Make Win 7 play videos your way

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Carlos, Mar 7, 2009.

  1. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Win 7 brings embedded decoders for many popular video compression formats
    (Divx, Xvid and others).
    Good job, but... for those of us who prefer another decoders with extended
    capabilities (post processing, subtitles, etc.) there is no easy way to
    choose your favorite one.
    So this is a do it at your own (very low) risk workaround.
    Take ownership of these 6 filles.
    C>windows>system32
    MP4SDECD.DLL
    MP43DECD.DLL
    MPG4DECD.DLL
    C>windows>sysWow64
    MP4SDECD.DLL
    MP43DECD.DLL
    MPG4DECD.DLL
    and rename them to something else.
    Pls don't be too creative, just add ".bak" to the extension in case you want
    to roll back.
    Now install your favorite x86 and x64 decoder.
    I use ffdshowx86 and ffdshowx64 downloadable from here:
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow-tryout/
    Now click any compressed *.avi you have in your PC.
    The ffdshow icon will show up in systray showing that he is back in business
    and handling the decoding chores.
    :)
    Carlos
    P.S.: If you don't know what I'm talking about, just do nothing.

    Carlos, Mar 7, 2009

  2. Carlos

    Kue2 Guest

    Lol Love the last line of your post {:-}}}}}.you just broke me
    up........ROTFLMAO

    Kue2, Mar 7, 2009

  3. Kue2 <> wrote:
    > Lol Love the last line of your post {:-}}}}}.you just broke me
    > up........ROTFLMAO

    Wow, you're easily amused. :)
    However, you've just done the spammer a favor by not snipping out all his
    cr@p when you replied.

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 8, 2009
  4. You must be new here.

    Carlos is not a spammer, he is one of the regulars!

    Bobby Johnson, Mar 8, 2009
  5. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I deeply regret your having considered my post as spam.
    Win 7 x64 has still no NG (to my knowledge) and I usually post my
    experiences hoping that they may be useful to others, before the question
    arises.
    The possibility of adding subtitles to movies may not be necessary in USA
    but is a must in non-English countries.
    Kue2, the "amused" guy is also one of the regulars and knows also how to
    read between the lines in my posts.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 8, 2009
  6. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    Thanks for your support!
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 8, 2009
  7. Carlos

    jabloomf1230 Guest

    Doesn't Windows 7 still use DirectShow filter merits? If not, I can see
    renaming the decoders. But if it does, it would be easier just to give
    your favorite decoder a higher merit.

    jabloomf1230, Mar 9, 2009
  8. Carlos

    Dave Warren Guest

    In message <#> "Lanwench [MVP -
    Exchange]" <>
    was claimed to have wrote:

    >Kue2 <> wrote:
    >> Lol Love the last line of your post {:-}}}}}.you just broke me
    >> up........ROTFLMAO

    >Wow, you're easily amused. :)
    >However, you've just done the spammer a favor by not snipping out all his
    >cr@p when you replied.

    Spammer? huh?

    It looked like a pretty valid tech tip, and the only URL was to a open
    source (read: free) product which certainly doesn't advertise or benefit
    from this, so I'm having trouble grasping what you're getting at here.

    Getting codecs working in general in x64 is always a bit of a pain and
    while it will be nice for most users to not need to stress about it for
    several common types, having codecs built-in makes life a little more
    complex for those of us who choose to install our own.

    Dave Warren, Mar 9, 2009
  9. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Been there, done that.
    I can move ffdshow filter merit slider to the end but somehow Win 7 doesn't
    care about that.
    I have posted this subject after two months of investigation. The best
    thread I found was in Australia
    (http://www.xpmediacentre.com.au/com...34589-subtitles-avi-divx-xvid-7mc-solved.html)
    and only a few days ago I found this workaround.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 9, 2009
  10. Carlos

    swarfega Guest

    Or you could install the windows 7 codec pack which is a 3rd party free set
    of codecs: http://shark007.net/win7codecs.html

    __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3917 (20090307) __________

    http://www.eset.com

    swarfega, Mar 9, 2009
  11. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    You are quite right.
    I just mentioned ffdshow because it is my favorite but the Win 7 codec pack
    is a valid alternative.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 9, 2009
  12. Bobby Johnson <> wrote:
    > You must be new here.
    >
    > Carlos is not a spammer, he is one of the regulars!
    >

    > Lanwench [MVP - Exchange] wrote:
    >> Kue2 <> wrote:
    >>> Lol Love the last line of your post {:-}}}}}.you just broke me
    >>> up........ROTFLMAO

    >> Wow, you're easily amused. :)
    >> However, you've just done the spammer a favor by not snipping out
    >> all his cr@p when you replied.

    My apologies. I do lurk in here from time to time but don't know the
    regulars. I was in newsgroup policing mode and I'm very sorry for jumping
    the gun, Carlos.

    <tips hat>

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 9, 2009
  13. Carlos

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    No problems, man!
    We all make mistakes from time to time.
    My wife always reminds me that's what the masculine gender is for.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 9, 2009
  14. Carlos <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > No problems, man!
    > We all make mistakes from time to time.
    > My wife always reminds me that's what the masculine gender is for.
    > :)
    > Carlos

    Funny; that's exactly what I tell my husband. ;-p

    Lanwench [MVP - Exchange], Mar 9, 2009
  15. Carlos

    ashrack

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    Have registered to this forum just to give you the heads up. That you also have to remove/rename:
    msmpeg2vdec.dll
    which is responsible for playing MKV files.

    ashrack, Oct 22, 2009