Major problem with new graphic card

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jerry Manner, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Jerry Manner

    Jerry Manner Guest

    Hi

    I have a ATI Radeon 9200 ( 128mb ddr with dvi tv) card which I am trying to
    install in my system Here are my system configuration:

    W98SE, PIII 700Mhz, Abit BX MainBoard, 128MB memory.

    When placing teh card in my system and starting my pc. I use the cd of the
    card to install the driver and configuration program. That goes fine untill
    I restart my system. The card is giving me a hardware conflict warning.
    Looking in my device manager I see that for all my PCI controllers( PCI
    Ethernet Controller, PCI Input Controller, PCI ISA Bridge, PCI Mass Storage
    Controller, PCI Multimedia Audio Device) I have a question mark. Before the
    installation of the card I didn't had any of these. In the device manager I
    also have question mark for the ATI Radeon card. Looking at the message on
    the property of this card I see the following message
    "This device cannot find free I/O-sources for use of (Code:12)" ( I tried to
    translate this in english as good as I can for I have a dutch version of
    W98)

    I have installed the AGP driver of Intell before I installed the card, but
    still I have this strange problems.

    Can someone please help me out???

    Kind Regards

    Jerry Manner, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Jerry Manner

    °Mike° Guest

    Explanation of Error Codes Generated by Device Manager

    Code 12

    This device cannot find any free <type> resources to use.
    (Code 12)

    If you want to use this device, you must disable another
    device that is using the resources this device needs. To
    do this, click Hardware Troubleshooter and follow the
    instructions in the wizard.

    where <type> is a resource type (IRQ, DMA, Memory, or I/O).

    Solution button: Hardware Troubleshooter

    This code means that one of the resource arbitrators failed.
    This can occur if the device is software configurable and it
    does not currently have a resource (if the system is out of
    resources). For example, all the interrupts are in use, or the
    device requests a resource that is currently in use by another
    device that will not release the resource.

    To resolve this problem, follow the instructions in the Hardware
    Troubleshooter. In addition, see the "Troubleshooting Conflicting
    Hardware" topic in Windows 95 Help, or see the following article
    in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    ARTICLE-ID:
    TITLE: Troubleshooting Device Conflicts with Device Manager

    On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 16:21:15 +0200, in
    <bmbno0$krqao$-berlin.de>
    Jerry Manner scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Jerry Manner

    Harrison Guest

    Enter the BIOS setup and make sure that it is configured for plug and
    play and that no PCI resources are manually assigned or reserved. Set
    all resource assignments to "Auto".

    Harrison, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Jerry Manner

    Jerry Manner Guest

    Hi

    Thank you for replying.
    Do I have to fix all the PCI controllers with question mark first in order
    to solve my problem? Or can I just delete them from the device manager? Do I
    need all those PCI controllers in order to let my card function?

    Regards

    Jerry Manner, Oct 12, 2003
  5. Jerry Manner

    Harrison Guest

    Don't bother with the device manager until you have checked and
    corrected the BIOS settings. Also, if possible, try not to use the PCI
    adjacent to the AGP slot as these two share resources on some systems.

    Harrison, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Jerry Manner

    Jerry Manner Guest

    Hi

    I have checked my BIOS. All my IRQ are set on auto. So what else do I need
    to check now?

    Kind Regards

    Jerry Manner, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Jerry Manner

    Harrison Guest

    Check the ATi website and see if they have an updated driver.
    Also see if there is a utility to completely uninstall the previous
    drives.

    Harrison, Oct 12, 2003