Making a call through instant messaging

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Blueys, Sep 7, 2007.

  1. Blueys

    Blueys Guest

    Making a call through instant messaging

    Instant messaging through MSN or AOL is easy. Making an internet
    relay
    through an instant messenger might be a better option than a call
    through the NRS website.
    If you:

    are familiar with instant messaging
    want to make a call from a 3G mobile phone, or
    have an older computer, older operating system, limited computer
    memory or limited bandwidth
    have problems running or downloading Java.
    then internet relay through instant messenging is probably best for
    you.

    To make a call
    1. Open the messenger application and add - nrsiprelay @
    iprelay.com.au - as a contact for MSN, or nrsiprelay to your buddy
    list for AOL.

    2. Send an instant message to your new contact/buddy by typing 'call'
    into the conversation window and pressing Send.

    3. Click on the link shown on the next page and type the text you see
    above the security box into the box.

    4. Click ?Connect', close the window when prompted, and enter the
    area
    code and number you want.

    5. Once connected to the relay officer you can type any instructions
    in the message window.

    How it works
    Once you are connected, the relay officer will ring the person you
    want to call, and you can then start typing your side of the
    conversation in the message window.

    When you have finished the first block of text, just click 'Send'.

    The relay officer becomes ?your voice' and reads aloud to the person
    you are calling what you type on your computer, then listens to what
    the other person says and types it back for you to read.

    "GA" - Go Ahead "SK" Stop Keying "RO" Relay Officer

    Example:

    ****

    RO Smith, the number is ringing... Hello ( f ) or ( m ) GA
    Hello this is Bob how are you GA
    I'm fine thank you and I'll come over asap goodbye for now sksk
    "Your call is now finished and you are no longer connected to the
    NRS."
    Blueys, Sep 7, 2007

  2. Blueys

    ceed Guest

    Blueys wrote:

    > Making a call through instant messaging
    >
    > Instant messaging through MSN or AOL is easy. Making an internet
    > relay
    > through an instant messenger might be a better option than a call
    > through the NRS website.
    > If you:
    >

    > are familiar with instant messaging
    > want to make a call from a 3G mobile phone, or
    > have an older computer, older operating system, limited computer
    > memory or limited bandwidth
    > have problems running or downloading Java.
    > then internet relay through instant messenging is probably best for
    > you.
    >

    > To make a call
    > 1. Open the messenger application and add - nrsiprelay @
    > iprelay.com.au - as a contact for MSN, or nrsiprelay to your buddy
    > list for AOL.
    >

    > 2. Send an instant message to your new contact/buddy by typing 'call'
    > into the conversation window and pressing Send.
    >

    > 3. Click on the link shown on the next page and type the text you see
    > above the security box into the box.
    >

    > 4. Click ?Connect', close the window when prompted, and enter the
    > area
    > code and number you want.
    >

    > 5. Once connected to the relay officer you can type any instructions
    > in the message window.
    >

    > How it works
    > Once you are connected, the relay officer will ring the person you
    > want to call, and you can then start typing your side of the
    > conversation in the message window.
    >

    > When you have finished the first block of text, just click 'Send'.
    >

    > The relay officer becomes ?your voice' and reads aloud to the person
    > you are calling what you type on your computer, then listens to what
    > the other person says and types it back for you to read.
    >

    > "GA" - Go Ahead "SK" Stop Keying "RO" Relay Officer
    >

    > Example:
    >

    > ****
    >

    > RO Smith, the number is ringing... Hello ( f ) or ( m ) GA
    > Hello this is Bob how are you GA
    > I'm fine thank you and I'll come over asap goodbye for now sksk
    > "Your call is now finished and you are no longer connected to the
    > NRS."

    I just wonder why I would go through all this trouble when I call
    overseas with Mino (Minowireless.com) for 2c per minute from my mobile
    phone? Am I missing something here?

    --
    //ceed
    ceed, Sep 7, 2007

  3. ceed wrote:
    > Blueys wrote:
    >
    >> Making a call through instant messaging
    >>
    >> Instant messaging through MSN or AOL is easy. Making an internet
    >> relay
    >> through an instant messenger might be a better option than a call
    >> through the NRS website.
    >> If you:
    >>

    >> are familiar with instant messaging
    >> want to make a call from a 3G mobile phone, or
    >> have an older computer, older operating system, limited computer
    >> memory or limited bandwidth
    >> have problems running or downloading Java.
    >> then internet relay through instant messenging is probably best for
    >> you.
    >>

    >> To make a call
    >> 1. Open the messenger application and add - nrsiprelay @
    >> iprelay.com.au - as a contact for MSN, or nrsiprelay to your buddy
    >> list for AOL.
    >>

    >> 2. Send an instant message to your new contact/buddy by typing 'call'
    >> into the conversation window and pressing Send.
    >>

    >> 3. Click on the link shown on the next page and type the text you see
    >> above the security box into the box.
    >>

    >> 4. Click ?Connect', close the window when prompted, and enter the
    >> area
    >> code and number you want.
    >>

    >> 5. Once connected to the relay officer you can type any instructions
    >> in the message window.
    >>

    >> How it works
    >> Once you are connected, the relay officer will ring the person you
    >> want to call, and you can then start typing your side of the
    >> conversation in the message window.
    >>

    >> When you have finished the first block of text, just click 'Send'.
    >>

    >> The relay officer becomes ?your voice' and reads aloud to the person
    >> you are calling what you type on your computer, then listens to what
    >> the other person says and types it back for you to read.
    >>

    >> "GA" - Go Ahead "SK" Stop Keying "RO" Relay Officer
    >>

    >> Example:
    >>

    >> ****
    >>

    >> RO Smith, the number is ringing... Hello ( f ) or ( m ) GA
    >> Hello this is Bob how are you GA
    >> I'm fine thank you and I'll come over asap goodbye for now sksk
    >> "Your call is now finished and you are no longer connected to the
    >> NRS."

    > I just wonder why I would go through all this trouble when I call
    > overseas with Mino (Minowireless.com) for 2c per minute from my mobile
    > phone? Am I missing something here?

    Apparently the need to complicate something simple. :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Sep 7, 2007