Making a computer case

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Wilma Fingerdo, Dec 16, 2008.

  1. We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than things
    on the market today.

    The case would be a Mid-Sized ATX case - best setup internally you can
    have (easy to access drive bays and lots of room for components.

    The case would be faced with Anodized Aluminum Laser etched, and CNC
    machined to be a quality, sturdy case.

    We were also thinking of the same high-quality concept with "machined"
    wood facing, with a gloss finish.

    The case would support liquid cooling if the user wanted.

    I just look at the cases today, and a lot of them are junk. I spend a
    lot of time looking at my computer, and want something I don't have to
    hide under a desk.

    Can I please get some thoughts and opinions on this?

    Thanks,

    Wilma
     
    Wilma Fingerdo, Dec 16, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Wilma Fingerdo" <> wrote in message
    news:4947e3b9$0$586$4all.se...
    > We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than things on
    > the market today.
    >
    > The case would be a Mid-Sized ATX case - best setup internally you can
    > have (easy to access drive bays and lots of room for components.
    >
    > The case would be faced with Anodized Aluminum Laser etched, and CNC
    > machined to be a quality, sturdy case.
    >
    > We were also thinking of the same high-quality concept with "machined"
    > wood facing, with a gloss finish.
    >
    > The case would support liquid cooling if the user wanted.
    >
    > I just look at the cases today, and a lot of them are junk. I spend a lot
    > of time looking at my computer, and want something I don't have to hide
    > under a desk.
    >
    > Can I please get some thoughts and opinions on this?
    >


    My thoughts and opinions are that you need to buy a case off the shelf if
    you need to ask us for thoughts and opinions. My thought is that you are
    reinventing the wheel, you need to know how to draw a circle without asking
    for help if you want to take on the task. I do not know what the mfg. costs
    are to build a box, but it occurs to me that you'll need to make thousands
    of them just to cover those costs.

    The reason to put your computer under the desk is to free up space on the
    desk for more important stuff that does not do very well hidden under your
    desk. The computer tower is a device that if you don't use the CD/DVD very
    often will live under the desk just fine for many years.
     
    Jeff Strickland, Dec 16, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    > "Wilma Fingerdo" <> wrote in message
    > news:4947e3b9$0$586$4all.se...
    >> We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than things
    >> on the market today.
    >>
    >> The case would be a Mid-Sized ATX case - best setup internally you can
    >> have (easy to access drive bays and lots of room for components.
    >>
    >> The case would be faced with Anodized Aluminum Laser etched, and CNC
    >> machined to be a quality, sturdy case.
    >>
    >> We were also thinking of the same high-quality concept with "machined"
    >> wood facing, with a gloss finish.
    >>
    >> The case would support liquid cooling if the user wanted.
    >>
    >> I just look at the cases today, and a lot of them are junk. I spend a
    >> lot of time looking at my computer, and want something I don't have to
    >> hide under a desk.
    >>
    >> Can I please get some thoughts and opinions on this?
    >>

    >
    > My thoughts and opinions are that you need to buy a case off the shelf
    > if you need to ask us for thoughts and opinions. My thought is that you
    > are reinventing the wheel, you need to know how to draw a circle without
    > asking for help if you want to take on the task. I do not know what the
    > mfg. costs are to build a box, but it occurs to me that you'll need to
    > make thousands of them just to cover those costs.
    >
    > The reason to put your computer under the desk is to free up space on
    > the desk for more important stuff that does not do very well hidden
    > under your desk. The computer tower is a device that if you don't use
    > the CD/DVD very often will live under the desk just fine for many years.
    >
    >


    I will be using an off-the shelf case chassis, just re-facing it to look
    better.
     
    Wilma Fingerdo, Dec 16, 2008
    #3
  4. Wilma Fingerdo

    gnu / linux Guest

    On Dec 16, 12:30 pm, Wilma Fingerdo <> wrote:
    > Jeff Strickland wrote:
    >
    > > "Wilma Fingerdo" <> wrote in message
    > >news:4947e3b9$0$586$4all.se...
    > >> We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than things
    > >> on the market today.

    >
    > >> The case would be a Mid-Sized ATX case - best setup internally you can
    > >> have (easy to access drive bays and lots of room for components.

    >
    > >> The case would be faced with Anodized Aluminum Laser etched, and CNC
    > >> machined to be a quality, sturdy case.

    >
    > >> We were also thinking of the same high-quality concept with "machined"
    > >> wood facing, with a gloss finish.

    >
    > >> The case would support liquid cooling if the user wanted.

    >
    > >> I just look at the cases today, and a lot of them are junk.  I spend a
    > >> lot of time looking at my computer, and want something I don't have to
    > >> hide under a desk.

    >
    > >> Can I please get some thoughts and opinions on this?

    >
    > > My thoughts and opinions are that you need to buy a case off the shelf
    > > if you need to ask us for thoughts and opinions. My thought is that you
    > > are reinventing the wheel, you need to know how to draw a circle without
    > > asking for help if you want to take on the task. I do not know what the
    > > mfg. costs are to build a box, but it occurs to me that you'll need to
    > > make thousands of them just to cover those costs.

    >
    > > The reason to put your computer under the desk is to free up space on
    > > the desk for more important stuff that does not do very well hidden
    > > under your desk. The computer tower is a device that if you don't use
    > > the CD/DVD very often will live under the desk just fine for many years..

    >
    > I will be using an off-the shelf case chassis, just re-facing it to look
    > better.


    how big a factor is cost - checked toms ?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-28-175.html
     
    gnu / linux, Dec 16, 2008
    #4
  5. Wilma Fingerdo

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 16, 9:21 am, Wilma Fingerdo <> wrote:
    > We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than things
    > on the market today.
    >
    > The case would be a Mid-Sized ATX case - best setup internally you can
    > have (easy to access drive bays and lots of room for components.
    >
    > The case would be faced with Anodized Aluminum Laser etched, and CNC
    > machined to be a quality, sturdy case.
    >
    > We were also thinking of the same high-quality concept with "machined"
    > wood facing, with a gloss finish.
    >
    > The case would support liquid cooling if the user wanted.
    >
    > I just look at the cases today, and a lot of them are junk.  I spend a
    > lot of time looking at my computer, and want something I don't have to
    > hide under a desk.
    >
    > Can I please get some thoughts and opinions on this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Wilma


    "We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than
    things
    on the market today". - Like what? An example please.
    (If you DO give an example......it's been done before. Right?)
    "The case would be faced with Anodized Aluminum Laser etched, and CNC
    machined to be a quality, sturdy case."
    1)Anodized Aluminum Laser etched- Why? Added cost.
    2)"CNC machined to be a quality, sturdy case." .....you have now
    topped £300....& that's withOUT screws!!
    3)"sturdy case.".........Why? No-one really plays rugby with PC case's
    do they? It usually lies outa sight under a desk.
    "The case would support liquid cooling if the user
    wanted." .......surely anyone with half a cell would know if they were
    going to have liquid cooling .....ergo... they would buy one (cheaper)
    more suited to their needs than your "space-traveller" job.
    If I were you (and I'm glad I'm NOT) I'd concentrate on solving one
    problem at a time, Wilma Fingerdo.......or your NEW name may just
    evolve to Wilma Finger DON'T Do.
    IE: "In a hydronic floor heat system, what is the best way to heat the
    water in the pex tubing?"
    This one is still pending!!! :)
    Oh, and PS. Who is "we" in the deal?
     
    sandy58, Dec 16, 2008
    #5
  6. Wilma Fingerdo

    Paul Guest

    Wilma Fingerdo wrote:
    > We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than things
    > on the market today.


    Study a company like Antec. Not for the products themselves, but
    for the way they've broken them down into market segments. They
    already have a case with mirror-like finish. They have "ugly"
    cases, for people who want to be different. They have cases
    where they've tried their best to make them quiet (for HTPC
    applications).

    http://www.antec.com/usa/pro_enclosures.php?PC=Enclosures

    For a company like Lian-Li, it is less obvious that interior
    features are a selling point. They're mostly aesthetic, and
    selected materials for looks. And frankly, seeing some of
    their products on display in a local computer store years ago,
    I was less than impressed - boxes were "wobbly". A case should
    have enough mass and rigidity, such that hard drive vibration
    doesn't resonate. This is one reason, why a little more mass and
    usage of steel, can make a better box.

    http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/contact_us/index1.php

    You cannot hope to beat the competition, unless you understand
    how they think, and do the job better than them. If you just
    run off into the woods, and make a piece of "art", you're
    guaranteed to fail. These companies have already done
    all the marketing studies, using the old fashioned
    "this isn't selling" approach. And you cannot afford
    to do that. You have to get it right on the first try.

    On this Newegg page, there are 838 different cases for sale. The
    number of review comments, will give you some idea how popular
    they are. You can sort by "Most Reviews" using the pulldown
    menu item.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007&Subcategory=7

    This one has ~3500 reviews. So there is something about this
    case that is selling. It's an aesthetic disaster, but you'd
    better read the reviews and understand why it is selling.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021

    Then search for a "wooden box", if one even exists, and see
    how many reviews it got.

    The second most popular one, is selling on price. Only $50.

    Etc.

    Marketing study first, CNC later.

    This one cost over $500 and has zero reviews :)

    COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 CX-830SGWO-01-GP Color Aluminum ATX Full Tower
    CSX Limited Edition Shag Wagon Orange Computer Case - Retail

    http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-119-172-S03?$S640W$

    Paul
     
    Paul, Dec 16, 2008
    #6
  7. Paul wrote:
    > Wilma Fingerdo wrote:
    >> We want to make an upscale computer case that looks better than things
    >> on the market today.

    >
    > Study a company like Antec. Not for the products themselves, but
    > for the way they've broken them down into market segments. They
    > already have a case with mirror-like finish. They have "ugly"
    > cases, for people who want to be different. They have cases
    > where they've tried their best to make them quiet (for HTPC
    > applications).
    >
    > http://www.antec.com/usa/pro_enclosures.php?PC=Enclosures
    >
    > For a company like Lian-Li, it is less obvious that interior
    > features are a selling point. They're mostly aesthetic, and
    > selected materials for looks. And frankly, seeing some of
    > their products on display in a local computer store years ago,
    > I was less than impressed - boxes were "wobbly". A case should
    > have enough mass and rigidity, such that hard drive vibration
    > doesn't resonate. This is one reason, why a little more mass and
    > usage of steel, can make a better box.
    >
    > http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/contact_us/index1.php
    >
    > You cannot hope to beat the competition, unless you understand
    > how they think, and do the job better than them. If you just
    > run off into the woods, and make a piece of "art", you're
    > guaranteed to fail. These companies have already done
    > all the marketing studies, using the old fashioned
    > "this isn't selling" approach. And you cannot afford
    > to do that. You have to get it right on the first try.
    >
    > On this Newegg page, there are 838 different cases for sale. The
    > number of review comments, will give you some idea how popular
    > they are. You can sort by "Most Reviews" using the pulldown
    > menu item.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010090007&Subcategory=7
    >
    >
    > This one has ~3500 reviews. So there is something about this
    > case that is selling. It's an aesthetic disaster, but you'd
    > better read the reviews and understand why it is selling.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021
    >
    > Then search for a "wooden box", if one even exists, and see
    > how many reviews it got.
    >
    > The second most popular one, is selling on price. Only $50.
    >
    > Etc.
    >
    > Marketing study first, CNC later.
    >
    > This one cost over $500 and has zero reviews :)
    >
    > COOLER MASTER Stacker 830 CX-830SGWO-01-GP Color Aluminum ATX Full Tower
    > CSX Limited Edition Shag Wagon Orange Computer Case - Retail
    >
    > http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-119-172-S03?$S640W$
    >
    > Paul


    Thank you paul for your input on this. I haven't found any wood cases
    at all besides the "plywood" homemade type. We have picked a steel
    frame to work from. I will post a rendered mock-up of the case with the
    wood front when I complete the drawing.

    -Wilma
     
    Wilma Fingerdo, Dec 18, 2008
    #7
  8. Wilma Fingerdo

    Paul Guest

    Wilma Fingerdo wrote:

    >
    > Thank you paul for your input on this. I haven't found any wood cases
    > at all besides the "plywood" homemade type. We have picked a steel
    > frame to work from. I will post a rendered mock-up of the case with the
    > wood front when I complete the drawing.
    >
    > -Wilma


    I don't disagree with the notion of making boutique computer cases.
    There will always be a market for custom designs. Even in tough
    economic times, you'll sell a few. It all depends on whether that
    few, is enough to put bread on the table.

    For example, there are guys who appear to make a few bucks from
    selling water cooling components, or making custom multistage
    cooling systems. If you want to get a feeling for where the money
    is, visit this site. People here have money to spend.

    Vapor phase cooling. One cooler cost $5K to construct from scratch,
    and had many hours of labor to get it right.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=80

    Computer cases.

    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=101

    Paul
     
    Paul, Dec 18, 2008
    #8
  9. Wilma Fingerdo

    Case-Solved

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Santa Monica, CA
    Case Solved

    Hi I can relate to your quandary in a big way. We are launching an upscale computer case that is tricked out with a built in USB hub command center, docking station and a bunch of cool stuff. It will be made an in USA and marketed as an upscale luxury item in the Pacific Rim and Europe.

    You can check it out at the web site http://www.Case-solved.com Any feedback would be great, Thanks.
     
    Case-Solved, Jul 14, 2011
    #9
  10. Wilma Fingerdo

    Case-Solved

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Location:
    Santa Monica, CA
    Oops. Looks like the thread is about desktops. I am referring to a laptop case in my previous reply.
     
    Case-Solved, Jul 14, 2011
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Phil-on-a-hill

    Is my computer making me ill?

    Phil-on-a-hill, Sep 21, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,129
    Patrick
    Sep 21, 2003
  2. Ray
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,034
  3. docdude316

    Making Custom DVD Case Artwork.

    docdude316, Dec 31, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    986
    DavesVideo
    Jan 5, 2005
  4. Jene Keller
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    539
  5. Ed Margiewicz
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    330
Loading...

Share This Page