    process of installing various programs one
    by one.

    Thanx/NSP
    n o s p a m p l e a s e, Oct 5, 2007

  2. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Larry Guest

    http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilities/backupandimage.shtml
    Larry, Oct 5, 2007

  3. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Candy Applez Guest

    by the time you burn 6-7 dvds for Vista image, you would be better off
    reinstallling'

    Candy Applez, Oct 5, 2007
  4. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    ded Guest

    > My OS is Vista Home Premium. Is there a *freeware* solution to make a
    > bootable image of hard drive so that in future if I have to reformat,
    > I can use the image. This will save me from going into the arduous
    > process of installing various programs one
    > by one.
    >
    > Thanx/NSP

    The best method is to create a cloned/mirror/ghost image,
    this is saved to a seperate HD or partition, though you can create
    the image across DVD's, but a Vista configuration will require
    several, and using DVD for the imaging is a clumsy process.
    But as for *freeware* versions for Vista.........???

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_cloning
    http://www.sharewareconnection.com/titles/clone-hard-drive.htm

    There are plenty of imaging freeware for XP, this is a Vista
    download site, have a rummage:
    http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/download-hard-drive-to-dvd-software.html
    ded, Oct 5, 2007
  5. On Oct 5, 4:39 pm, "ded" <> wrote:
    > "n o s p a m p l e a s e" <> wrote in messagenews:...
    >
    > > My OS is Vista Home Premium. Is there a *freeware* solution to make a
    > > bootable image of hard drive so that in future if I have to reformat,
    > > I can use the image. This will save me from going into the arduous
    > > process of installing various programs one
    > > by one.

    > > Thanx/NSP

    > The best method is to create a cloned/mirror/ghost image,
    > this is saved to a seperate HD or partition, though you can create
    > the image across DVD's, but a Vista configuration will require
    > several, and using DVD for the imaging is a clumsy process.
    > But as for *freeware* versions for Vista.........???

    Your advice is well taken but how I can restore it when I need it. I
    have never done it before. I have always format the disk using Windows
    CD. I need to understand how I can do it from a partition. But before
    that how I can create such a partition. Is there anything in Vista
    Home Premium that lets me create such a partition.

    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_c...areconnection.com/titles/clone-hard-drive.htm
    >
    > There are plenty of imaging freeware for XP, this is a Vista
    > download site, have a rummage:http://www.bestvistadownloads.com/download-hard-drive-to-dvd-software...

    Thanx. I will loo at these links.

    NSP
    n o s p a m p l e a s e, Oct 6, 2007
  6. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    ded Guest

    "n o s p a m p l e a s e" <> wrote
    >Snip

    > Your advice is well taken but how I can restore it when I need it. I
    > have never done it before. I have always format the disk using Windows
    > CD. I need to understand how I can do it from a partition. But before
    > that how I can create such a partition. Is there anything in Vista
    > Home Premium that lets me create such a partition.

    Creating a partition on an existing system drive is a no-no, google:
    "creating partition, Vista" and you'll get plenty of hits and heaps of
    reading. Partitions on one/same drive are created at installation.
    The easiest and safest of all options, is a seperate drive, the obvious
    benefit being if the drive with system installed has a hardware failure
    the back-up image is safe on a seperate drive - internal or external.
    I don't run Vista, so unknown if it has the facility to create partitions.
    But clone/image/ghost software have the facility to create a partition
    on a drive. And such software, once the seperate drive's partitions
    have been created, will allocate a partition and create the image.
    The setup/configuration wizard for such software is easy, you just
    allocate what drive (C) the reset image would be copied over to if
    needed.
    Software such as Acronis, Norton Ghost etc, once a image has been
    created, within that folder on the back up partition is an icon, double-
    clicking it produces a warning that you are about to re-set etc.
    You just click to agree and the software does the rest.
    The only thing I can't tell you is if any freeware clone/ghost software
    exists for Vista.
    ded, Oct 6, 2007