Major problems with Firefox

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Mark Adams, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    I installed ver. 1.0 under Mandrake Linux 10.1 a few weeks ago and it
    has been working fine. I installed the Starfox Xpanded 2.3.1 theme and
    a handful of extensions and cruised along nicely. This evening Firefox
    stopped responding -- it would open to my homepage normally, but then it
    just sat there and mousing over links didn't change the cursor, didn't
    activate the link, clicking on it did nothing. I had to kill the
    process to get the window to go away.

    I wound up completely uninstalling and then reinstalling the binary a
    couple of times. I even reinstalled the RPM of 1.0rc which worked but
    couldn't be updated. I finally got the binary to work as expected. I
    reinstalled the Starfox theme and some extensions. The theme worked,
    but the extensions wouldn't install.

    The extensions window told me that each extension would be installed
    when I restarted FF. Restarting FF had no effect. I tried to uninstall
    the extensions. The entries in the extensions window told me that the
    items would be uninstalled when I restarted FF. They were never
    uninstalled. I had to manually uninstall them by editing the
    Extensions.rdf file in my home directory.

    I really like FF but I'm struggling here. Any idea what's going on?

    Thanks.
    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    CONSIDER: ===========---------,,,,,,,,,............. . . . . .
    A hammer sometimes misses its mark - a bouquet never.

    Mark Adams, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Mark Adams

    Mark Adams Guest

    Mark Adams wrote:
    > I installed ver. 1.0 under Mandrake Linux 10.1 a few weeks ago and it
    > has been working fine. I installed the Starfox Xpanded 2.3.1 theme and
    > a handful of extensions and cruised along nicely. This evening Firefox
    > stopped responding -- it would open to my homepage normally, but then it
    > just sat there and mousing over links didn't change the cursor, didn't
    > activate the link, clicking on it did nothing. I had to kill the
    > process to get the window to go away.

    Resolved.

    It seems the switchproxy extension started the whole thing. Out of the
    clear blue it just started locking up the browser. Reinstalling
    everything was hampered by file permissions in the shared installation
    directory rather than the profile directory.

    For now at lest, it's working as long as I don't try and install the
    proxy switcher.

    --
    Mark E. Adams, 2004 -- drop the "dot" to email me.
    http://adamslan.shyper.com

    Let's not complicate our relationship by trying to communicate with each
    other.

    Mark Adams, Feb 21, 2005