    I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
    euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.

    Thanks for any help!

    Richard DeLuca, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Richard DeLuca <> wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
    >never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
    >jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
    >because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
    >
    >I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
    >MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
    >know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
    >appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
    >magic of which I'm not aware?

    Another possibility is letting others have a crack at working on
    them.

    If you can post them to a web site, or to a binary newsgroup,
    and then post a message here indicating where they are, my guess
    is that more than one or two people might download them and see
    what they can do.

    Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)

    Floyd L. Davidson, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Richard DeLuca

    Mark² Guest

    Richard DeLuca wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
    > and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a
    > few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
    > more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
    >
    > I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
    > MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc.
    > I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make
    > them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
    > secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
    >
    > I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
    > euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
    Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in Photoshop.
    My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest even number" is 2.
    :)

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 30, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:

    > Richard DeLuca <> wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
    > >never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
    > >jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
    > >because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
    > >
    > >I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
    > >MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
    > >know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
    > >appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
    > >magic of which I'm not aware?

    > Another possibility is letting others have a crack at working on
    > them.
    >
    > If you can post them to a web site, or to a binary newsgroup,
    > and then post a message here indicating where they are, my guess
    > is that more than one or two people might download them and see
    > what they can do.

    That's a good suggestion. if some here would be so kind as to help, they
    would have my gratitude. Someone wanna suggest a binary group for me to
    post them on?

    Richard DeLuca, Jan 30, 2007
  5. Richard DeLuca

    Mike Russell Guest

    "Richard DeLuca" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > (Floyd L. Davidson) wrote:
    >
    >> Richard DeLuca <> wrote:
    >> >Hi,
    >> >
    >> >I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
    >> >never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
    >> >jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
    >> >because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
    >> >
    >> >I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
    >> >MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
    >> >know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
    >> >appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
    >> >magic of which I'm not aware?

    >> Another possibility is letting others have a crack at working on
    >> them.
    >>
    >> If you can post them to a web site, or to a binary newsgroup,
    >> and then post a message here indicating where they are, my guess
    >> is that more than one or two people might download them and see
    >> what they can do.

    > That's a good suggestion. if some here would be so kind as to help, they
    > would have my gratitude. Someone wanna suggest a binary group for me to
    > post them on?

    Binary groups are slow and not available on all news servers. There are any
    number of free photo hosting sites - Flickr.com is among the best but there
    are others. You are also welcome to post it to the curvemeister discussion
    forum, where several people will give it a try.
    --
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Jan 30, 2007
  6. Richard DeLuca

    Rudy Benner Guest

    > Hi,
    >
    > I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
    > never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
    > jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
    > because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
    >
    > I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
    > MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
    > know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
    > appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
    > magic of which I'm not aware?
    >
    > I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
    > euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
    >
    > Thanks for any help!

    I love cats too, I do not know why, they are so contrary.

    I would be happy to post them on my server, that way others can have a look
    for you.

    email me; rudy @ rudybenner dot com

    Rudy Benner, Jan 30, 2007
  7. In article <>,
    "Rudy Benner" <> wrote:

    Thanks Rudy,

    I'll drop you a line.

    Richard DeLuca, Jan 30, 2007
  8. In article <ajxvh.9413$>,
    "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

    > E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
    > Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in Photoshop.
    > My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest even number" is 2.
    > :)

    Thank you Mark,

    I'll send you three or four if you don't mind. I can't thank you enough.

    Best Regards,
    Rich

    Richard DeLuca, Jan 30, 2007
  9. In article <ovxvh.39759$>,
    "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote:

    Mike,

    Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
    images to "Got an interesting image?"

    Best Regards,
    Rich

    Richard DeLuca, Jan 30, 2007
  10. Richard DeLuca

    Rudy Benner Guest

    http://rudybenner.com/utility/cat

    Rudy Benner, Jan 30, 2007
  11. Richard DeLuca

    Mike Russell Guest

    From: "Richard DeLuca" <>

    > In article <ovxvh.39759$>,
    > "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote:
    >
    > Mike,
    >
    > Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    > on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
    > images to "Got an interesting image?"

    Ouch - I'll fire up the old G4 and see about this Safari problem. Meantime,
    yes, post it to the interesting image section.
    ---
    Mike Russell
    www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Mike Russell, Jan 30, 2007
  12. Re: Making a jpeg look better? FULL STORY

    This delightful animal (Yum Yum was her name) was found along with four
    brothers and sisters and their mother one late winter day about five
    years ago. The kittens were about 12-14 weeks old at the time, really
    wild, and living behind an abandoned property. I got mom spayed and
    found homes for her and three of the kittens, keeping Yum Yum and one of
    her brothers. None of the kittens look alike, or like mom, if you can
    believe it. Our veterinarian at the time said that she couldn't believe
    how feral they were, and that maybe they would never make good pets- she
    couldn't have been more wrong. Yum Yum was the nicest animal I've ever
    known.

    Yum Yum looks totally siamese and her brother is just a domestic
    shorthair tigercat. The two have been inseparable.

    I first noticed on Christmas eve that Yum Yum wasn't eating well, which
    was odd because she always had a good appetite. After several visits to
    the veterinarian and a major veterinarian college, they discovered three
    tumors in her chest, and we were forced to put her to sleep on New
    Year's eve. I couldn't believe how rapidly she deteriorated in those
    few days. Her brother was tested completely at the same time, and is
    perfectly healthy. I'm grateful for that- I can't imagine losing them
    both. And just in case anyone here thinks cats are dumb, let me tell
    you that her brother is as lost as I am..........:-(

    I had just bought a decent digital camera a couple of months earlier,
    and had even taken what I regard as some nice pictures of her brother- I
    just hadn't been able to get to her yet. And once I discovered she was
    sick, I couldn't think of pictures any more. The only photos I have are
    a few I took of her as a kitten with a borrowed digital camera that
    wasn't capable of real photos.

    In article
    <-state.edu>,

    Richard DeLuca, Jan 30, 2007
  13. In article <6bzvh.23655$>,
    "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote:

    > From: "Richard DeLuca" <>
    >
    > > In article <ovxvh.39759$>,
    > > "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote:
    > >
    > > Mike,
    > >
    > > Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    > > on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
    > > images to "Got an interesting image?"

    > Ouch - I'll fire up the old G4 and see about this Safari problem. Meantime,
    > yes, post it to the interesting image section.
    > ---
    > Mike Russell
    > www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    I'll do that- thanks Mike!

    Richard DeLuca, Jan 30, 2007
  14. Richard DeLuca

    Mark² Guest

    Richard DeLuca wrote:
    > In article <ajxvh.9413$>,
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >

    >> E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
    >> Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in
    >> Photoshop. My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest
    >> even number" is 2. :)

    > Thank you Mark,
    >
    > I'll send you three or four if you don't mind. I can't thank you
    > enough.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Rich

    I got your pics, and will post them shortly.
    You're right...that their resolution and clarity will pose some challenges,
    but I think you could get some decent 5x7s out of some of these with a
    little work.

    Stand by for an URL...

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 30, 2007
  15. Richard DeLuca

    Mark² Guest

    Your kitty page is UP! :) Re: Making a jpeg look better than it really is?

    Mark² wrote:
    > Richard DeLuca wrote:
    >> In article <ajxvh.9413$>,
    >> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> E-mail them to me, and let me post them for you.
    >>> Then perhaps others here could try a bit of work on them in
    >>> Photoshop. My e-mail works...provided that you assume the "lowest
    >>> even number" is 2. :)

    >> Thank you Mark,
    >>
    >> I'll send you three or four if you don't mind. I can't thank you
    >> enough.
    >>
    >> Best Regards,
    >> Rich

    > I got your pics, and will post them shortly.
    > You're right...that their resolution and clarity will pose some
    > challenges, but I think you could get some decent 5x7s out of some of
    > these with a little work.
    >
    > Stand by for an URL...

    Here's the URL for your kitty images.
    Anyone care to take a shot at these?
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat
    :)

    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 30, 2007
  16. Richard DeLuca

    Mark² Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "Richard DeLuca" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
    >> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are
    >> a few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the
    >> more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
    >>
    >> I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on
    >> my MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask,
    >> etc. I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to
    >> make them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any
    >> secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
    >>
    >> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
    >> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
    >>
    >> Thanks for any help!

    > I love cats too, I do not know why, they are so contrary.
    >
    > I would be happy to post them on my server, that way others can have
    > a look for you.
    >
    > email me; rudy @ rudybenner dot com

    They're already up here:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat
    :)
    The more the merrier...

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 30, 2007
  17. Richard DeLuca

    Mark² Guest

    Rudy Benner wrote:
    > "Rudy Benner" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Richard DeLuca" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young
    >>> and I never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are
    >>> a few jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All
    >>> the more sad because, although she was a stray, she was really
    >>> gorgeous. I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic
    >>> Converter on
    >>> my MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask,
    >>> etc. I know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way
    >>> to make them appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them?
    >>> Any secrets or magic of which I'm not aware?
    >>>
    >>> I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
    >>> euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks for any help!

    >> I love cats too, I do not know why, they are so contrary.
    >>
    >> I would be happy to post them on my server, that way others can have
    >> a look
    >> for you.
    >>
    >> email me; rudy @ rudybenner dot com
    >>

    > http://rudybenner.com/utility/cat

    Also here, on pbase:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat
    If anyone cares to try editing them, just e-mail your edits to me and I'll
    post them to the above page.
    -Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 30, 2007
  18. Richard DeLuca

    Mark² Guest

    Mike Russell wrote:
    > From: "Richard DeLuca" <>
    >
    >> In article <ovxvh.39759$>,
    >> "Mike Russell" <-MOVE> wrote:
    >>
    >> Mike,
    >>
    >> Thanks. I first tried to get to www.curvemeister.com/forum/
    >> on Safari- didn't work. Firefox works fine however. Do I post the
    >> images to "Got an interesting image?"

    > Ouch - I'll fire up the old G4 and see about this Safari problem.
    > Meantime, yes, post it to the interesting image section.
    > ---
    > Mike Russell
    > www.curvemeister.com/forum/

    Go here:
    http://www.pbase.com/markuson/richard_delucas_cat
    I just put them up on my pbase account...

    Mark²

    www.pbase.com/markuson

    Mark², Jan 30, 2007
  19. If you would like to send me what you have, I can see what I can do for you.
    You can send them to: twenty_bucks(at)hotmail(dot)com.

    Please replace the (at) with @ and the (dot) with .

    Thanks,

    ljc

    --
    Do not assume that because I didn't reply to your comments that you are
    correct or that I am wrong or that I am correct and your are wrong. You

    Little Juice Coupe, Jan 30, 2007
  20. Richard DeLuca wrote:

    > I had to put my cat to sleep three weeks ago. She died very young and I
    > never got really decent pictures of her. All that I have are a few
    > jpegs that are 480 by 640 and about 70 to 80 kb each. All the more sad
    > because, although she was a stray, she was really gorgeous.
    >
    > I've done a little manipulating of images with Graphic Converter on my
    > MAC, but haven't progressed beyond things like an unsharp mask, etc. I
    > know I can't really make them sharper, but is there a way to make them
    > appear sharp enough to get maybe 4X6 prints from them? Any secrets or
    > magic of which I'm not aware?

    I did some work with old web-resolution images off various people's
    computers for the memorial of a friend late last year. Ordinary "photo
    restoration" techniques can do quite well. Your odds for getting a
    decent 4x6 print, with work, are actually quite good.

    If they are decent but small jpegs, I'd play with some modest
    upsampling, maybe step-upsampling, and get the curves *just right*, and
    see what they'd print as.

    > I'm really heartsick over the loss of this animal, and Barbaro's
    > euthanasia today just wounds me all over again.

    I am amazingly emotional about the silly little beasts. They really get
    their hooks into my heart.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Jan 30, 2007