Making an external power supply for an XPC

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Stuart Albert, Jul 24, 2004.

  1. I have a Shuttle small form factor box that came with a 220 W power
    supply. I'm realizing quickly that this isn't enough power to run what
    I have inside (primarily an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro), and I am
    looking for options to upgrade. My idea is this: completely remove the
    power supply the case came with, and instead use a regular 350W +
    power supply and somehow put it outside of the box. I am wondering if
    it is possible to find male or female extension cables that are
    compatible with the molex, etc. cables that come out of the power
    supply, because as it stands now, most of the cables aren't long
    enough to snake into the case. I thought of making a hole in the top
    of the case with a dremel, but the wires still wouldn't be long enough
    to reach inside. Also, what are the grounding issues I should be aware
    of if I do have this sort of external supply?

    For your reference, I have this PC: http://tinyurl.com/348tw

    And this graphics card: http://tinyurl.com/zgns

    You can click on the images (or here http://tinyurl.com/6du3s ) to see
    the current power supply configuration...I envision that supply
    removed, and a series of longer wires snaking outside the box where
    they will connect to an external PSU.

    Anyone had any similar experiences? My graphics card is in the process
    of crashing hard, and I know it has something to do with being
    underpowered.

    Thanks in advance.
    Stuart Albert, Jul 24, 2004

  2. Stuart Albert

    Michael-NC Guest

    "The new 250-watt Silent X power supply makes its first appearance on the
    ST61G4. Shuttle claims it is the most advanced SFF power supply produced,
    with increased output, lighter weight, and much quieter operation than
    previous power supplies.

    "Developed under secrecy for over a year, the SilentX has proprietary
    high-efficiency design, providing more power with less heat output. Airflow
    and intake/exhaust vents have been optimized, resulting in less resistance
    and reduced turbulence in the airflow. Also, the power supply chassis has an
    all-aluminum design, significantly reducing weight."

    Apparently, Shuttle is receiving requests for even larger power supplies for
    their SFF systems, since the Silent X 250 is also available as an accessory
    to upgrade previous generation XPCs. Shuttle states that the 250 is
    compatible with 13 Shuttle models beginning with the SS40G."

    From http://www.anandtech.com/systems/showdoc.aspx?i=1949&p=2

    If that supply would fit, I'd go that way. What's the use of buying a SFF
    case and then using an external supply. It seems there are a lot of people
    running high end cards on those SFF units, maybe your PS is just a little
    twitchy.

    Michael-NC, Jul 24, 2004

  3. Stuart Albert

    Michael-NC Guest

    You may also be able to get a 1U PS in that chassis.

    Michael-NC, Jul 24, 2004