Major Step Ahead for Cryptography

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by nemo_outis, May 28, 2010.

  1. nemo_outis

    nemo_outis Guest

    "nemo_outis" <> wrote in

    As I said in the "truecrypt access claimed?" thread on
    alt.security.scramdisk on May 22:

    > (Aside: What would be ideal is if we could magically work
    > on data while it was still encrypted. Somewhat
    > surprisingly, it was recently proved that it is
    > theoretically possible to do this. However, the abstract
    > proof involves an unbelievably complicated and slow process
    > that is completely impractical even on the fastest
    > supercomputer. But still, perhaps one day.)

    Well, there's been another signficant step towards this. Here's
    Smart's paper adding on to Gentry's original work:

    Fully Homomorphic Encryption with Relatively
    Small Key and Ciphertext Sizes
    http://www.info.unicaen.fr/M2-AMI/articles-2009-2010/smart.pdf

    For those who find the paper tough sledding, here's an
    assessment in layman's terms:

    Major step ahead for cryptography
    http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2010-05/uob-msa052510.php

    Regards,