    they come with hardware limit of 4GB on RAM and installed 2-3 GB RAM.
    I am not asking about special-order laptops but retail/mainstream.

    , Apr 3, 2008

  2. Probably as much a function of RAM prices/availability. The current laptop
    processors can handle 8 GB fairly well, but the BIOS needs to catch up and
    the SoDIMMs need to be readily available. Right now, 2 GB DDR2 SoDIMMs are
    available, but 4 GB DDR2 SoDIMMs are very hard to find. And quite expensive.

    64-bit on shipping laptops, however, hasn't been hard to find for quite a
    while. Heck, I bought my laptop (Acer Ferrari 4000) with 64-bit Windows XP
    almost 3 years ago.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Apr 3, 2008

  3. Guest

    On Apr 3, 9:52 am, wrote:
    > Any idea when mainstream/retail laptops start using 64-bit Vista and
    > more than 4GB RAM?
    >
    > Currently, I rarely see any 64-bit laptops in retail, and even when I
    > see them
    > they come with hardware limit of 4GB on RAM and installed 2-3 GB RAM.
    > I am not asking about special-order laptops but retail/mainstream.

    I've been trying to find this out myself. My first step is to rule
    out anything that isn't on the Santa Rosa chipset. I've been limiting
    my search to Fujitsu and managed to find details about their bios on
    the net. However, there was no mention of memory remap. My email went
    unanswered or lost in the spam trap, so I will have to call them. My
    problem is just because some person says it is so on the phone,
    reality may be different. That is why I rather have it in writing.

    Obviously if the vendor sells the notebook with 64 bit vista, that is
    a good start. Still, that alone would not insure you can reach the 4G
    limit.

    , Apr 5, 2008
  4. Barb Bowman Guest

    actually, HP is making a consumer notebook with 4GB RAM, x64
    Ultimate. It is a TX2000 - true tablet, all kinds of entertainment
    features, etc. this is a main stream consumer laptop. I'm expecting
    a review unit today I believe. I don't know which models of this
    will hit the retail channel, but some will.

    On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 19:55:43 -0700, "Edward Eisenheim"
    <> wrote:

    >You wont find anything decent at Best Buy or Costco. That is strictly low
    >level consumer stuff.
    >
    >You need to go to Lenovo.com or Dell.com and configure a laptop properly. I
    >have a ThinkPad R61 and Vista Business 64 bit. It is awesome! I wouldn't
    >trade it for anything, but you're not going to find a laptop properly spec'd
    >out at a retail store.
    >
    ><> wrote in message
    >> Any idea when mainstream/retail laptops start using 64-bit Vista and
    >> more than 4GB RAM?
    >>
    >> Currently, I rarely see any 64-bit laptops in retail, and even when I
    >> see them
    >> they come with hardware limit of 4GB on RAM and installed 2-3 GB RAM.
    >> I am not asking about special-order laptops but retail/mainstream.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Apr 7, 2008
  5. Guest

    On Apr 6, 10:55 pm, "Edward Eisenheim" <> wrote:
    > You wont find anything decent at Best Buy or Costco. That is strictly low
    > level consumer stuff.
    >
    > You need to go to Lenovo.com or Dell.com and configure a laptop properly. I
    > have a ThinkPad R61 and Vista Business 64 bit. It is awesome! I wouldn't
    > trade it for anything, but you're not going to find a laptop properly spec'd
    > out at a retail store.
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    I am not asking what is available at retail ***today***

    The question is "when mainstream/retail laptops start using
    64-bit Vista and more than 4GB RAM?", the keyword here
    is ***when***, i.e. in 1 year, in 2 years, etc. If you want
    a definition of retail, assume the store shelves at CompUSA.

    I expected some people providing an analysis on the basis
    of things like preinstalled RAM in an average retail laptop over time,
    e.g. one year ago it was about 1-2 GB RAM, now it is about
    2-3GB RAM. This would imply the retail laptops would break 4GB
    in about 2 years.

    , Apr 7, 2008
  6. It seems like you have answered your own question. I would contact a major
    vendor like HP or Acer and ask your question. I suspect the governing
    factor is the thermal and power characteristics of 2GB sodimms.

    Colin Barnhorst, Apr 7, 2008