DVD videofiles

    > Actually, I download a VIDEO_TS folder from a.b.dvd.movies et al and
    > then start Nero not in express but in full. I sellect new DVD-Video
    > and Nero already has a template for VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS.
    >
    > I ignore, as you know the AUDIO_TS folder and simply copy and paste
    > the contents of the downloaded VIDEO_TS folder to the one Nero
    > provides. The folders look the same on both panes and I burn the
    > project with no errors then the disk is not readable.
    >
    > However, if I transcode the downloded VIDEO_TS folder into a single
    > AVI, MPEG, WMV, etc then use Nero Vision Express to create a DVD it
    > will play perfectly well but is obviously not so clear as it was in
    > its original format.
    >
    > I've tried both region free and region 1. I've made sure the disk is
    > NTSC not PAL.
    >
    > I feel there is something so amazingly obvious that I'm missing early
    > on that is screwing it up. Maybe so obvious that those of you trying
    > to help me are assuming that I'm doing it right.
    >
    > Thanks

    Okay if you downloaded a folder that contains vob, ifo and bup files all you
    do is use NeroExpress (not NeroVisionExpress) select DVD video files and
    select ADD then select the downloaded folder, no need to copy and paste then
    press Finish then burn. You are not authoring this has already been done by
    the fact that you have the VOB, IFO and BUP files.

    If you are dealing with MPEG or AVI or WMV files then you do need to use
    NeroVisionExpress to author the program in the process creating the VOB, IFO
    and BUP files.

    I hope I have understood your post correctly and I'm not telling you how to
    suck eggs!!!!!

    Stuart, Apr 19, 2007
  7. Fake Name

    Fake Name Guest

    <snip>
    > use NeroExpress (not NeroVisionExpress)

    <snip>
    >I hope I have understood your post correctly and I'm not telling you how to
    >suck eggs!!!!!

    That was indeed the fix. Thank you very much. I still can't see a
    difference between the disk I created with Nero and the one I created
    with Nero Express but that was the fix. The two disks seemingly have
    the same number, name, and size of files. Obviously there is something
    different in one or more of the files or their relative positions.

    Cheers!

    BTW I've always loved the phrase about sucking eggs. It reminds me of
    reading C. S. Forester when I was a boy.

    Fake Name, Apr 19, 2007
  8. Fake Name

    Stuart Guest

    "Fake Name" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    >> use NeroExpress (not NeroVisionExpress)

    > <snip>
    >>I hope I have understood your post correctly and I'm not telling you how
    >>suck eggs!!!!!

    > That was indeed the fix. Thank you very much. I still can't see a
    > difference between the disk I created with Nero and the one I created
    > with Nero Express but that was the fix. The two disks seemingly have
    > the same number, name, and size of files. Obviously there is something
    > different in one or more of the files or their relative positions.
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > BTW I've always loved the phrase about sucking eggs. It reminds me of
    > reading C. S. Forester when I was a boy.

    I think you would need to go to www.videohelp.com and post your question re
    why DATA and DVD Video Files is different. It has something to do with the
    disc
    architecture (not the physical disc) but the way the information is laid
    out. But someone else with the technical knowledge could answer.

    Stuart, Apr 19, 2007
  9. Fake Name

    Telstar Guest

    "Stuart" <stuart?@whodunnit8.com> wrote in message

    > "Fake Name" <> wrote in message
    >> <snip>
    >>> use NeroExpress (not NeroVisionExpress)

    >> <snip>
    >>>I hope I have understood your post correctly and I'm not telling you how
    >>>suck eggs!!!!!

    >> That was indeed the fix. Thank you very much. I still can't see a
    >> difference between the disk I created with Nero and the one I created
    >> with Nero Express but that was the fix. The two disks seemingly have
    >> the same number, name, and size of files. Obviously there is something
    >> different in one or more of the files or their relative positions.
    >>
    >> Cheers!
    >>
    >> BTW I've always loved the phrase about sucking eggs. It reminds me of
    >> reading C. S. Forester when I was a boy.

    > I think you would need to go to www.videohelp.com and post your question
    > re
    > why DATA and DVD Video Files is different. It has something to do with the
    > disc
    > architecture (not the physical disc) but the way the information is laid
    > out. But someone else with the technical knowledge could answer.

    This last comment is correct. DVD Video discs have a very specific track
    architecture!

    Telstar, Apr 22, 2007