    format) using the exif info in the file.

    Anybody got any ideas how I can do this?

    sean

    sean darcy, Aug 20, 2004

  2. sean darcy

    Frank ess Guest

    sean darcy wrote:
    > I've got a whole bunch 0f jpeg files named dscxxxxxx.jpg. I want to
    > change each file name to yy.mm.dd.hh.jpg ( or any other reasonable
    > format) using the exif info in the file.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas how I can do this?
    >
    > sean

    I have two solutions on my machine: Cam2PC and JHead, both free last
    time I looked.

    Cam to PC is a windows program that you can set to activate when a
    memory card is plugged in to your reader, or your camera is plugged in
    to your computer. It will convert filenames into any extracted exif info
    you designate, as the download takes place. And it will do a lot of
    other things I haven't explored.

    JHead is a command-line program that will do all that too. I have a
    little batch file

    NIKON2DATE.BAT = " jhead -nf%%Y_%%m_%%d_%%H%%M%%S dscn*.jpg "

    and the jhead.exe in my "incoming" file folders. Once the files are in
    place, a two-click on the batch file converts the file names from
    "DSCNxxxx" to "2004-08_20_152409", the last six digits being the time of
    day as known by your camera at the moment of exposure. Very little
    chance of duplicates that way. Renamed by date and time, the files can
    be transferred wherever your favorite folder system will accommodate
    them best.

    The Jhead download contains the complete format for choosing output
    characteristics, including image rotation, and much more. You can make a
    batch file for each of your camera types, accounting for the filename
    assigned by the camera, just by changing the descriptors in the .jpg
    section, *e.g.*, PICT*.jpg, *etc*.

    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Aug 20, 2004

  3. sean darcy wrote:
    > I've got a whole bunch 0f jpeg files named dscxxxxxx.jpg. I want to
    > change each file name to yy.mm.dd.hh.jpg ( or any other reasonable
    > format) using the exif info in the file.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas how I can do this?
    >
    > sean

    Picture Information Extractor - PIE

    http://www.picmeta.com

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Aug 21, 2004
  4. sean darcy <> writes:

    > I've got a whole bunch 0f jpeg files named dscxxxxxx.jpg. I want to
    > change each file name to yy.mm.dd.hh.jpg ( or any other reasonable
    > format) using the exif info in the file.
    >
    > Anybody got any ideas how I can do this?

    Siren file rename (freeware).
    <http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rplr/scarabee/en/Siren.htm>

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 21, 2004
  5. On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:38:53 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >sean darcy <> writes:
    >
    >> I've got a whole bunch 0f jpeg files named dscxxxxxx.jpg. I want to
    >> change each file name to yy.mm.dd.hh.jpg ( or any other reasonable
    >> format) using the exif info in the file.
    >>
    >> Anybody got any ideas how I can do this?

    >Siren file rename (freeware).
    ><http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rplr/scarabee/en/Siren.htm>

    One of the most valuable renaming tools I've found, especially for
    digital photos, is "Rename Master". It allows using any of 89(?)
    different EXIF data tags to be used in the file-renaming variables
    string.

    It's 100% freeware.

    http://jackass.arsware.org/rm.php

    Don't let the name of the site upset you, he means well, and does a
    fine job of providing some excellent free utilities. Another of his
    free utilities, "arsclip", does more than most other clipboard
    monitors and catalogers I've tried, and again it's 100% freeware.

    JustPassinThru, Aug 24, 2004
  6. JustPassinThru <> writes:

    > On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 23:38:53 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>sean darcy <> writes:
    >>
    >>> I've got a whole bunch 0f jpeg files named dscxxxxxx.jpg. I want to
    >>> change each file name to yy.mm.dd.hh.jpg ( or any other reasonable
    >>> format) using the exif info in the file.
    >>>
    >>> Anybody got any ideas how I can do this?

    >>Siren file rename (freeware).
    >><http://perso.wanadoo.fr/rplr/scarabee/en/Siren.htm>

    > One of the most valuable renaming tools I've found, especially for
    > digital photos, is "Rename Master". It allows using any of 89(?)
    > different EXIF data tags to be used in the file-renaming variables
    > string.

    So does Siren; over 90, actually. Also Microsoft Office and pdf
    document info, and sound file song info, and video file info. And
    supports info from the RAW files for many digital cameras.

    Does some clever things with drag and drop (dropping a *file* into it
    lets you work in that directory), good preview of renaming actions,
    lots of useful modifiers to apply to fields (for example I have it
    force the file extension to lowercase when renaming the camera
    originals).

    > It's 100% freeware.

    Same for Siren.

    > http://jackass.arsware.org/rm.php
    >
    > Don't let the name of the site upset you, he means well, and does a
    > fine job of providing some excellent free utilities. Another of his
    > free utilities, "arsclip", does more than most other clipboard
    > monitors and catalogers I've tried, and again it's 100% freeware.

    arsclip sounds interesting, I'll look it up. For that matter Rename
    Master sounds interesting, though nothing mentioned yet will lead me
    to change (Siren does *exactly* what I want right now, so little
    incentive to look for alternatives; but other people might find a
    better fit elsewhere of course).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 24, 2004
  7. On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 15:26:24 -0500, David Dyer-Bennet
    <> wrote:

    >> One of the most valuable renaming tools I've found, especially for
    >> digital photos, is "Rename Master". It allows using any of 89(?)
    >> different EXIF data tags to be used in the file-renaming variables
    >> string.

    >So does Siren; over 90, actually. Also Microsoft Office and pdf
    >document info, and sound file song info, and video file info. And
    >supports info from the RAW files for many digital cameras.
    >
    >Does some clever things with drag and drop (dropping a *file* into it
    >lets you work in that directory), good preview of renaming actions,
    >lots of useful modifiers to apply to fields (for example I have it
    >force the file extension to lowercase when renaming the camera
    >originals).
    >
    >> It's 100% freeware.

    >Same for Siren.

    Thanks for this further info, I'll have to check it out. I'm no
    brand-name-whore -- even when it comes to free-ware. :) If something
    better comes along I'll use it! This one sounds very interesting
    too. It's always nice to have more options.

    Thanks!

    btw: For those that want to embed an image overlay of date/time/exif
    info right on their photos in batch post-processing, (in lieu of
    letting a camera do that in an irreparable way), I use "DCE
    AutoEnhance" http://www.mediachance.com/dce/index.html

    While it's not freeware it's the only one I found that does this so
    well with enough options. (It also does an admirable job for many of
    its other features, I often use it for batch resizing photos for
    web-page galleries, downsizing and optimizing to set file-size
    limits in one step.) My only gripe with it is that you can't resize
    any of its work-room on your screen, making it difficult to use with
    higher-resolution desktop settings. If anyone knows of a better
    utility for this purpose (tagging photos with exif info overlays)
    I'm always on the lookout for something better.

    If you go to their website to check it out be sure to get some of
    their free-ware "Camera Tools". Their FilterSim (kodak wratten
    filter emulator) managed to save a few badly color shifted-photos
    that a friend wanted me to repair for them, that I couldn't
    adequately fix using any other method. Out of desperation I started
    pulling out all the little utilities I had collected over the years.
    I no longer fear severely age-degraded ektachromes now. These were a
    nightmare, and FilterSim fixed them with just one click (and an
    experienced guess on which filter to use). Natural skin-tones and
    grays were restored as if taken just yesterday on a new digital
    camera. I feel I owe them a plug for their free-ware for how much
    time and frustration they saved for me. :)

    (Hmm, that reminds me, I wonder why analog film pundits aren't
    running around talking about age, light, dirt, and fungus degraded
    dyes and emulsions when in this chat room when still trying to
    convince everyone how film is still always better. Let us take 15
    year old film and compare it to 15 year old digital data for
    resolution tests. They can take their film and shove it. :) I'm just
    glad I have the tools now to repair all the headaches and nightmares
    that that media has created for everyone for decades. The only
    gratitude that I owe to film is that it forced me to do photography
    as if every shot counted -- that lesson has ported over to digital
    very well.)

    Sorry, just rambling.

    JustPassinThru, Aug 25, 2004
  8. sean darcy

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:14:46 GMT, JustPassinThru
    <> wrote:

    >One of the most valuable renaming tools I've found, especially for
    >digital photos, is "Rename Master". It allows using any of 89(?)
    >different EXIF data tags to be used in the file-renaming variables
    >string.
    >
    >It's 100% freeware.
    >
    >http://jackass.arsware.org/rm.php

    That looks good; Thanks!