    please suggest what i should change so i can boot from the newly
    installed hard drive.

    any help much appreciated, thanks.

    hi2u, Jul 30, 2007

  2. hi2u

    Cub Guest

    Put the new drive on as master if not already and remover the original

    If the new drive boots ok add the original as slave

    Cub

    Cub, Jul 30, 2007

  3. hi2u

    Ron Martell Guest

    hi2u <> wrote:

    >hi, I am using windows XP.
    >
    >I recently installed a new hard drive, but also wanted to keep the old
    >one.
    >So i have now 2 copies of windows XP installed on 2 different hard
    >drives.
    >
    >I want to boot from the new hard drive it wont let me.
    >the old hard drive still boots fine.
    >
    >please suggest what i should change so i can boot from the newly
    >installed hard drive.
    >
    >any help much appreciated, thanks.

    If you installed Windows to the second hard drive with the first one
    still in place then it probably installed on that drive using drive
    letter D: and, more importantly, the basic boot files are all on your
    original hard drive (C:).

    In order to do what you want you will have to first remove the old
    hard drive (or at least disconnect the power and data cables) and
    configure your new hard drive as the master drive. Then you will
    have to reinstall Windows XP onto that drive.

    Once Windows is installed on the new drive and is booting properly you
    can then configure (using jumpers or cable select) the old drive as
    the slave drive (or connect it as the master drive on the secondary
    IDe channel). The old Windows installation will not be bootable or
    usable, but the files on the old drive will be accessible.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2008)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jul 30, 2007
  4. hi2u

    philo Guest

    "hi2u" <> wrote in message
    > hi, I am using windows XP.
    >
    > I recently installed a new hard drive, but also wanted to keep the old
    > one.
    > So i have now 2 copies of windows XP installed on 2 different hard
    > drives.
    >
    > I want to boot from the new hard drive it wont let me.
    > the old hard drive still boots fine.

    <snip>

    No matter which drive you install windows on...the boot files are always
    written to the first primary partition...

    So you need to install your new drive as master and reinstall XP onto it

    philo, Jul 30, 2007